Steven Clark Missing ITV Documentary

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Did anyone else watch the documentary on ITV last night about missing Steven Clark from Marske, near Saltburn? He was 23 years old when he disappeared in seemingly rather odd circumstances. His mother claims he went in to the public toilets, during a walk on the beach and so did she (into the ladies' section). When she came out, she couldn't see him and walked home. Did she not think to check if he was ok, yes, he was a grown man but people tend not to just vanish without saying goodbye. He also had a disability, making him vulnerable.

There were other reported, alleged sightings of Steven after this, but the parents were arrested on suspicion of his murder.

Steven was said to have been seen with a man in January 1993, walking past a woman's house. He had a distinctive walk because of his disability. To me, that suggestion seems to go against the theory that the parents killed him, as they reported him missing several days before that.

However, the psychology of the parents seems strange to me. They don't seem to be emotionally attached to their son, in the way you'd expect. When they find that the investigation in to them is being dropped, they only seem to speak of themselves, they don't seem to show concern in finding out what happened to their son.

It's a complete mind boggler. I would feel very sorry for the parents if they are innocent. Ofcourse, I also feel sympathy for the young (at the time of disappearance) man.

What do you all make of it? I'm surprised there isn't a thread already.

Reactions: 4
This case is quite local to me but I'd never heard of it until recently as I was only 10 when he went missing.

There's something very off about the parents, the dad in particular. It wouldn't surprise me if they were involved in some way. I don't think the mother's story adds up, surely she would have asked someone to check if he was still in the toilet? And surely she would have looked for him instead of heading straight home?

Reactions: 2
Interesting case, I recall hearing a podcast about it recently. I'm not in the UK but I'd love to hear thoughts/scenarios from others.

Reactions: 1
The dad makes me feel very uneasy. I have no logic or reason for this. He just seems to me like he has a very short fuse.
I thought that too, quite controlling as well. There was a scene in the kitchen where he seemed to keep shouting his wife down and cutting her off. Also the witness that said they saw Stephen with a balding man in his 50s...he claimed not to recognise the description but I thought of him straight away. Especially as there was no proof he actually went to the Boro match.

Overall, I found the behaviour of both parents in the documentary to be rather abnormal, especially the bit where they were celebrating after hearing the investigation into them had concluded with no charges.
There's more to this story than meets the eye, for sure!

Reactions: 6
I only read about this in the news when the police announced they’d arrested the parents due to a tip...and everyone is slating the police saying it’s disgusting, how could they suspect the parents? But my first thought was the police wouldn’t do such a drastic thing unless they already had some evidence or a strong suspicion...I know they’ve now let them off the hook but I don’t know it’s all very odd. I agree something is off about them, maybe it’s that they’ve protested so much against being suspects it’s almost ‘the lady doth protest too much’? I don’t know

I only read about this in the news when the police announced they’d arrested the parents due to a tip...and everyone is slating the police saying it’s disgusting, how could they suspect the parents? But my first thought was the police wouldn’t do such a drastic thing unless they already had some evidence or a strong suspicion...I know they’ve now let them off the hook but I don’t know it’s all very odd. I agree something is off about them, maybe it’s that they’ve protested so much against being suspects it’s almost ‘the lady doth protest too much’? I don’t know
Sadly in many cases like this, the perpetrators are usually known to the victim. Given that there doesn't seem to be anyone to corroborate the mother's story that they were in the toilets in Saltburn, it's possible that they were never there.

I felt like they protested their innocence just a little too much, it was more about "poor them" than any concerns about getting justice for their son.

I agree there's something off about the parents. They're both ex police too aren't they? So they'd have a good idea how to conceal a crime.

It's an odd situation - what would the motive for killing him be? Unless maybe it was an accident, but then why cover it up? Whatever the truth none of it seems to make much sense.

Reactions: 3
I agree there's something off about the parents. They're both ex police too aren't they? So they'd have a good idea how to conceal a crime.

It's an odd situation - what would the motive for killing him be? Unless maybe it was an accident, but then why cover it up? Whatever the truth none of it seems to make much sense.
His disability became too much for them to cope with alone? And in those days I imagine help wasn’t there like it is today ☹ Or like you say an accident and they feared being arrested for neglect?

I'd read a few comments on here before I watched it so had some preconceptions but actually I don't agree with some of the suggestions so far.

They are a bit odd (the parents) but he is very pragmatic. He answers everything and gives added detail that would create suspicion, when if he'd said less there would be no suspicion. For example when asked if he had time to kill him and dispose of his body, his reply was something like ' yes, I suppose I could have if I'd done x, y, z, yes that's reasonable to conclude that'.

She is far more emotional and I'd agree he appears controlling in a way that seems to cut her off. However I wonder if this is just very ingrained coping mechanisms at play.

The thing that stood out to me was her phoning MWT to tell him about the letter. She actually sounded very distressed in that call. So my questions are why is he their first port of call? Why is she going to him with that rather that family or friends. It could be all a set up for the TV as it were but I think it showed her to be quiet naieve and without decent guidance.

I'm not sure how I feel about it all now.

I’m sure they mentioned they had a daughter aswell? Did I miss anything where they said where she was?
also at the end they said something was found in the garden search that couldn’t be explained but obviously wasn’t enough to go any further.
I keep swaying between them seeming odd, to thinking why would you want the cameras there if you had actually done it ... but then if they were killers you can’t really explain their thinking 🤷🏻‍♀️
It was an interesting watch.

I’m late to this & only stumbled across the Steven Clark case recently. I’ve now watched the ITV documentary: Accused of murdering our son: Documentary about missing Steven Clark
First aired in April 2021.

So, my first thought is - why isn’t the sister mentioned at all?
Maybe she didn’t want to be featured in the documentary, but there isn’t a word about her, where she was the day he went missing or how she misses her brother?? It said there was only a year between them I think?
The parents were both employed by the police at a point - but for a very short time (strange?) but they seemed so uneducated about police procedures?
I felt throughout the documentary they were in good humour - often laughing. They were delighted to be cleared of the murder - - ecstatic! which is fair enough - to a certain extent - but neither of them seemed heartbroken that their son was still missing assumed murdered?
I thought it was really strange for the father to mention that he told Stephen he wasn’t going to pay for this football ticket? Considering they also mentioned he couldn’t find a job due to his disability and that the father also called him something like “a tight fisted wee boy” or words to that effect. Very odd language to use? Especially in these circumstances?

I can’t get over the fact the mother simply left those toilets and went home without either entering the mens toilets or asking someone else to? They also said they could not prove the father was actually at the football match.
I really feel there is more to this. I really felt they were holding back on their relationship with their son.
I really do hope Steven ran away & made a new life for himself, but I wouldn’t be shocked if they had of killed him either. They both come across extremely cold. It sounds like Steven had a lovely relationship with his nan. Suicide could have been a possibility too?
Hopefully one day the truth will come out.

I’m late to this & only stumbled across the Steven Clark case recently. I’ve now watched the ITV documentary: Accused of murdering our son: Documentary about missing Steven Clark
First aired in April 2021.

So, my first thought is - why isn’t the sister mentioned at all?
Maybe she didn’t want to be featured in the documentary, but there isn’t a word about her, where she was the day he went missing or how she misses her brother?? It said there was only a year between them I think?
The parents were both employed by the police at a point - but for a very short time (strange?) but they seemed so uneducated about police procedures?
I felt throughout the documentary they were in good humour - often laughing. They were delighted to be cleared of the murder - - ecstatic! which is fair enough - to a certain extent - but neither of them seemed heartbroken that their son was still missing assumed murdered?
I thought it was really strange for the father to mention that he told Stephen he wasn’t going to pay for this football ticket? Considering they also mentioned he couldn’t find a job due to his disability and that the father also called him something like “a tight fisted wee boy” or words to that effect. Very odd language to use? Especially in these circumstances?

I can’t get over the fact the mother simply left those toilets and went home without either entering the mens toilets or asking someone else to? They also said they could not prove the father was actually at the football match.
I really feel there is more to this. I really felt they were holding back on their relationship with their son.
I really do hope Steven ran away & made a new life for himself, but I wouldn’t be shocked if they had of killed him either. They both come across extremely cold. It sounds like Steven had a lovely relationship with his nan. Suicide could have been a possibility too?
Hopefully one day the truth will come out.
I agree I think there is more to this.

I wondered was there tension at home when Steven was alive, perhaps he felt frustrated with his life and wanted to spread his wings but maybe his disability held him back, maybe he resented his parents.

I found it very odd that the sister was nowhere to be seen. Has she disassociated herself from her parents or is there a more innocent explanation?

I wondered if the "new letter" had been written by the sister or even another family member.

I can't remember whether there was a single independent witness who saw Steven or his mum at the beach that day?

Parents seemed so off. Was wondering if maybe Steven's parents had been exploiting him, pocketing his disability benefits or abusing him, and he was about to tell authorities?
---
I wonder did he have life insurance?

Parents seemed so off. Was wondering if maybe Steven's parents had been exploiting him, pocketing his disability benefits or abusing him, and he was about to tell authorities?
---
I wonder did he have life insurance?
After listening to the podcast i really don’t know what to think I really don’t . I I always though not checking the toilets was bizarre but after the doc I can imagine her not checking

• Wow
After listening to the podcast i really don’t know what to think I really don’t . I I always though not checking the toilets was bizarre but after the doc I can imagine her not checking
Thinking about it now, it seems so strange not to check the toilets...just to go home. No matter what age your child is, if something seems untoward, you surely wouldn't think "oh well", go home and hope for the best. I can't put my finger on it, but something does not seem right with the parents.