“Spiking” in bars and clubs

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just wanted to start this thread to make women aware that this is happening.

Apparently women have been getting spiked by an injection into their back and left feeling like they have been drugged.
It’s been reported to have happened in a number of cities across Scotland. I don’t really know what to say, it’s just horrible.

• Wow
  • Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 16
christ this is so scary! I've never once bought any drink, not even a lemonade, at a bar when I've been clubbing cause I was scared about the barman spiking me and everyone has always said "oh thats irrational" and I'm like is it really though? it's not unheard of

Reactions: 2
My friend at Uni was spiked and ended up waking up in a random man's bed. So horrible.

This new way of spiking people is disgusting.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 10
This is very frightening!

I have been spiked at least once before, thankfully my boyfriend spotted something was up pretty much straight away and took me home.

• Sad
Reactions: 3
Happened to me in my early twenties. I have zero recollection of the night. I am so so fortunate that I had an amazing group of friends with me who clocked something was wrong and took me home straight away. They think it happened at the bar so it was either someone working there or quick slight of hand. It made me so paranoid and sad to think it happens to some many women (and sometimes men). It is often dismissed “oh she had too much” etc etc. Scary world we live in.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Happened to me in my early twenties. I have zero recollection of the night. I am so so fortunate that I had an amazing group of friends with me who clocked something was wrong and took me home straight away. They think it happened at the bar so it was either someone working there or quick slight of hand. It made me so paranoid and sad to think it happens to some many women (and sometimes men). It is often dismissed “oh she had too much” etc etc. Scary world we live in.
What always really scared me is the attitude of some emergency workers regarding really drunk women. There's no thought of spiking often, it's just that they were irresponsible and drank too much. It's almost like they assume that anyone who claims they've not had much to drink is a liar. (not saying all workers but some!)
It always really worried me as an 18 year old cause I am completely teetotal and have never drank so the only way I'd be in a bad way is if I was spiked and I'd hate to think that they would just think I was a drunk teenager who was a pain in the arse and wasting their time. Not that that should matter but when I was 18 I was really worried what people would think of me

Reactions: 7
Awful. My youngest (22) has just joined a thing called Girls Night In in which women are boycotting clubs/bars etc on October 27th. If I can find the link I'll post it here.

If our dear PM would allow misogyny to be classed as a hate crime we might all be safer - but apparently it would create too much work for the police? And why would that be?? And arent the police supposed to be there to protect us. Answers on a postcard to Mr.Johnson, 10 Downing St, London W1.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
What always really scared me is the attitude of some emergency workers regarding really drunk women. There's no thought of spiking often, it's just that they were irresponsible and drank too much. It's almost like they assume that anyone who claims they've not had much to drink is a liar. (not saying all workers but some!)
It always really worried me as an 18 year old cause I am completely teetotal and have never drank so the only way I'd be in a bad way is if I was spiked and I'd hate to think that they would just think I was a drunk teenager who was a pain in the arse and wasting their time. Not that that should matter but when I was 18 I was really worried what people would think of me
This is so true. I’ve had some awful experiences with bouncers/security - thankfully always for being plain old “too drunk” and not spiked but like you said they may present the same. On one of my first nights out at uni when I was just 18 I was physically removed from a nightclub for falling asleep in one of the seating booths - I was left alone on the street in an unknown town. Luckily a group of other students took me back to my halls. You’d think things would be better now but I doubt they are.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
This is so true. I’ve had some awful experiences with bouncers/security - thankfully always for being plain old “too drunk” and not spiked but like you said they may present the same. On one of my first nights out at uni when I was just 18 I was physically removed from a nightclub for falling asleep in one of the seating booths - I was left alone on the street in an unknown town. Luckily a group of other students took me back to my halls. You’d think things would be better now but I doubt they are.
what a terrifying experience! You'd think they'd have woke you up or rung someone! Called the police even! in my local town they have like a mini hospital that is a converted portable office thing that the st johns ambulance run and they look after drunk people which is really good and I'm glad it exists cause the bouncers or police will ring them and they'll come to the club and get you and take you to their mini hospital and keep you safe.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Agree. I had a friend we took to a&e because we didn’t know what to do (i have known her for YEARS and she was tipsy one second - normal functioning tipsy - and slurred and incoherent the next, she was NOT just drunk and would never take drugs of her own accord). A&e staff basically gave us a cardboard bucket and let her get it out of her system but viewed her as another drunk girl on a Saturday night. Really frightening and didnt care when I repeatedly told them it was not just alcohol.

this has been happening to girls for decades - much like sexual assault, we all have either had it or know someone who has. 😖

• Sad
  • Sick
Reactions: 11
This seems terrifying but I'm not sure I believe it tbh. Why would these people try a new, more difficult method of spiking? It is hard to inject a person especially, in a busy dark club. It is, as the evidence shows, really easy to spike a drink so I don't see why anyone would try to make it more difficult. I'm not saying it definitely hasn't happened nor that it couldn't happen, just that I don't believe that it is happening regularly up and down the country.

I do, however, think that people should be properly searched on entry into clubs and bars. I used to work in a bar and we used to confiscate so many dodgy looking bags of white powder and pills.

• Wow
Whilst I get the advice going around at the moment about how to look out for spiking, it really annoys me that the narrative seems to be that this is happening at clubs and by strangers. I don’t know if there’s any truth to this, but when I was spiked when I was 18, the doctor at A&E had told me (once I’d come round) that spiking is more likely to happen by someone you’re comfortable around as youre more relaxed around your drink. In my case that was true. It also happened during pre’s so no amount of covering my drink at the club would have stopped what already happened. No amount of searching would have stopped it. I’m not saying it doesn’t help, it does!!!, but if they can’t spike in the club, they’ll find somewhere else to do it. It seems like wherever we are, we can never be too careful and unfortunately, the responsible does fall to us to be careful (which I wish wasn’t the case)

• Angry
Reactions: 12
I just don’t know what the solution would be. Extra searches aren’t going to find anything - people sneak drugs into clubs all the time, if they want to hide something they will. Like the poster above said, it’s also often someone known to the victim. I think that better awareness and support for women who seem to be in a vulnerable state or intoxicated is welcomed but this doesn’t actually stop the problem in the first place. Ugh, what a word we live in :(

• Sad
Reactions: 2
Have there been any cases where the victims have gone to the hospital for blood tests etc? If it were me I’d want to know exactly what I’d been injected with and what the repercussions might be, but I couldn’t see any details on what the spikers are actually using, although I suppose the tests could take time. Hopefully more details come out soon.

I saw online reports of it happening at the uni I work at but nothing official has come round yet. I saw the nightclub boycott is happening here too which seems a good idea.

Last edited:
A certain university in the NE of England has reported increased rates of spiking recently (including by injection).

This has been made worse by the university releasing (a now deleted) tweet explaining how women can prevent themselves getting spiked. Obviously everyone is up in arms. Victim blaming from a misogynistic management team. The #girlsnightin campaign is happening there too.

It is happening, it is on the rise and it does occur via injection. Saying it doesn’t merely increases the likelihood that the victim will not be believed when she goes to report it.

Reactions: 7
What could they possibly be being spiked with though? I read on one of those articles that in order to administer enough GHB or whatever they use to actually render someone unconscious they would need to give them a substantial amount and they definitely wouldn’t be able to do this with a very quick injection that went unnoticed. Which makes me wonder does this person actually have access to medical supplies/drugs. Perhaps a lab tech or even a nurse?? Or are they just sticking needles into people and not actually spiking them. How have none of these victims had blood tests?

Reactions: 4
On a similar note, have there been any cases where the victims have reported it to the police/gone to the hospital for blood tests etc? If it were me I’d want to know exactly what I’d been injected with and what the repercussions might be, but I couldn’t see any details on what the spikers are actually using which makes me a bit suspicious, although I suppose the tests could take time. Hopefully more details come out soon.
It seems, at present that Nottingham police and police in Scotland are investigating spiking incidents and also looking into reports of those victims saying they felt like they had been scratched. I'm certainly not saying these people haven't been spiked or even injected, it could well be that it has happened and there is a lone wolf predator using this technique, I'm just saying it is very unlikely that it is happening up and down the country. Also, if I had been spiked and I saw online that people suspect they had been spiked by injection, I might well worry that it had happened to me and ask the police to look into it.

If it were me, I'd want full toxicology reports and blood tests to see if I was infected with anything too. It just seems so wildly difficult to inject someone, I mean when did they fill the needle, what have they filled it with, have they got knowledge of what needles to use with which drugs. It seems very specific to me, to want to inject someone rather than just spike their drink, like that would be part of the perversion as it is so much more difficult to do and if that is the case then it seems strange that it happening so much quite suddenly. It's more of a kink, if you get what I mean, therefore likely to be a very rare occurrence.

The spiking by injection is not happening. What we're seeing is mass hysteria. One girl claims it happened to her, it goes viral and people pick up on it. It doesn't make sense, it would be virtually impossible to drug someone in this way