Teeth and Dental work

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Bizarre one!
I’m under 30 and have absolutely crap teeth and it’s really starting to get me down.
My parents were very strict on sugar when I was young, no fizzy drinks/juice/sweets etc. My dentist says my oral hygiene is brilliant and I’m just unlucky.
I feel every time I go to the dentist I need new fillings or replacement fillings (some huge ones) and I’m very close to a couple of root canals or even extractions of my back teeth.

So I’m curious to know just how unlucky I am!! How old are you and what’s the state of your mouth? 😂

Reactions: 6
Also under 30. I have some mild enamel erosion on my front teeth and four fillings. I had metal fillings put in as a teen but I paid to have them replaced with composite ones a few years back.

I haven't seen the dentist for over a year because of COVID but for the past few years at my six month check-ups I usually just get a clean and am sent on my way.

Reactions: 3
I'm 44, had a few fillings and a root canel. I am the worlds most pathetic person at the dentist, he has to give me a valium prescription to be able to do anything. Recently a filling fell out and I'm really putting off going.

I’m 47 and finally lost my last baby tooth last year 😁
I didn’t come from the sort of family that took their kids to dental appointments and so I finally had orthodontics at age 30. I had cranial orthodontics to correct an overbite and then further braces after I lost more of my baby teeth two years later. I’m now about to start orthodontics number 3 to bring down my retained canine ... it’ll be amazing to finally see what my teeth are supposed to look like when they’re all there 🤣
I’m lucky that I’ve never had fillings and my teeth are good ... probably because I got them through so much later than usual

Bizarre one!
I’m under 30 and have absolutely crap teeth and it’s really starting to get me down.
My parents were very strict on sugar when I was young, no fizzy drinks/juice/sweets etc. My dentist says my oral hygiene is brilliant and I’m just unlucky.
I feel every time I go to the dentist I need new fillings or replacement fillings (some huge ones) and I’m very close to a couple of root canals or even extractions of my back teeth.

So I’m curious to know just how unlucky I am!! How old are you and what’s the state of your mouth? 😂
You're pretty much describing me here! I'm 29 next week and so far have had 5 extractions and 2 root canals! I'm very unlucky lol, my teeth are all in good condition as in none of them are rotting, they're all nice and white and straight. I just have no luck 🤣

Reactions: 2
I'm 44, had a few fillings and a root canel. I am the worlds most pathetic person at the dentist, he has to give me a valium prescription to be able to do anything. Recently a filling fell out and I'm really putting off going.
I definitely know that feeling!! But having been that person that put off a dentist trip it resulted in a humongous filling in one of my molars which basically takes up the entire tooth 😢

You're pretty much describing me here! I'm 29 next week and so far have had 5 extractions and 2 root canals! I'm very unlucky lol, my teeth are all in good condition as in none of them are rotting, they're all nice and white and straight. I just have no luck 🤣
Me too, my smile is all fine... the back teeth however!! I think there’s a filling (some have two) in every single one

I feel your pain. I’ve been very unlucky with my teeth. Had to have some removed as a kid due to overcrowding. Got my first adult filling at 12 (I’m 32 now) and since then I’ve had basically every one of my back teeth filled at least once - my record was 3 fillings in one dentist visit. Have one cracked tooth that needed to be restored as a lot of it came away (I think it was filled too deeply). They are now saying a couple of my old fillings are too close to the nerve - I’m not sure what this even means for me to be honest! I’ve been so careful, I don’t drink fizzy drinks and never have. I brush twice a day and use mouthwash. I live in such fear of losing a tooth.

On top of that I’ve had braces twice and have to get them whitened as they are naturally a horrible yellow colour. I inherited the terrible teeth from my mums side of the family! I pay so much just to keep them looking “average” 😂

Late twenties, 1 filling last year.
overall teeth are in good condition, but very yellow (sadly naturally). Had braces but the teeth have moved again, so may look into having more orthodontics in the future...

Reactions: 1
I feel your pain. I’ve been very unlucky with my teeth. Had to have some removed as a kid due to overcrowding. Got my first adult filling at 12 (I’m 32 now) and since then I’ve had basically every one of my back teeth filled at least once - my record was 3 fillings in one dentist visit. Have one cracked tooth that needed to be restored as a lot of it came away (I think it was filled too deeply). They are now saying a couple of my old fillings are too close to the nerve - I’m not sure what this even means for me to be honest! I’ve been so careful, I don’t drink fizzy drinks and never have. I brush twice a day and use mouthwash. I live in such fear of losing a tooth.

On top of that I’ve had braces twice and have to get them whitened as they are naturally a horrible yellow colour. I inherited the terrible teeth from my mums side of the family! I pay so much just to keep them looking “average” 😂
We sound very similar, though luckily I’ve never needed braces. So frustrating as I have friends with zero fillings and they are constantly eating and drinking sugar!!

Late twenties, 1 filling last year.
overall teeth are in good condition, but very yellow (sadly naturally). Had braces but the teeth have moved again, so may look into having more orthodontics in the future...
Very envious of your 1 filling! I’ve lost count..

37 and 2 fillings which I recently got replaced with white ones. I had braces as a teenager and while I hated it at the time I'm so glad I did, people do comment that I have nice teeth 🙈 They do require maintenance though, I whiten them every few weeks. My husband has perfect teeth without having to do anything but brush twice a day which pisses me off lol

Very envious of your 1 filling! I’ve lost count..
I have no clue how, other than I’m more of a savoury person so maybe that helps? That said, I forgot to mention my ridiculous overbite and extra row of teeth that were removed so I could get braces 😂
I do genuinely think teeth are naturally good or bad, it’s so tit for those that have to pay depressing amounts of money to have decent teeth 😢

30, had 1 filling . My mum was strict with sugar bringing us up, but I’ve been terrible since my 20’s so i probably have it all to come 😂

My turn to shine!! I had stains on my adult teeth that my pediatric dentist said were not harmful. When I switched dentists the new dentist saw the stains and filled ALL of them "just in case."

That was 16 fillings. Eight on the top and 8 on the bottom. The novocaine doesn't work well on me because I burn through it too quickly, so after 6 shots I just had to white knuckle the pain.

My orthodontist fit me with a retainer that was too tight that caused one of my teeth to crack. I had a root canal on that one, which was actually less painful than my 16 fillings.

Those fillings were done so poorly that one of them popped straight out of my mouth. When I went to get it filled at a different dentist, he told me I had 12 more cavities.

I got a second opinion and was told that he was scamming me. Turns out I had 6 cavities though, all surrounding the original fillings that were done poorly.

I wish I'd never let them fill those stains to begin with! Too bad I couldn't have seen my pediatric dentist forever :/

• Wow
Reactions: 5
46 and 1 filling, I have had teeth out due to over crowding and braces though. I haven’t got a sweet tooth but grew up with unlimited sugary stuff available so must just be lucky

30, had 1 filling . My mum was strict with sugar bringing us up, but I’ve been terrible since my 20’s so i probably have it all to come 😂
You must just have teeth of steel 🤪

My turn to shine!! I had stains on my adult teeth that my pediatric dentist said were not harmful. When I switched dentists the new dentist saw the stains and filled ALL of them "just in case."

That was 16 fillings. Eight on the top and 8 on the bottom. The novocaine doesn't work well on me because I burn through it too quickly, so after 6 shots I just had to white knuckle the pain.

My orthodontist fit me with a retainer that was too tight that caused one of my teeth to crack. I had a root canal on that one, which was actually less painful than my 16 fillings.

Those fillings were done so poorly that one of them popped straight out of my mouth. When I went to get it filled at a different dentist, he told me I had 12 more cavities.

I got a second opinion and was told that he was scamming me. Turns out I had 6 cavities though, all surrounding the original fillings that were done poorly.

I wish I'd never let them fill those stains to begin with! Too bad I couldn't have seen my pediatric dentist forever :/
That’s something that really freaks me out about dentists, whether you genuinely need work doing or if they’re doing it to make some more money. I know from friends in the states they are terrible for scamming people like that and then in adulthood their teeth are literally crumbling.

46 and 1 filling, I have had teeth out due to over crowding and braces though. I haven’t got a sweet tooth but grew up with unlimited sugary stuff available so must just be lucky
So lucky!!

37 and 2 fillings which I recently got replaced with white ones. I had braces as a teenager and while I hated it at the time I'm so glad I did, people do comment that I have nice teeth 🙈 They do require maintenance though, I whiten them every few weeks. My husband has perfect teeth without having to do anything but brush twice a day which pisses me off lol
I know plenty of people like that!! So unfair 😂

I'm 20 and I have a few extracted teeth and a lot of fillings. A lot of it is from me being scared of the dentists and just letting my teeth get bad but now I need a new filling every 6 or so months

Turns out my teeth are just crap. Doesn't matter how much I brush or floss 🤷‍♀️

Seems to be a running theme in the family

I'm 20 and I have a few extracted teeth and a lot of fillings. A lot of it is from me being scared of the dentists and just letting my teeth get bad but now I need a new filling every 6 or so months

Turns out my teeth are just crap. Doesn't matter how much I brush or floss 🤷‍♀️

Seems to be a running theme in the family
I feel your pain. My dentist has said there is nothing else I can do as my brushing/flossing is spot on. I just worry about how I’ll eat anything if I lose my molars😂 (the worst ones for big fillings!)

• Heart
It astounds me that in this day and age we don't have anything really to repair / replace enamel and the best they do is add composite that breaks off often within 1-18 months. I think it's a conspiracy as an enamel that could be painted on would put many dentists out of business 😆

The less you have done the better imo as it starts a process of ongoing and costly maintenance for the rest of your life. And don't go to Turkey to get your teeth filed down to pegs as teeth are part of your overall health! These influencers only do it because it's free for them.

I kinda think there's something in the root canal conspiracy theories and how they let something dead remain in your mouth. But that should go on the conspiracy theories thread 😶

Lidl versions of nked bars are the work of the devil as they often have a bit of the hard nut shell and that's fractured a tooth. The fruit and nut bars are generally horrific for teeth with how they stick anyway.

Reactions: 10
It astounds me that in this day and age we don't have anything really to repair / replace enamel and the best they do is add composite that breaks off often within 1-18 months. I think it's a conspiracy as an enamel that could be painted on would put many dentists out of business 😆

The less you have done the better imo as it starts a process of ongoing and costly maintenance for the rest of your life. And don't go to Turkey to get your teeth filed down to pegs as teeth are part of your overall health! These influencers only do it because it's free for them.

I kinda think there's something in the root canal conspiracy theories and how they let something dead remain in your mouth. But that should go on the conspiracy theories thread 😶

Lidl versions of nked bars are the work of the devil as they often have a bit of the hard nut shell and that's fractured a tooth. The fruit and nut bars are generally horrific for teeth with how they stick anyway.
Right!!! The body is designed to heal itself. Why do bones heal but teeth can’t? I remember reading an article probably near 2 years ago saying they were developing some kind of gel to help grow enamel. It worked on already pulled teeth but they were supposed to be trying it on mice and then humans...

I agree I know many people with health issues who have root canals, usually something like arthritis and other inflammatory things.

I had a cocoa nakd bar once and once was enough, a big chunk of a nut or whatever completely freaked me out. Stupid things!!