The Archie Battersbee case #5

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
On the 6.30 itv news they stated that they had until 9am to apply to the hospital for a hospice move.
Hollie was complaining that it was impossible to fill out such a complicated form by 9am.
Hospital stated that if the form wasn't received in time life support would be withdrawn at 11am.
Does anyone know what the form is she is complaining about?

Reactions: 1
i bleeping hate the co-opting of disability rights in these cases. Yes, Archie was disabled, but the hospital are not doing this because they believe his life isn’t valuable and that he’d be better off dead than alive with ADHD, they’re doing it because he has no chance of recovery from his TBI and is dead. Which sounds harsh but the papers say there is 0 chance of any kind of recovery.

Did the AA pipe up when disabled people were unlawfully given DNRs during covid? Do they care about medical ableism? Are they going to campaign for better support for disabled children, adults and their families? No, because our lives only bleeping matter when it’s to push an agenda. They’re the first ones to tell us to duck off and die in any other situation.
Exactly. Using the disability card was just another dirty tactic but she thought that would be the Trump cars as in "they can't turn him down if he has disabilities because that will make them look bad" his adhd has nothing to do with his current situation. That's like saying kids with adhd should be giving a chance in life even when there is none but someone with no disabilities shouldn't! Weird

Reactions: 18
On the 6.30 itv news they stated that they had until 9am to apply to the hospital for a hospice move.
Hollie was complaining that it was impossible to fill out such a complicated form by 9am.
Hospital stated that if the form wasn't received in time life support would be withdrawn at 11am.
I know they’ve made things as difficult as possible for the hospital but this sounds quite harsh at face value.
At the end of the day, his mother is in complete denial about the death of her child. It’s such a sad situation.

Reactions: 4
Complicated for her but most likely it would be her "legal team" writing it or at least telling her "X marks the spot".
I just can't fathom why her legal advisors aren't now saying "Enough is enough, it's futile."

Reactions: 16
She’s complaining that there are 8 security guards around his room at the hospital and it’s not a peaceful place for him- WHO’S FAULT IS THAT?
Hollie has been whipping up hatred and riled up her moronic supporters on fb ‘Archie’s army’ (aka a bunch of chavs on benefits who have lee rigby as their profile piks) who have threatened to blockade the room preventing doctors & nurses from getting in & have even threatened to kidnap him in an attempt to revive him back to life?!?
You CANNOT make this tit up. I can only imagine how the other families on the ward with their poorly children must be coping-
This is entirely HOLLIES fault by inciting this circus saying things like he’s being ‘murdered & executed’
Atrocious behaviour from a grieving mother…

• Heart
Reactions: 35
Am I allowed to say the following... For a start why wasn't she aware of her son either participating in a Tik Tok phenomenon or trying to take his own life, how long was he left with a bag on his head? I understand she doesn't want to lose her son but the hospital know that the child will never function without the aid of breathing equipment, etc, he's in a vegetative state, what life - if he survived - would that be for both him and her, it's awful, a young child will lose his life over a moment of Internet madness but the reality is its cruel (and expensive) to keep somebody alive who's brain dead. Apologises if this offends somebody but it's the logical thing to do for the poor boy.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I know they’ve made things as difficult as possible for the hospital but this sounds quite harsh at face value.
At the end of the day, his mother is in complete denial about the death of her child. It’s such a sad situation.
Harsh? Her abuse directed at the medical staff is harsh.

Reactions: 30
There will be another attempt tomorrow to delay. She will just keep whipping up the supporters into a frenzy and play every game she can. I really don’t think tomorrow is the end. I hope I’m wrong.

• Angry
Reactions: 15
'Gimmie a horsepice bed or a'll kikya hed in'

Should probably suffice.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
What is the point of applying for a hospice bed? He won't make it out of his hospital room alive for goodness sake!

Reactions: 17
I wonder why they’ve frozen the AA page - the army must be going bananas. All the ones stating how they cried all night. The ones who made shrines. The ones who got tattoos. She’s just cut them all off. Shows you what she thinks of them really.

• Sick
  • Sad
Reactions: 19
I had a similar thing happen to me when I first started out, We turned the person over and they let out a huge sigh and I nearly went into heart failure, I thought they were coming back to life! Scary at the time but funny looking back on it.
Same here it can give you a shock, before i worked in hospitals and with humans i
actually worked in veterinary for many years. When we put animals to sleep we would tell the owners about the reflexes so they expected it. A dog or cat would pass away and sometimes afterwards just move a paw, but i have seen it where they look like they are running with all limbs moving fast which can be distressing to see.

• Heart
  • Sad
It's a reflex action.
When I first started as a care assistant, before doing my nurse training, I did know much about the human body. As in, you leave a dead body for at least 1 HR before laying out to let all the air out .
First time I didn't, 30 mins had passed, we turned the body to wash their back, they farted(an involuntary action), and sat up
Never stopped running, screaming, till I reached the car park outside the nursing home ..
The human body does some strange things as it's powering down ....

I don’t know if you meant to quote me….I know it’s a reflex that’s why I said it’s the grasp reflex 🙃

My friend was in Alder Hey with her daughter at the time, the rabble took residence on a strip of grass in the middle of a busy dual carriageway outside the hospital. They had bouncy castles, PA systems and deck chairs.
Thomas Evans was frequently outside smoking weed, when he wasn’t addressing his army from on top of a bus shelter. The family would sit on the ward drinking alcohol, the parents would barricade the door to the room whilst they had sex.
Wtf this is depraved
Who has sex next to their critically ill baby in a hospital

• Sick
  • Wow
Just read this entire thread and need a nap now. Poor child, what a dreadful situation.

Just to clear up a few hospice-related posts that I’ve seen:
It is very possible to transfer a mechanically ventilated person to a children’s hospice for end of life care. Usually this will be for a pre-agreed, short, period of time before extubation takes place and ventilation is removed.
It would have been discussed with the family that it is possible the child will die en-route, as the journey can cause the child to become clinically unstable.
But mostly, this sort of transfer takes meticulous planning over a period of time. It’s not something you can usually just do the next day. I imagine the hospice has already been involved, in some form.

Children’s hospices in the UK are charities, not NHS. Many now ask for patient-specific NHS funding from commissioners as it is too expensive to fund from their charitable money.
It is not a pointless exercise to have end of life care in a hospice in situations like this as it’s an environment that can make the process easier. It’s quieter than an intensive unit, less pressure to hurry and often an entirely new set of staff, unrelated to an existing difficult situation, can be beneficial. The family will be able to choose to have their child remain at the hospice for a period of time after death, to spend time together and start to plan the next steps - registering the death, funeral planning and so on. This can be really a really helpful time.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Wouldn't put it past Hollie to say her son was murdered when life support is turned off.

• Sick
Reactions: 10
"Is that the way forward in this country? We're allowed to execute children now because they've got disabilities? What's next?'

Why is this woman getting away with such inflammatory statements? Why is no one challenging her venom? :mad:

• Angry
  • Heart
Reactions: 40
Based on what I've picked up from several comments - that a hospice takes time and that no hospice would accept someone in that condition - it looks to me like going through the motions. They've got until 9am to apply to the ECHR, they start piping up about hospices, so the hospital say you've got until 9am to sort out a hospice.

Reactions: 12
I understand she doesn't want to lose her son but the hospital know that the child will never function without the aid of breathing equipment, etc, he's in a vegetative state, what life - if he survived - would that be for both him and her
just wanted to add that he’s not in a vegetative state and I think this is where a lot of the confusion is coming from because the media isn’t reporting it properly. I’m not sure if that’s what you’re saying, sorry if I’ve misunderstood!!

If he was, it would relate to disability law as it’s a disorder of consciousness and then links to people’s perceptions of what a quality of life is (but obviously this isn’t the time or the place to get into that sort of discussion and I’m certainly not qualified or emotionally equipped as other than being disabled I have no medical background). From what I’ve read there is debate around whether a heartbeat = life but it is unanimous in the court documents that it is not a case of recovery but whether he dies whilst on life support or not 😢

A vegetative state is when a person is awake but is showing no signs of awareness.

A person in a vegetative state may:
  • open their eyes
  • wake up and fall asleep at regular intervals
  • have basic reflexes (such as blinking when they're startled by a loud noise or withdrawing their hand when it's squeezed hard)
They're also able to regulate their heartbeat and breathing without assistance.

But a person in a vegetative state doesn't show any meaningful responses, such as following an object with their eyes or responding to voices.

They also show no signs of experiencing emotions.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.