Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Base2019

VIP Member
I’ve been using revolution retinol but it’s drying my skin out, and the skin around my eyes has become so sensitive, can anyone recommend a different retinol treatment? Not sure if the eye thing is linked to that like
Sounds like retinol response ... stop using it and gradually re introduce it.

Don’t put it near your eyes at all

Reactions: 3

littlepup

VIP Member
Superdrug naturally radiant range has some exfoliating pads that are cheap so worth trying out.
If you like these and they work for you you’d like the nip+fab glycolic extreme ones (they go on offer on amazon and Superdrug regularly) - they’re like the Superdrug ones on steroids - absolute game changer for me

Reactions: 3

HoGi

VIP Member
Come back and let us know. It was the woman who goes on QVC to flog it, who I seem to remember saying that, but it’s ages since I’ve watched her or used Ultrasun. So I’m interested to know if the newer formulations are still the same.
I have ultrasun face spf30

It does give any instructions about whether to apply first or last...the box might have had more instructions but I don't have it any longer

Sorry for such a bad picture the writing is tiiiiiny
20210725_122339.jpg

Reactions: 2

mindlessness

VIP Member
After stopping the pill my skin was awful, so I took to google..!

I now double cleanse morning and night. 1. Body Shop Camomile cleansing balm, 2. Neutrogena hydro boost

HA in the morning, followed by niacinamide and a vit c serum.

Glycolic acid followed by a retinol in the evening. I think this has made the most difference.

Twice a week I use lactic acid and that's it!

I've been doing this to try and sort out the hyperpigmentation and uneven skin tone. I've definitely noticed a difference!
Glad it's been making a difference!
Can I ask, do you do the glycolic + retinol five nights a week (except on the two lactic acid nights)? Not at all an expert but I would be careful to avoid over-exfoliating.

Though this blog seems to think you're okay this derm interviewed in an article advises against it and recommends alternating them. So I guess maybe just something to consider if your skin starts to feel irritated, otherwise don't change anything?
(I have in the past had a irritated skin barrier from over-exfoliation and it is no fun 😅)

Last edited:

noseybirdxo

VIP Member
Does anyone have any experience with glycolic acid? I use the Vichy ampoules, which are amazing, but so expensive. I need a cheaper alternative?
The medik8 press and glow is lovely, so is the ren ready steady glow! A lot of people like the Pixi glow tonic which I do like as a cheaper alternative but not my most favourite

hrh89

VIP Member
Does anybody have any tips/had good experiences for helping large pores?
you cant really “shrink” them but I’ve found retinol has helped massively to make them less visible than they were. I’m always going to have them it’s just my skin and genetics etc but I genuinely think it’s helped mine

Natterbox80

VIP Member
Now that the suns out ☀, what’s the best face skin cream that can be wore under makeup?
I tried so many spfs and struggled to find one that moisturised and protected and could be worn under makeup. But I use Elave spf 45 which is an Irish brand and I believe available in UK. It is great and I don't find it tacky and sticky over the layers of anti aging creams also.

But one thing I will say is, I tried the 1/2 teaspoon of spf for face, neck and ears and I just could not get that much product onto me. Now I do have a v small face but it was just was too much. I would rather get on a smaller amount and stay out of the sun and wear a hat etc.

noseybirdxo

VIP Member
New to this thread but I've been trying to get on track with my skincare the past year. Trying to find what works best etc.
My routine at the min is morning..
Micellar water
Superdrug Glycolic Acid Toner (use this morning and night, is this too much?)
Superdrug Naturally Radiant Glow Prebiotic Booster Serum
then a moisturiser with spf
Evening..the same, apart from double cleanse and night cream.

I've recently just invested in some acids from Superdrug in a little set but am hesitant to use them.

I have combination skin and suffer from hormonal acne on chin and jawline (currently have 2 painful spots on either side of my jaw 🙄)

One of the acids i got is nicainamide which I've read is good for spots? Is this safe to use with the Glycolic acid toner, or should I ditch this on the days i use nicainamide?

Edit to add..I've also just added an Nivea Q10 eye cream to my routine as I'm 35 now and the wrinkles are starting to show 😂
The superdrug niacinamide is the only one my skin has liked so far. I only ever tried a couple of bits because of the Nadine Baggot collab, there’s some good bits. The vitamin E cleanser is lovely too. I wouldn’t mix the niacinamide with glycolic acid personally - alternate them. Also you don’t need to use the glycolic everyday - 2-3 times a week, dont over-exfoliate

hrh89

VIP Member
I’ve heard niacinimide is FAB
I’d say half the people that use it swear by it and the other half absolutely detest it. Niacinamide seems to break a lot of people out including myself. Definitely try it on one area of your face for a week or so to see if your skin likes it 👍

HoGi

VIP Member
How do you treat large painful chin spots? I have a dreadful habit of squeezing and poking making things worse. My skin is sensitive too
My best treatment for spots is balance me congested skin serum. Little dab of that and it takes away any itch or redness and swelling goes down too.

Depending on how big the spot is it might take a few days to clear up. But it really helps me stop picking/squeezing

LucilleBluth

Image skincare SPF are amazing!!!! I use the matte one as it’s also doubles up as a really good make up primer too 🥰
Would you say this is a good daily facial SPF? I’ve been using Kiehl’s factor 50 but now that I never wear foundation I’ve realised it looks terrible on its own. It’s too shiny and grey. So I’m keen to find another one that’s not too sun creamy for daily use without foundation!

mindlessness

VIP Member
Thank you all so much for your quick replies! It’s just hard seeing how much it’s getting him down so I’ll get them ordered! Love the sound of these sticks…I can steal them as well! 😂 x
I hope he sees some improvement! (and that things are less stressful soon) x

• Heart

noseybirdxo

VIP Member
I use what Shineyshine uses which is the medik8 crystal retinal, if you’ve never used retinol before then I would start at 1 or 3 depending on whether you’re sensitive or not and then build up that way.

The inkey list retinol is also lovely and great for beginners
Thank you so much! What retinol did you use?

Pinkii

VIP Member
2 times a day is probably too much IMO. I would only use it 2-3 times a week as it is an exfoliating product and I wouldn’t use it the same nights as retinol. When using retinol you’re probably best keeping the routine rather simple, I go between phases of using it on its own or with niacinamide and hyaluronic acid x
Yeh did think 2 times a day is excessive but i’m sure the bottle says am and pm.

I think I will cut down from daily usage and try it at night time with the night cream and rotate it with retinol.

Thanks for all the advice everyone ☺

petitspois

VIP Member
Hi All, I've got Caroline Hiron's book but am still confused. I'm too scared to post on the FB group 😨but I wondered if any lovely Tattlers could help? I think this is the routine I should have listed below. The only products I have and am happy with are cleanser and SPF - can anyone please glance over this below to see if I've got it right and recommend any star products for normal skin please? (I'm 43, normal skin, not sensitive, not many wrinkles but my skin is definitely getting really saggy and loads worse in the last year)

Morning
Cleanse
Acid - ?
Spray Hydrate - ?
Eye cream - ?
Serum - ?
Moisturiser - ?
SPF

Evening
Cleanse x 2
Retinol (not every night) - ?
eye cream
treatment or facial oil - ?

thank you to anyone who can offer advice!!

noseybirdxo

VIP Member
The lady thought she was giving me the normal scented balm but got home and it was the rose one - it smells soo nice!

I’ve only been scrubbing 2x a week which seems to be working well ☺ Rose toner and mask are also on my list but trying to use up some Liz Earle bits first!
ah the rose one is my favourite followed by the water mint and the neroli one they did, i like the aha/glow one too! not so fussed on the original to be honest!
hahahah good, i get stressed by facial scrubs 🤣
I’ve been using IS clinical active serum it is by far one of the best skin care purchases I’ve ever made.
off to google what this is 😂

Doll-Parts

Chatty Member
Can anyone recommend a good gradual fake tan for very pale skin?
I haven't tried the gradual version, but I'd definitely recommend Amanda Harrington London in 'Natural Rose'. I'm pale with cool undertones and it's really natural, I haven't bothered with tan for years because it always looked orange on me. Fairly easy to apply and didn't look patchy when washing off. I bought the body mousse on offer from lookfantastic and the face spray (with a little brush) from amazon

• Heart

nbt

VIP Member
That is a lot to be putting on your face if you’ve started from nothing, and you’re starting using a UFO as well. (I just got a UFO too, I love it!)

Maybe scale it back a bit and build up gradually, especially if you’ve had some breakouts and you don’t usually get them.

Depending on your skin type, I don’t think you necessarily need an oil as well as a moisturiser. Definitely not am and pm. Also, what type of serum are you using? Again, is it am and pm? Even the toner could be too harsh if it’s an exfoliating one as opposed to a gentle one, or it may contain alcohol which can also be harsh.

Without seeing the exact products it’s hard to say, but perhaps scale it back to cleanse, tone, moisturise, spf. for a few weeks and see how your skin likes it. Then cut out or add a product from there and then you can identify what your skin needs, responds to, and likes.

Just a suggestion. Hope you manage to find a routine that works for you 😊
What hot cloth cleanser are you using? I would cut out the toner and face oil until your skin settles a bit. Toners can be very harsh and stripping on the skin, especially if your not used to using one. The face oil and moisturiser may be too heavy and rich on your skin together so I would skip one of those for now aswell. Great you are using spf!
Thank you both.

I’m using the Lacura hot cloth cleanser and the This Works hyaluronic serum.

I’ll probably cut back on the face oil to begin with then and see what happens. I’ve been using the moisturiser for a while and that’s been fine. Nothing feels too heavy or caked on. I wondered if my skin was purging? I’ve read a bit about it and it does seem to match what I’ve read.

It’s so confusing!

mindlessness

VIP Member
No, never heard of it . Can you recommend
I haven't tried it myself but have heard good things about it! Inkey List and The Ordinary both do one I think, so an okay price point. https://www.byrdie.com/azelaic-acid-4705426 It seems like it can be quite good with rosacea as well as breakouts!

Not really a product but I have recently started dry body brushing, mainly for cellulite reasons, hasn’t helped with that but it has made my skin so soft and glowy! Definitely worth adding it to your daily routines I think.
Yes! Second this. I find it wakes me up super well. Helpful for morning showers on cold winter days when I don't want to be awake 😅