Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Death2unicorns

Sometimes it not people being “tight” it’s that they don’t have much money, you know, like the way some people have more money then others?? If someone is going out for a meal and only having one course and one drink maybe they are just fucking skint and only want to pay for what they’ve had themselves, that’s not being tight.

Reactions: 28

Emoji

Chatty Member
My friends and I would normally split the bill. We would usually have the same number of courses though. If someone only had a soft drink and 1 course whilst everyone else was downing the wine and eating 3 courses, I would say to that person only to pay for their share.

Reactions: 20

Death2unicorns

We always pay for what we have ordered when my group of friends go out, one doesn’t drink, one is vegetarian, one only ever gets one course as she has a bowel condition, personally I get three courses and plenty of alcohol, I would never expect someone who doesn’t drink to contribute towards my alcohol, also I think it’s a bit presumptuous to think everyone is gonna be happy just splitting the bill some people might be trying to stick to a budget, or just outright skint even but don’t wanna say, you never know what’s going on behind closed doors for some people, unless you are all rich of course in which case it doesn’t matter but most people have budgets to manage

• Heart
Reactions: 16

Lynseyp

VIP Member
I will always pay for my own meal, purely because i will have a 2 course meal whereas my friends will have 3 courses so why should i pay more to make their meals cheaper.
I am that sad person with my phone out and a notebook working out who owes what.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 15

TommyTBFC

No chance do I split the bill. I pay for what I ordered, simple. I don’t go down to the penny though but why should I pay more to make theirs cheaper? Not happening

• Sick
  • Heart
Reactions: 13

sdmilne

Quite an odd thread this. Me and my group of friends have only ever paid for what we ordered while out for a meal. The idea, as has been presented by several here that only paying for what you ordered is "tight" seems utterly bizarre. There's absolutely nothing tight about it!

Reactions: 12

Yel

Chatty Member
I just think it's bad form to sit their and work out that you ate and drank £8.36, don't come for the meal. I'd rather just pay for the whole fucking lot than have people counting up and arguing. And then avoid going for meals with them.

I get if people are skint but there is no excuse for being tight
I don't think it's that complicated, people round up the cost of a couple of dishes and drinks add a tip and say charge £x to this card.

If you're going out for dinner with people you argue with I'd not want to meet them anyway! We all have lean times, and knowing someone can meet up and not spend much means they can come out and I'd rather that.

I just think it's bad form to sit their and work out that you ate and drank £8.36, don't come for the meal. I'd rather just pay for the whole fucking lot than have people counting up and arguing. And then avoid going for meals with them.

I get if people are skint but there is no excuse for being tight

Lyds26

If I go with friends we tend to split it, as drinks wise we always have the same. One of the friends always comes with a money bag full of loose change. Pays exactly her share, never rounds up and never tips!
That’s definitely not me! I’m usually the one rounding up the tip to cover the tight ones who won’t tip.

• Haha

onmylunchbreak

We had a situation back when I was early twenties where i was out for a meal with my girlfriends. We split the bill and one of my friends, her card declined bless her. She got really upset, crying in this restaurant because she was so embarrassed, and confessed that she was really skint and having a hard time, but she was too proud to ask to just pay for her own. I wondered why she only had a starter as a main - that must have been why. After that she hardly came out with us again and I felt so sorry for her. So sometimes it isn’t that people are tight, they are just having a hard time with money.

• Sad

Monkeybum

VIP Member
I always remember going out for a big family meal, I sat by my cousin and his girlfriend. They'd just bought their first house and were very skint. Everyone ordered and I saw them discussing the cheapest item, think they had a ploughmans lunch and a squash each.

At bill paying time, my dad just shouted 'everyone ok if we split it in couples?'. The panic on their faces bless them!! I spoke up and said i didn't think that was fair and paid our way - I explained why after.

Ever since then I've always been mindful and check everyone's ok whichever way we do it 💕

• Heart
Reactions: 11

Yel

Chatty Member
Tipping I find a bit weird in the UK. Everyone is paid minimum wage so there's no need. It's not like the states where a server is a profession and people are paid way less as people would rather have the control to tip. There you need to tip and we've unnecessarily imported the custom over here.

Most of the service in the UK is awful and they automatically add service then are annoyed when you don't pay it. If service is good I'll tip, but I've no guilt over giving nothing if it was shit.

Reactions: 10

Horatio

VIP Member
I always remember going out for a big family meal, I sat by my cousin and his girlfriend. They'd just bought their first house and were very skint. Everyone ordered and I saw them discussing the cheapest item, think they had a ploughmans lunch and a squash each.

At bill paying time, my dad just shouted 'everyone ok if we split it in couples?'. The panic on their faces bless them!! I spoke up and said i didn't think that was fair and paid our way - I explained why after.

Ever since then I've always been mindful and check everyone's ok whichever way we do it 💕
There’s a passage in the journalist Dolly Alderton’s memoir of her 20s where she remembers being at a friends birthday meal when she was extremely broke. She drank water and had a starter only but didn’t want to speak up when they decided to split it because she was so stressed about being broke anyway or something like that. Anyway she describes how one of her friends clocked her look and didn’t say anything but paid her share while she was in the loo, she says she’s never forgotten that kindness. I found that quite inspiring to read. So while I may argue for splitting the bill in general, I am aware these kind of situations arise.
there’s a definite difference between actually not having the money and just not wanting to pay any more than you think you owe.

Sp20191

VIP Member
Because they’re your friends and sharing a bill is part of sharing a nice evening and meal together?
I completely agree with the general consensus that situations do occur when one person has consumed vastly less and it’s a bit presumptuous to assume they should subsidise you. I always try and keep an eye on that if someone’s too polite to say. But generally a few quid here or there I don’t think is worth quibbling over. Eating out is an indulgence and luxury so when somebody acts like it’s an outrage they’ve paid 1.50 more than they should have it seems a bit of a warped perspective.
Again I know there are times when you're really skint but feel obliged to attend a birthday or something, and it can be hard when everyone else has a more disposable income.
But in general, if you are at a restaurant already, you can afford to split (most) bills and you can afford to tip. That’s the worst of all - I’ve actuslly heard people say that they weren’t paying service because they couldn't afford it. I was like “well then you can’t afford to eat out at all!” Rude and inconsiderate.

Agree that large birthday meals are the absolute WORST for this. The last one I went to half the table conveniently left soon after the bill came, (all people I didn’t know) and seemed to ‘forget’ to pay service. Me and a few others had to cover around £50 extra between us. It’s not even about the money as much as the selfish attitude, the total opposite of what eating out as a group should be about.
I’d rather have my friends with me for a meal and split the meal then not have them there at all, I read through this thread and wonder how many of our friends feel the same as most people on here as we NEVER split the bill, I’m not paying for someone else’s food, we can’t afford it!

In our house every penny counts, if our friends would rather us not attend their meal because we won’t split the bill then I don’t consider them to be very good friends! X

Twinkle485

Tipping I find a bit weird in the UK. Everyone is paid minimum wage so there's no need. It's not like the states where a server is a profession and people are paid way less as people would rather have the control to tip. There you need to tip and we've unnecessarily imported the custom over here.

Most of the service in the UK is awful and they automatically add service then are annoyed when you don't pay it. If service is good I'll tip, but I've no guilt over giving nothing if it was shit.
I’d rather tip nurses who are in an underpaid profession. It’s ridiculous to tip someone over here for bringing you a pizza and asking if your enjoying your meal only when your mouth is full.

onmylunchbreak

This is tricky! I have a smaller appetite and don’t really drink, so to be honest I prefer to just pay for what I’ve eaten. I hate being that person though so if the group decides to split I’d probably keep my mouth shut and pay it. So very British of me! Sometimes friends will notice I haven’t had as much and will suggest I just pay for what I’ve had - that’s always a relief!

Hinchhater1442

Chatty Member
If you have one course and drink tap water then sure pay your own. However, I personally wouldn’t mind splitting just because someone had an extra course. Baring in mind a starter is usually £6-8 (depending on where you eat) it isn’t going to break the bank splitting that extra cost.
However if you’re only having one course in order to save money- id just make that clear at the start of the meal to save the awkwardness at the end.
Each to their own but for ease i’d rather just split. I find myself generally being less generous with people who always only want to pay their share.. might sound nit picky but it can be frustrating in some situations

Reactions: 9

sdmilne

One of my best friends is paid significantly less than the rest of us, doesn't drink much and is a very fussy eater so usually has whatever chicken is on the menu which is usually also the cheapest option - I wouldn't dream of saying to split the bill and expecting her to pay towards my wine or cocktails or fish dish, why should she? If with other friends and we've eaten similar and drank round for round then yes we would split so like a pot of you it depends on the situation. I certainly wouldn't judge someone for wanting to pay for their own or think they're tight

You could argue that people desperate to split the bill are actually the tight ones as it can lead to them paying less than what they would if they paid solely for what they ordered.

Reactions: 8