Strictly Come Dancing 2023 #35

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Reading between the lines I’m guessing Amanda could be looking for evidence to support a mental injury.
this is really hard to prove in the workplace. I’d love to see one of the celebs contracts.
they couldn’t really have changed her partner as that would set a really tricky precedent.
im sure more will come out.
unfortunately for the bbc there are now a number of celebs who have not enjoyed Strictly over the years. The last thing they will want Is a light shone on this.
if Amanda has a case she can prove I reckon Fanny Rat will be chucked under the bus aa “Not aligning to Strictly values.”
if she can’t it will be another “lazy celebrity bit off more than they can chew/pressures in her personal life” spin.

Reactions: 7
I think it's important to bear in mind that two things can be true at the same time. Amanda may have been genuinely excited about being partnered with Gio, and she may have been honest about loving dancing with him in that clip post-dance. It can also be true that their partnership was toxic and had elements of abusive behaviour. That's often what makes it so mentally distressing, the swings between two extremes. If it's always bad, you can't justify it anywhere near as well as if you get the 'nice' version sometimes - it's that that will have you questioning your sanity.

TLDR: just because we have signs of Amanda being positive, doesn't mean it wasn't also awful for her.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
Reading between the lines I’m guessing Amanda could be looking for evidence to support a mental injury.
this is really hard to prove in the workplace. I’d love to see one of the celebs contracts.
I’d absolutely love to see an example of the contracts too - I bet they’re fascinating. 🤔

I think there’s a good chance that AA has asked for the footage because there’s some wrangling over the % of her fee that may/may not be deducted (it’d be madness if the contracts don’t include some element of forfeiture if withdrawal is avoidable or not due to verified physical/mental health reasons), so she possibly wants to present a case based on untenable working conditions.

Claims of PTSD and ‘suing’ the BBC/Giovanni are possibly just tabloid spin to spice the story up about (because contractual/financial negotiations are much less click-worthy)

Reactions: 14
Karens new bloke tagging her in things on insta with 😍❤ emojis.
I wonder how long until the 1st OK mag feature?

Reactions: 4
they couldn’t really have changed her partner as that would set a really tricky precedent.
im sure more will come out.
unfortunately for the bbc there are now a number of celebs who have not enjoyed Strictly over the years. The last thing they will want Is a light shone on this.
if Amanda has a case she can prove I reckon Fanny Rat will be chucked under the bus aa “Not aligning to Strictly values.”
if she can’t it will be another “lazy celebrity bit off more than they can chew/pressures in her personal life” spin.
I really don’t get the big deal about switching partners. It’s naive to think that a day of joshing around at training for a group dance can pair 15 or so people perfectly. Athletes change trainers regularly and even the pro dancers swap partners are teachers without pause.

For the celebs this is a one off experience and they are basically promised they will be looked after. If they are going to the Producers and being ignored or pooh-poohed then that looks bad on the production, not the celeb. I would say the last thing they want is their celebs (especially possibly their higher profile,bigger name celebs) saying to their mates ‘if Strictly come calling, hang up the phone‘ for the sake of trying to find a solution that kept the celeb sweet … even if they were eye rolling so hard behind closed doors.

Reactions: 7
It is still my opinion that Amanda’s partner found it difficult to see her so physically close to another man. They were only together five minutes when he had his terrible accident, and the relationship they would have had was changed forever. Knowing she was spending 12 hours a day getting up close and personal to someone with Gio’s reputation was too much for him. I get the impression that he didn’t want her to continue, which obviously caused friction with her/Gio and at home.
She is clearly a talented dancer and could have done well in the competition. The show should have partnered her with one of the pros who is happily coupled up, like Kai or Graz.
Ultimately though, I don’t really think she was in the right head space to take part in Strictly, whoever she was put with.
Added to this, the culture of 12 hour training days and working celebs into the ground needs to stop.

Reactions: 13
Strictly has always had couples who work extremely long hours - I remember I the early days of Claudia on ITT they used to quote how many hours training rhey were doing and some were working late into the night. Some celebs are working as well as doing SCD whereas others like Amanda are only contracted to just work for SCD sp can spend as much time as they like practicing. Obviously there has been a clash between them but I think the celebs need to be realistic and should be aware that these professionals want to get the best out of them. Not defending Gio at all but also think a line needs to be drawn. Daily Mail are loving all this PTSD click bait. Don't agree with swapping partners- it doesn't happen on any other shows. Think you've got to be professional and just see it as a job and hope to get voted out! There's more to this than meets the eye and probably both sides have a part to play!

Reactions: 5
I remember seeing Amandas partner in the audience thinking how tough it must be to watch her dancing like that with Gio. He certainly did lots of passive aggressive insta stories afterwards but that could just be him feeling protective of his partner.

Their relationship was very intense from the start. I know they had been talking on the phone for ages but he asked her to marry him 30 mins into their first date and she said yes! I dated someone who I didn’t meet for ages due to the pandemic. Yes we spent hours talking on the phone and on FaceTime and it all felt very intense due to the circumstances but if 30 mins into our first meeting I’d had a proposal I would have been climbing out of the window to escape! It was only 5 weeks later that he had his accident. At 5 weeks you should be in the exciting fun getting to know each other stage not finding yourself engaged to someone who has had a big accident. A spinal injury is life changing not only for the injured person but also for their loved ones.

Less than 2 years after all that I certainly wouldn’t be in a position where I was emotionally ready to take on a challenge that is so full of pressure. I’m sure that Gio was a prick to her because I think he is a prick in general. He clearly has a huge ego which I think has run away with him and he thinks he is the main character. When that happens professionals should bugger off and indulge their ego in crap reality tv. I think the Strictly bosses should have pulled Gio up on his attitude before now, especially if he was bitching about Strictly on his personal tour. He could have been benched or given a duffer, he’s been very lucky with his partnerships in general in his time on Strictly. In her circumstances she would probably have been better with a nurturer like Graz or Jojo. I suspect that the press are blowing it out of proportion and it’s a pay thing like mentioned above.

Reactions: 20
Ellie said Amanda was like a second mum to her in London. If you compare them, both are paired with Italian pro’s known to be perfectionists and both could be seen as being vulnerable if you consider the year Ellie had before going in.

There is no doubt that Vito is competitive, but he also wanted Ellie “to have the best Strictly journey for as long as possible”, he understood she wanted to have fun but also saw that she needed her confidence building.
Ellie could commit to 12 hour training days as she had no work or family responsibilities, but it is a lot easier to do those long days when they consist of lots of physical activity (inc. dance training) interspersed with snacks, naps and laughter.

I don’t think Amanda got anywhere near the same experience as Ellie in those first few weeks, and that is sad no matter what the circumstances.

Reactions: 18
Hate to say it but seems to be a recurring theme this with Giovanni and maybe his mental fans need to recognise that just because he got a deaf girl to the glitterball and pulled on the nations heart strings. He’s nothing special and if he’s been treating people in this manner, he deserves everything he gets. Not the first time he’s been accused of this, doesn’t all just happen to poor Giovanni, no smoke without fire.

Reactions: 14
I think Unfortunatley for Amanda the producers mis judged and partnered her wrong. If you look at both Ellie and Annabel for example, who had both had awful years (for drastically different reasons of course) going into Strictly, they were given the perfect partner to provide them with the ultimate Strictly experience. I think Amanda would have been better with Kai or had he still been a pro, Alijaz someone who is a genuinely nice person (and them not having a rep as a lothario would have helped the situation at home too)

Reactions: 20
Hate to say it but seems to be a recurring theme this with Giovanni and maybe his mental fans need to recognise that just because he got a deaf girl to the glitterball and pulled on the nations heart strings. He’s nothing special and if he’s been treating people in this manner, he deserves everything he gets. Not the first time he’s been accused of this, doesn’t all just happen to poor Giovanni, no smoke without fire.
Looking on FB the number of ladies who say that they met him and he was lovely, or they took his dance class and he was a gentleman! yes, because you were a paying customer! It's not the same as spending 12 hours a day round him while he's got a mard on cos Vito's doing better than him, or he thinks he should have got Layton, or Felixstowe hasn't sold out yet....

Reactions: 23
Just got my phone bill through for December and wondered why it was £6 more than usual....then remembered all my wine induced voting in the final

• Haha
Reactions: 23
Ellie said Amanda was like a second mum to her in London. If you compare them, both are paired with Italian pro’s known to be perfectionists and both could be seen as being vulnerable if you consider the year Ellie had before going in.

There is no doubt that Vito is competitive, but he also wanted Ellie “to have the best Strictly journey for as long as possible”, he understood she wanted to have fun but also saw that she needed her confidence building.
Ellie could commit to 12 hour training days as she had no work or family responsibilities, but it is a lot easier to do those long days when they consist of lots of physical activity (inc. dance training) interspersed with snacks, naps and laughter.

I don’t think Amanda got anywhere near the same experience as Ellie in those first few weeks, and that is sad no matter what the circumstances.
And with the best will in the worid, Amanda has 30 or so years on Ellie. As much as you may try to kid yourself, you just don’t recover as well at 50 as 20.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Regarding breaks, even Layton outright said on ITT how strict Nikita was being during week 10 and wouldn't let him go to the loo or stop for food! He then said, "I'm sure there are rules against that..." Now he may have said it jokingly, but many a true word is spoken in jest and obviously they had great relationship , but still... you simply can't have pros getting that carried away.
There are. Ones Layton will be all too familiar with. It's odd Strictly gets away with it but then I guess when it's just the celeb and pro in a room no one is there managing their time. I'm sure they're given guidelines and should be familiar with equity rules etc but when it’s just pro and celeb they're taking it into their own hands. It's like with the pros working Sundays because they have to choreograph, really they shouldn't be but they do because it's the only real opportunity they get. In fairness to Karen she was right in saying no Sunday is my day, I'm not using it to choreograph but then that really cost her and I don't think she fully invested with the time she did put in.

They definitely need to improve their welfare policies though.

I can imagine even if Amanda had been given a new partner she'd still have had to have seen Gio on a Saturday and wouldn't be able to fully relax not knowing if the other pro would say something. Sometimes being wholly out of a situation is better, especially if there were always plans for legal proceedings.

Although Amanda and Neil could have been an interesting pairing.

Reactions: 6

Vito is also a nice guy. Him & Gio are cut from very different cloths. Only thing they have in common is the area of the world they were born in.

Reactions: 9
I rewatched the final week ITT with Ellie and Vito and Vito actually said that Matt Flint was asking in rehearsals if they should tone it down and wondered if it was too risky (he didn't specify that it was the final lift being referenced but I assume so). In that case, Matt, who is a very experienced choreographer and has worked on the show for years, should have stepped in if Vito was getting carried away and vetoed (Vito-ed?) the final lift.

I found the 'stupid cow' clip from 2021 that Rose posted and took down. Notable for Kai's 'oh tit' face when he realises Rose and AJ are there 🤣, and Gio being in an absolutely foul mood and not giving a duck who heard him. I'd imagine if something like that went down with Amanda she might find him very hard to work with.

Why does Kai look SO much better there??

Vito also let Ellie nap so he got to know how she trained best and therefore got the best out of her.

Reactions: 10
Do u think pros have a rough idea of what songs they will have for the series and have them basically mapped.out and then can add more to it for the more talented celebs. They have been doing ballroom for years so rhe choreography foe the first few weeks wouldn't be that taxing and I'm sire their dance part ers who get voted out come and assist with choreography and showing how certain lifts and sequences should.go.

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.