Stuff you did as a kid that you wouldn’t do now

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Climb really tall trees
Do rock climbing .... I had no sense of fear and could climb things really easy but now I have the fear!
As a young adult, my friend and I would hitchhike home after we had been out drinking in town 🤯 we are so lucky that nothing bad ever happened.

At 17/8 I used to walk home from a night out in town using the most secluded route at gone 2am. I won't even go to the corner shop on my own now
omg same, the risks I took when I was a teenager/at uni terrify me now, also going back to random people's houses when no one had any idea where I was, if I do that now I always give the address to someone. As you said I don't go anywhere alone in the dark anymore

Reactions: 5
Swinging on my arms on the rail at the top of those really tall slides that used to be in playgrounds. I am terrified of heights now so it makes my blood run cold.

Reactions: 1
Eat jellied eels 😂🤮
Hang upside down off anything I could climb
Walk home drunk from a night out by myself (usually carrying my heels!)

I used to wake up 4-5am, take the dog and just go out and about for a walk without a care in the world (this was when Robert black was murdering young girls )

Jumping in piles of leaves in the park, knowing now that they must have been full of dog poo

Climbing up scaffolding, zooming down steep hills on roller skates and skateboards, climbing trees and onto the roof of my old primary school.

Reactions: 2
Chew gum or blow bubble gum (once blew a huge bubble and it popped and some got stuck in my hair). Do kids today still buy chewing or bubble gum?

I was a very very risk averse child and also had a phobia of getting dirty so I never did any kind of reckless play, I did have a bike but was always very cautious on it, and would never have climbed a tree, because what if I fell off?!

So nothing much as a kid, more as an adult, and more risks with personal safety - when I went to uni I'd often be walking round town late at night on my own (this was tame compared to friends who went to Sussex Uni who - because iirc the campus was a long way from central Brighton - used to hitch lifts into town regularly- that was a bit much even for me) and then when I moved back home and was working in London I'd do the 30 min walk from the station in heels at 1am, or later.

I'd still do it now though (albeit I only live 10 mins from a station now so a much shorter walk), but I definitely couldn't do it in heels.

Smile,
Play nicely with others,
It was awful. 😐

Not exactly in keeping with the thread but, buy cigarettes for my granny at the age of 6, being sent to the shop around the corner alone AT SIX to buy cigarettes 😂 you wouldn’t send a six year old anywhere alone now let alone 10 minutes around the corner with 10 pounds,
that was perfectly normal though,
Then you got your pocket money to buy the fake cigarettes or a mint crisp or macoroon bar at the weekend. The chocolate they put in them was amazing in fairness.
And I’d still do it but can’t 🤷‍♀️ Not the drugs for granny part. Obviously.

Attachments

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Used to jump my horse over a meter with no saddle and bridle (did wear a hat though) and hack her down a dual carriage way (fully tacked up this time!) That was 70mph and so busy. Absolutely no chance I would do either of those things these days 😳😳

I used to walk on the train tracks to get to the cinema with my friend and if a train came we'd just jump in the bushes and let it pass us, so stupid now i look back on it! We also used to hitch hike 🤦‍♀️

• Wow
Reactions: 4
I used to stick my fingers in the tiny holes in drains at the bottom of swimming pools. I also never really washed my hands apart from after using the toilet. I'd be outside picking up worms and other bugs and then come in for a sandwich without washing them 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Funfair rides - used to love them. Went on some hideous thing at Chessington with my then 10 year old next to me - she was crying and I thought I was going to have a heart atack. Never again!

Smile,
Play nicely with others,
It was awful. 😐

Not exactly in keeping with the thread but, buy cigarettes for my granny at the age of 6, being sent to the shop around the corner alone AT SIX to buy cigarettes 😂 you wouldn’t send a six year old anywhere alone now let alone 10 minutes around the corner with 10 pounds,
that was perfectly normal though,
Then you got your pocket money to buy the fake cigarettes or a mint crisp or macoroon bar at the weekend. The chocolate they put in them was amazing in fairness.
And I’d still do it but can’t 🤷‍♀️ Not the drugs for granny part. Obviously.
My friend's mum sent her to the shop with £20 to get cigs when she was about 8, the £20 was lost before she even got to the shop! I'll never forget her panic when she knocked on my door to ask me to help her find it. We didn't find it!

• Sad
Camp out in the garden, climb really high trees, rollercoaster rides and stealing from the pick and mix in Woolies :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
  • Heart
Used to walk through a dodgy park at like 2am on my own at 15. I’d be terrified to do that now 😂

Reactions: 3
Camp out in the garden, climb really high trees, rollercoaster rides and stealing from the pick and mix in Woolies :ROFLMAO:
Me and my friend got told off for nicking the pick n mix in Asda when we were teens 😂

• Haha
When I was younger, at various stages in my education I was at boarding school. Anyway this time I was about 5 or 6 and it was the class day out. There was a swimming pool and a lot of my friends were swimming and I thought that looks easy, I bet I can do that.

So you guessed it, I jumped in and it wasn't easy as it looked, I started to drown, fortunately the headmaster saw me drowning and jumped in and saved me. Fortunately I didn't need mouth to mouth.

Almost fifty years later I still can't swim, but that is something I won't be doing again 😃