Supporting teen daughter relationship break-up (14yo)

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My daughter (14) has been with her boyf for 6 months, and were friends before (they go to the same school).

He was there for her as a friend when she experienced a pretty traumatic event in her life last November, and he was a really good support for her - he listened to her and talked her through a lot. She gets on well with his parents and he with us too. About a week ago she came home a bit upset that they had split up, she said he hurt her on her arm and they had argued - this is the first time this has happened. However, we have 'told them both off' for play fighting and being rough with each other in the past - she says this was another example of this but it went too far. We talked to her about it, we talked about time being spent together going forward being more structured and supervised because of what happened. She didn't take too well to this and through talking with her, and with them both together. Eventually we got to the truth of the matter with daughter that she had probably made it sound a bit worse than it was, that she felt bad about this and that they both accepted that they had to stop play fighting, but there was another boy implicated in all this as well which we we knew, and had explained to her that its ok for her to decide that this isn't what she wants anymore but she shouldn't try to get him into trouble to end it (even if she does perceive it to be "easier"!). We talked to them both about how it was never going to be ok for daughter to come home and say that she had been hurt whether it was rough play fighting or not.

Fast forward to now, daughter came to talk to me to tell me since the incident she just doesn't feel the same anymore but that she does care about him a lot and she doesn't want to hurt his feelings but she thinks she just wants to be on her own for a bit, she is struggling with relationships with female friends at school and them being b*tchy and she has boys who are friends who she would like to play football etc. with to get away from the drama but when she has been doing this her bf has been getting moody with her. However, she has been doing the same with him when he's been talking to girls. We talked about control etc. in relationships and how no one should expect you to change who you speak to etc. because your in a relationship (on both sides).

Now she spent time with the boyf yesterday and she asked me of how to handle the situation I told her just to talk to him, which she did, and she told him she didn't feel the same. The outcome of the day was that they have broken up, they are both devastated and she was crying her eyes out as well - I am really proud of her for doing the right thing even though it's been hard for her to do as well (and i've told her this) but I guess my question now is how I support her through this?

She was talking to some of her friends on facetime last night but again these were boys, I do worry that she is going to feel like she's made a mistake but she's her own person and I am going to have to just be there to support her... really appreciate any advice - thank you x

• Heart
Reactions: 2
It sounds like you have a good relationship with her as it is and that she can talk to you etc so I’m not sure you need to do anything more. let her know that you are there if she needs to chat, that it’s ok to feel a bit sad about tje break up etc but I’d be careful not to allow the situation to become bigger or more serious than it actually is; they are 14 year old kids - it shouldn’t be serious/the end of the world. Try to put it into perspective a bit for her and help her to move on from it.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Totally agree with Betty. Maybe ask her if she wants to do something nice with you to take her mind off it a bit. Doesn't need to be anything big, just looking round the shops or a film night at home (film, blankets, popcorn etc) you don't need to talk but knowing you're there will be a big comfort

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Thank you, I think that's really good advice I just worry that I could be doing something more - but I think perspective is a really key piece of advice - they are just kids... thank you X

Reactions: 1
Maybe have a girls night with some ice cream and a classic girls movies? That‘s what my mom did after my first break up and I still remember feeling a lot better afterwards ☺

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Well she slept in late, got up and got the bus into town to meet up with my niece and go shopping. She seems in reasonable spirits today but she's not herself, bless her ❤

Reactions: 2
Well she slept in late, got up and got the bus into town to meet up with my niece and go shopping. She seems in reasonable spirits today but she's not herself, bless her ❤
Teenage heartbreak is the worst! She will be ok.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I don't have real advice, but I just want to say that you sound like a really fab Mum.
It's great that your daughter is able to talk to you about it all ❤

• Heart
You sound like such a good Mum. I would NEVER have been comfortable when I was a teenager to talk to my Mum about these sorts of things, so absolute credit to you that she is able to. It sounds like you've done the best thing by talking to her, allowing her to be open etc. I would just reiterate to her that she can talk to you about anything, and remind her that whilst it may feel like the end of the world now, it will get better.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Thank you all so much, I always worry that I am not doing my best for her and as available as I should be too her ( she has younger siblings)... I know it's all a normal part of growing up but I am really proud of how she is handling the situation. Really appreciate you all taking the time to reply - thank you!

• Heart