Stuff you did as a kid that you wouldn’t do now

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Been talking to my other half tonight and he cannot believe that I won the south west BMX championship in 1998.

I was such a Tom boy and gave zero fucks about smashing my face into a floor... today I am pretty girly and would tit myself on a BMX.

Would love to give it a go though!

What did you guys do as a kid that you wouldn’t do now? Or do you still do your mental hobby?!

Would just like to add that in the pursuit of getting my child to take after me in BMXing, we have had 3 trips to hospital and one operation.

I now have the fear.

Reactions: 7
We lived on a steep hill and I'd skate down without even thinking. Anything with wheels I was on going stupid speeds. Fractured wrists x 4, broken elbow, broken nose and nearly took half my face off crashing into a curb.

No sense of danger, there's no way I'd do that tit now!

Reactions: 3
We lived on a steep hill and I'd skate down without even thinking. Anything with wheels I was on going stupid speeds. Fractured wrists x 4, broken elbow, broken nose and nearly took half my face off crashing into a curb.

No sense of danger, there's no way I'd do that tit now!
We used to have races by sliding down a steep (concrete) hill on milk crates that we used to borrow from the back of the newsagents nearby. One of us always ended up falling off and smashing our faces off the concrete but would pick up the crate, run back to the top and carry on 🤷🏽‍♂️

Also, go on rollercoasters and scary fair rides. I went on a swing a few months ago and I felt genuine fear as I got to a certain height and felt sick for about ten minutes after! (As a kid I used to swing much higher than that and then let go of the chains and jump off to see who could land the furthest)!

• Haha
I used to be a cyclist as a child, I even passed my cycling proficiency test (circa 1976) so I was properly trained.

No way in hell would I ride a bicycle now, far too dangerous.

• Haha
I used to do fighting competitions in Tae Kwon Do and used to be quite good at it, won a fair few competitions. Wouldn't do it now, too scared to get hurt.

Reactions: 1
I jumped out of one of those trains that take you around the resort on holiday once to see if I would fly and smacked right onto the concrete floor 🤣 So definitely wouldn’t do that now

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 12
At 17/8 I used to walk home from a night out in town using the most secluded route at gone 2am. I won't even go to the corner shop on my own now

• Heart
Reactions: 9
sliding down our stairs on tin trays and bikes right out the open door.

jump off the moving train at hackney downs every week to go to a club there.

Icey or snowing days we held on the backs of cars and went for a nice slide down the roads.

loads more things, how I survived I will never know

Rollerblading and roller skating without any sort of helmet or protective equipment, I didn’t care if I fell over that was actually part of the fun 😐 now I would just be so scared about knocking my teeth out! Also used to sit on a skateboard and go down this really steep hill by our house -literally IN THE ROAD wtf. Used to be able to do front flips/hand springs on solid floor, wouldn’t think twice about bashing one out in the playground or school gym with no matt down.

Also on a slightly different note I used to do lots of theatre stuff, which I’d never do now. Would get up and dance/sing on my own in front of people... I had no embarrassment! I also didn’t care that I also didn’t really have any talent 😂

Reactions: 2
I leapt off a moving swing and broke my ankle when I was 12 or so ... wouldn't try that again 😆

I'm one of twins but we are not identical and always lamented that we couldn't pull "twin switches." However on quite a few occasions we either managed to pull it off on the phone or with people we hadn't met before. On one occasion my sister told someone she was me, he later met me for real, and thought we were the same person despite the difference in our size (due to the way we were positioned in the womb, she got a lot more nutrients so now she is half a foot taller than I and about two dress sizes bigger.) We haven't really tried that again as adults although we probably should, it'd be funny

Going swimming in the sea, alone, as a 9 year old when I couldn’t swim particularly well, and when I hadn’t told anyone where I was going or what I was doing, just used to trot off down the local beach on my own in the summer holidays (was walking distance from my parents house) remote beach, never anyone around..... I used to challenge myself to swim out and tread water as far as I could and it was deep enough that you could feel the temperature change when you stuck your foot straight down....madness. Gives me the fear thinking about it now!!!

• Wow
Reactions: 6
I was a scruffy tomboy, they were building some new houses in our village and I managed to climb up the frame to the eaves! I’d climb trees and stuff, it was great. Mum used to buy me make up and deodorant 😆 I did become a bit more feminine eventually.

Like the above poster. Rollerblading down massive hills no helmets
Walking home from the night shift at a pub
Wouldn't even walk to local shop in the dark now

Play knock a door run. Think it’s frowned upon to do that at 31 years old.

• Haha
Reactions: 13
I used to be a cyclist as a child, I even passed my cycling proficiency test (circa 1976) so I was properly trained.

No way in hell would I ride a bicycle now, far too dangerous.
Isn't it just as dangerous on a motorcycle though?