Split the bill or pay for your own order?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Usually split the bill as I find it easier. If particular friends in my group have had much more expensive food or drinks then they usually offer to pay a bit more though.

Why weird? I do mean literally pay for what she had to the penny though
That's all anyone ever needs to pay. If you went to Tesco with a friend, you wouldn't expect them to pay for a bit of your shopping.

Reactions: 2
That's all anyone ever needs to pay. If you went to Tesco with a friend, you wouldn't expect them to pay for a bit of your shopping.
Buying groceries at the supermarket is not the same thing though as being with a group of friends on a social occasion. Of course people can choose to pay for their own meal/drinks if they wish, it’s just something that I don’t do when out with friends. When I have a weekend away with friends we usually have a kitty that plays for all drinks and meals rather than split the bill each time.

Reactions: 4
One of my best friends is paid significantly less than the rest of us, doesn't drink much and is a very fussy eater so usually has whatever chicken is on the menu which is usually also the cheapest option - I wouldn't dream of saying to split the bill and expecting her to pay towards my wine or cocktails or fish dish, why should she? If with other friends and we've eaten similar and drank round for round then yes we would split so like a pot of you it depends on the situation. I certainly wouldn't judge someone for wanting to pay for their own or think they're tight

Reactions: 4
I think it completely depends on people’s circumstances. I’ve been in a situation where I’ve gone out for a meal, expecting to pay for what we had, ordering very little because I was pretty skint and then someone in the group saying to the waiter “ let’s just split it 8 ways” without discussing with everyone else first. There’s me sitting thinking ‘ duck, that’s way more than I can afford but too embarrassed to say anything! I think it’s tricky when your group of mates are all on different pay grades. I’ve cancelled meals out with friends simply because I can’t afford to split the bill and too mortified to tell them.

Reactions: 3
One of my best friends is paid significantly less than the rest of us, doesn't drink much and is a very fussy eater so usually has whatever chicken is on the menu which is usually also the cheapest option - I wouldn't dream of saying to split the bill and expecting her to pay towards my wine or cocktails or fish dish, why should she? If with other friends and we've eaten similar and drank round for round then yes we would split so like a pot of you it depends on the situation. I certainly wouldn't judge someone for wanting to pay for their own or think they're tight
Absolutely, I would not dream of it either.

You could argue that people desperate to split the bill are actually the tight ones as it can lead to them paying less than what they would if they paid solely for what they ordered.

Reactions: 8
I would gladly pay the whole bill just to have a night out with friends at the moment

• Heart
Reactions: 11
With with my friends in restaurants, everyone pays for what they ordered. We usually just round up though so whatever change we get can be left as a tip. For example, I know when we go to Wagamamas, my order is always €17ish. So, I bring a €20 note with me and the rest of the group do the same. We have one friend who won't do this, and will literally count out the coins (10c, 20c etc) and it kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Like if his order was €18.45... he'd count out the 45c. He refuses to leave a small tip out of principle. And before any of you give out to me and say well maybe he's broke... he's not lol, he works at an American tech firm and makes €80k a year. Leaving the wagamama waitress €1.50 isn't going to bankrupt him lol.

And then with my best friend, we have a 'it's my turn to pay' policy when get drive-thru McDonalds or go for a coffee etc. We alternate payment, easy system with no fuss.

When it comes to drinking in the pub with group of friends, it's usually "oh, this is my round" kind of deal haha.

Depends on who I’m with. My boyfriend and I generally split 50/50 unless it’s a birthday or we’re celebrating a big achievement (new job, promotion, etc) then the other person pays. Works for us.

With friends, we generally split as we tend to eat and drink equal amounts.

Exception being my boyfriends parents, I will split food but not drinks as they drink way more than I do, and I’m generally the designated driver so it seems unfair to pay for multiple bottles of wine when I’ve only had a glass of lemonade. Similarly, one of my boyfriends friends, they are stingy as duck (and I know they can definitely afford it as they are always buying new stuff they don’t necessarily need) and have taken advantage of us in the past, so I prefer now to just pay for myself. Funnily enough, when we did that, they stopped choosing the most expensive meals...

I don't drink and rarely have more than one course. I would rather everyone pays for what they had but usually it's split the bill. It spoils my meal sometimes worrying about what everyone else is ordering and how much extra I am going to have to pay. Sometimes I order a started and a dessert just to get my money's worth.

Reactions: 2
Generally, me and my friends always round up the bill to include a tip and split it between us. We’re a pretty much on a level playing field financially and tend to all have a similar amount so there’s never an issue. It helps that we all love food and drink so really enjoy going out for meals 😆 (pre-covid obv). It’s a little luxury once in a blue moon so we like to enjoy it. I have known people who only ever ordered the cheapest thing on the menu and paid their fiver (they were tight defo not skint) and I just thought why even bother going out for a meal when you clearly grudge it? Like go put that fiver towards something you actually enjoy. Different if someone is genuinely struggling financially obviously, but people with plenty of money who order tap water and argue over pennies give me the boak.

We tend to split it which was a bit difficult for me when I first started socializing with my work family (it’s a tight knit crowd) I eat a lot less than everyone else so I quickly learnt to drink more cocktails to get my money’s worth 🤣🤣

• Haha
  • Sick