Tennis 🎾

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Very interesting article. I always liked Simona but I agree she is a doper. She got very snippy about Caro's comment even though as the article points out she made the same comments about Sharapova.
Maybe Djokovic got caught out in the same way and that's why he isn't playing Miami :unsure:

Reactions: 1
Maybe Djokovic got caught out in the same way and that's why he isn't playing Miami :unsure:
I've always said I wouldn't be shocked if it came out that Novak was the Lance Armstrong of the tennis World.

Rafa being a drug cheat wouldn't shock me either. Not saying he is one but wouldn't be completely shocked either

• Angry
Reactions: 2
I've always said I wouldn't be shocked if it came out that Novak was the Lance Armstrong of the tennis World.

Rafa being a drug cheat wouldn't shock me either. Not saying he is one but wouldn't be completely shocked either
There is absolutely no way Rafa is a cheat of any kind.

They are regularly tested so it seems unlikely they would successfully avoid detection after all these years.

• Haha
Reactions: 1
They are regularly tested so it seems unlikely they would successfully avoid detection after all these years.
It's actually quite easy to avoid detection in most Sports and in Tennis particularly. If you read the article, it's clear Simona got caught because she lost a match that she expected to win. The following is a comment that was left on the Times article online that doesn't shop in the archive version that gives more context to Simona and how she got caught.

Really informative article.
As you are testing athletes at physiological extremes there can be grey areas where it would be reasonable to support the athlete (eg. Ventolin doses as in Froome case particularly when adjustment for urine concentration didn't happen or endogenous testosterone) but this is one of the most clear cut cases of doping.
I hadn't realised that the timing of testing in tennis is related to how likely you are to go deep into the tournament, but if this is true then it's crazy and the unexpectedly early loss could be relevant. The half-life of roxadustat is about 12hrs, so even 2 days after the last dose there would only be one sixteenth of the dose left in the system while the biological effect (increased haemoglobin) will last weeks.
Roxadustat is very uncommonly used v EPO as a medicine hence it is highly unlikely to get into a product unless the company intended it. In addition the dose clearly was sufficient to cause a biological effect on the passport so we aren't looking at traces here.
This is a really disappointing decision and I'd be equally angry if I were Wozniacki.

Sports rely on individual Countries to carry out testing so if you live in Dubai which does pretty much no testing at all then the chances of you getting caught are practically zero. Roger Federer did get tested a lot because he predominately lived in Switzerland and the drug tester lived in the next village so he was always 'popping in' for a drug test and a chat but if Roger decided to spend a month in Dubai that would then give him an opportunity to dope (not that I think Roger did but the point is that any player could go to Dubai in the Winter under the guise of a warm weather block of training and pretty much dope with impunity.

• Wow
I’ve fallen down a bit of a tennis/doping rabbit hole. 🫤

It’s waaaaaaaaay murkier than I ever imagined!

This is the player that Rafa beat in the French Open final in 2005, who was subsequently banned for 8 years for doping (reduced to 2 years on the basis of what he later admitted were outright lies in his defence)