Sleeping tablets

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I know this is old but... taking high dose magnesium seems to have helped me. As a life long insomniac it doesn't 'put me to sleep' like say, zopiclone, but it helps me to relax some, avoid restless legs etc.
No side effects except it can make some people get the sh1ts!

I have started taking melatonin, bought from piping rocks online and it’s really helped me, more so than sleeping tablets.

Sorry to bring back this thread so long after, I’ve been prescribed promethazine, I also have 3mg melatonin which usually works but this week my mind has been in overdrive. I have zopiclone as a last resort and want to avoid as much as possible as I have a 7 month old to look after. Does anyone know if you can have the melatonin and promethazine together? I took the promethazine last night and it stopped the racing thoughts and relaxed me but i was still awake for 2.5 hours, I then took the melatonin and was asleep within 30 mins. Just wondering if I could take them both together tonight to get back on track with my sleeping?

Sorry to bring back this thread so long after, I’ve been prescribed promethazine, I also have 3mg melatonin which usually works but this week my mind has been in overdrive. I have zopiclone as a last resort and want to avoid as much as possible as I have a 7 month old to look after. Does anyone know if you can have the melatonin and promethazine together? I took the promethazine last night and it stopped the racing thoughts and relaxed me but i was still awake for 2.5 hours, I then took the melatonin and was asleep within 30 mins. Just wondering if I could take them both together tonight to get back on track with my sleeping?
I'm not a doctor so obviously not professional advice but I don't think there are any lethal interactions there, as long as you take a normal dose. It might increase drowsiness next day though.

Promethazine gave me major restless legs when I took the maximum recommended dose of it which effectively stopped me sleeping for hours 😬

I find a magnesium supplement really good for restless legs and over all relaxing the body at night.

Reactions: 1
I'm not a doctor so obviously not professional advice but I don't think there are any lethal interactions there, as long as you take a normal dose. It might increase drowsiness next day though.

Promethazine gave me major restless legs when I took the maximum recommended dose of it which effectively stopped me sleeping for hours 😬
Thanks for the reply. I felt so bad after the promethazine I don’t plan on taking it again. Luckily sleep has got a bit better since my stressors have reduced so hopefully it stays this way. Has anyone used a naturopath before to explore their insomnia? I’m booked in next week to see one for the first time. Trying to throw everything and the kitchen sink at this 😂😭

Thanks for the reply. I felt so bad after the promethazine I don’t plan on taking it again. Luckily sleep has got a bit better since my stressors have reduced so hopefully it stays this way. Has anyone used a naturopath before to explore their insomnia? I’m booked in next week to see one for the first time. Trying to throw everything and the kitchen sink at this 😂😭
Not heard about naturopath, how does that work?

I've heard good things about sleepstation which is basically like online therapy/behaviour change intervention which is meant to identify factors contributing to insomnia and learn how to improve sleep

Not heard about naturopath, how does that work?

I've heard good things about sleepstation which is basically like online therapy/behaviour change intervention which is meant to identify factors contributing to insomnia and learn how to improve sleep
They can run blood tests to see if there’s anything underlying going on but in essence, they approach health from a ‘natural’ approach rather than medical. Some are bullshit of course but there are some reputable ones out there! I had a baby last year and think I may have hormonal insomnia/ my cycles are messing with my sleeping even though I was never like this pre pregnancy.
Ooh I like the idea of that sleep station! I’ve tried meditation and listening to things but it just made me even more aware of my awakeness 😂

Reactions: 2
They can run blood tests to see if there’s anything underlying going on but in essence, they approach health from a ‘natural’ approach rather than medical. Some are bullshit of course but there are some reputable ones out there! I had a baby last year and think I may have hormonal insomnia/ my cycles are messing with my sleeping even though I was never like this pre pregnancy.
Ooh I like the idea of that sleep station! I’ve tried meditation and listening to things but it just made me even more aware of my awakeness 😂
Interesting! Sounds like for you it could indeed be to do with pregnancy! I've had issues with sleeping all my life so don't think i can blame hormones, I'm just broken 🤣

I actually do find listening to audiobooks extremely helpful as it stops me thinking about stuff and keeping myself awake 😅

Well, I didn’t know what I should take and just went for the strongest one, which is apparently too strong according to people that I’ve spoken to. But I take 12mg, most people take 5mg or less.
Wow 12mg!
3mg is enough for me! I think anything over 5mg is usually used for people who take other medications (such as adhd medication) to help them regulate their energy throughout the day/night - well that’s the case for my cousin who has adhd and autism.

Wow 12mg!
3mg is enough for me! I think anything over 5mg is usually used for people who take other medications (such as adhd medication) to help them regulate their energy throughout the day/night - well that’s the case for my cousin who has adhd and autism.
i have adhd and pcos so want to try metformin for both

Yeah you're not meant to take melatonin long term, especially such high doses
I don’t see why you think you can’t take melatonin long term?
It’s non addictive, is naturally produced in our bodies and some people have to take it for certain health conditions / to counteract other meds they take. My friend has PCOS and was taking it alongside some other things to conceive and she was told she could take forever. I also spoke to the pharmacist when I picked it up cos I was worried about addiction! Agree on the high dose ones though

Reactions: 3
I don’t see why you think you can’t take melatonin long term?
It’s non addictive, is naturally produced in our bodies and some people have to take it for certain health conditions / to counteract other meds they take. My friend has PCOS and was taking it alongside some other things to conceive and she was told she could take forever. I also spoke to the pharmacist when I picked it up cos I was worried about addiction! Agree on the high dose ones though
Interesting, I was always told taking it long term is not good as it can impact natural melatonin production. But tbh I don't think they really know if it's safe or not so if the alternative is not sleeping, then it probably makes sense.

Reactions: 2
I know I am taking a high dose of melatonin BUT it works for me, whereas drugs like Temazepam, zopiclone, zolpidem and more don’t.
For the first time in decades, I have a decent sleep pattern rather than not sleeping for days and it really wrecking my mental health.

I know I am taking a high dose of melatonin BUT it works for me, whereas drugs like Temazepam, zopiclone, zolpidem and more don’t.
For the first time in decades, I have a decent sleep pattern rather than not sleeping for days and it really wrecking my mental health.
I totally understand, sorry if it came across judgey. I’m glad it’s working for you as no sleep is torture.

I totally understand, sorry if it came across judgey. I’m glad it’s working for you as no sleep is torture.
No you didn’t come across as judgemental. Honestly, if I had actually known what dose I should take, I wouldn’t have gone for such a high dose. But then, max doses of other drugs haven’t worked for me before either 🤦🏻‍♀️ it works wonders for me, I just had a 9hr sleep and feel amazing!