Sleeping tablets

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi, I've never taken any sleeping tablets but with the whole crisis at the moment and worrying for the future Im struggling to get a good night's sleep. It's been weeks now. Often not getting to sleep until 2, or waking up at 4 and not getting back.

I don't like taking pills but the lack of sleep maybe doing me more harm.

Does anyone take any over the counter pills? I was going to start with the herbal ones but looking at the ingredients I'm not sure if they'll do anything. Some say they work but I think it could be placebo.

For normal drug ones are they generally pretty safe and not addictive? I would like something to get over a rut to recharge and get a few nights rest rather than get dependant on them

Reactions: 1
Hi, I've never taken any sleeping tablets but with the whole crisis at the moment and worrying for the future Im struggling to get a good night's sleep. It's been weeks now. Often not getting to sleep until 2, or waking up at 4 and not getting back.

I don't like taking pills but the lack of sleep maybe doing me more harm.

Does anyone take any over the counter pills? I was going to start with the herbal ones but looking at the ingredients I'm not sure if they'll do anything. Some say they work but I think it could be placebo.

For normal drug ones are they generally pretty safe and not addictive? I would like something to get over a rut to recharge and get a few nights rest rather than get dependant on them
I've taken Nytol in the past, the normal ones in a blue box and the green herbal ones.
I dont think the herbal ones had much effect on me and the blue ones definitely knocked me out for the night, though you do feel groggy in the morning. I found taking them around 7pm meant I'd be ready to fall asleep around 10ish

Reactions: 2
Promethazine, also known as phenergan, is good. You can get sominex which is the same thing, just a lower dose. They are antihistamines but are used over benzos in hospitals when in a crisis. I struggle with chronic insomnia and try not to take benzos too often but do take these regularly when in a crisis or at risk of hitting crisis point.

Reactions: 5
I have long term chronic insomnia and can barely sleep on prescribed Zopiclone - plus they give me bad dreams if I do get some zzzzzzs and you do not feel rested anyway on them. I have just learnt to live with it, I have ‘good’ nights and (more often) bad nights.

You are best to get to the bottom of what is going on in your mind, talking therapy maybe (or just friends) and try to make yourself naturally more tired by having a walk, exercising more etc. if you’re that worried, I doubt any tablet or crap (tried it all!) will help. Limit or stop your reading and watching of the things that are on your mind ie the news, social media.

Mine is work stress, overload and burn out related, just need a new job!

it is awful and I would not wish it on my worst enemy. Apart from my boss:LOL:. Good luck!

Reactions: 5
I find melatonin works and doesn’t have the same nasty side effects of Nytol. I dunno where you’re based but even if it’s in the UK there are shops online that sell it in low doses.

I have half of a 7.5 Zopiclone every night and have done for months. I used to take a full one but was still quite groggy in the Morning. I'm not knocked out now just better able to sleep. NB they are supposedly adictive and I have to justify a repeat prescription with my GP each time.

Another vote for Promethazine/Phenergan
I didn't get on with zopiclone or zolpidem.
Nytol did nothing for me either.

Reactions: 3
Another vote for phenergan.. just wanted to add that it’s in the anti histamine family so your body won’t get addicted to it. I use it in times of crisis (as recommended by my GP) and it is amazing.

Reactions: 4
Also decide first if you have trouble with falling asleep or just with sleeping through the night. Two different problems that need different pills.

Melatonin makes me hyper :( I've tried several times now, with several doses, but apparently, it's a common side-effect that it does the complete opposite for some people. Don't want to discourage you, but didn't want to not say anything either. I had gotten it originally to help to fall asleep.

Apologies for jumping in this thread. I have suffered with my sleep for years, generally anxiety/depressive episodes related, both dropping off and staying asleep. I was prescribed Zopiclone short term then Promethazine. The Promethazine seems to be coming less effective (as in takes me hours to drop off). Spoke to doc who prescribed Zopiclone for a few days which has helped with the dropping off, but I am wide awake 4/5 hours later. Anyone experienced this? I will call my Docs again this week.
I think maybe I’m wired wrong as Tramadol gives me insomnia.
I am also on Sertraline which I take in the morning as that impacted my sleep!

Apologies for jumping in this thread. I have suffered with my sleep for years, generally anxiety/depressive episodes related, both dropping off and staying asleep. I was prescribed Zopiclone short term then Promethazine. The Promethazine seems to be coming less effective (as in takes me hours to drop off). Spoke to doc who prescribed Zopiclone for a few days which has helped with the dropping off, but I am wide awake 4/5 hours later. Anyone experienced this? I will call my Docs again this week.
I think maybe I’m wired wrong as Tramadol gives me insomnia.
I am also on Sertraline which I take in the morning as that impacted my sleep!
Could you try taking the promethazine a few hours before you intend to sleep? Or maybe ask your doctor to increase the mg of the tablet?

Could you try taking the promethazine a few hours before you intend to sleep? Or maybe ask your doctor to increase the mg of the tablet?
Yeah, I’ll try that later. I’m on 50mg Prom. I think my mind just takes over when I don’t drift off and then it becomes a bit of a battle.

I find melatonin works and doesn’t have the same nasty side effects of Nytol. I dunno where you’re based but even if it’s in the UK there are shops online that sell it in low doses.
What other side effects does Nytol have, apart from making you feel groggy in the morning? I have been taking them for a while, with varying results. I tend to take them far to late at night by the sound of it.

I had zopiclone for a while but found I developed a tolerance to them pretty quickly. Now I am on amitriptyline 50mg per night, it worked pretty well until recently but starting to notice it is less effective and don't want to up my dose if I can help it.

• Heart
What other side effects does Nytol have, apart from making you feel groggy in the morning? I have been taking them for a while, with varying results. I tend to take them far to late at night by the sound of it.
it’s not just groggy in the morning, I feel like it makes me useless for the rest of the day. Also I get a awful metallic taste in my mouth

it’s not just groggy in the morning, I feel like it makes me useless for the rest of the day. Also I get a awful metallic taste in my mouth
I know what you mean about feeling useless for the rest of the day, due to the effects of Nytol. I try not to use them every night.