Single parents

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve not seen a thread for single parents so thought I would start one.
I don’t really have anyone in real life I can vent to so I’m going to dump all my feelings here.
I’m a single mum to 4 children, totally alone, no fathers involvement and no partner. It’s bleeping hard. Made harder by the fact I suffer with my mental health and it has impacted on my parenting, I’m probably the cause of their own poor mental health. I’m so resentful towards my exes, bleeping off and leaving me to deal with EVERYTHING! I can’t cope most of the time, I’m a tit parent, I’ve become a lazy parent and I’ve spent so much time feeling like I’ve failed my children. They hate each other and it breaks my heart, but it’s probably my fault, how I’ve raised them. I want to change. I want to be a good, fun and loving mum.
My anxiety had got worse, I worry all the time that something is going to happen to them, whenever I hear them cry I feel like I can’t breath and won’t cope if they really hurt themselves. It was so bad at one point that I stopped them all playing on the trampoline, that’s how ridiculous I am.
I’m sick of the arguments, fighting, doing all the housework alone. I constantly nag as they don’t listen and I lose my temper. I’m trying to let some things go, ignore it etc but my god some times it’s hard.
I thought now my eldest 2 are 20 and 18 it would be easier but it’s not, and my younger 2 copy what the older ones say.
Just now my daughter has come down and mocked me for watching the queen’s funeral, saying she never did anything for me/us. I just told her to go back upstairs.
God I’m just ranting, I feel drained. I know I chose to have my children, they didn’t ask to be born, it’s my duty etc but I don’t think I’m made to be a mother. I’m tit at it. Maybe it’s depression talking, I don’t know. I love my children but there are days when I feel like they would be better off without me because I’m doing such a terrible job. At the same time I couldn’t live without my children.

Apologies for the long nonsensical moan, hopefully this thread can be a place to just vent like this, offer advice etc without judgement.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I am a solo mummy too. My son is only 16 months old though.

firstly, you are not a bad parent. Not at all. It’s bleeping hard hard graft being on your own. Doing everything. Even down to things like taking the bins out, washing the pots, and as for looking after yourself and any type of self maintenance, it’s impossible!! We’re not octopuses and we’re only humans.

I don’t have any advice to offer regarding your older kids as I’ve only got a baby, but please take it from me that you’re doing so well even by just getting through the day.

and the way I see this is I would rather be on my own doing it all, than having a useless man around the house just sitting there.

firstly, you are not a bad parent. Not at all. It’s bleeping hard hard graft being on your own. Doing everything. Even down to things like taking the bins out, washing the pots, and as for looking after yourself and any type of self maintenance, it’s impossible!! We’re not octopuses and we’re only humans.

I don’t have any advice to offer regarding your older kids as I’ve only got a baby, but please take it from me that you’re doing so well even by just getting through the day.

and the way I see this is I would rather be on my own doing it all, than having a useless man around the house just sitting there.
Thank you. I had a bit of a crappy weekend and when that happens everything just feels 10 times worse in that moment.

You are right, I know I’d be even more miserable if he was here as he was useless, I guess it’s just all on me if anything goes wrong, they turn out to be little terrors etc. like it’s just my failing because I’m the one that’s brought them up.

Do you get any time to yourself? I know at that age they require a lot of attention, at least mine did!
Thank you again for replying.

agree so much about the Doing Everything! The load is crushing isn’t it! My little girl is 3.5 and she’s bloody amazing, but I feel so sad and lonely at the moment and don’t feel like I can help myself and do something about it. Really pleased to find this thread :)

I have been a single mum to my teenager since she was born so I don’t know any different. Our bond is amazing and she’s so fun to be around. We enjoy spending time together, pampering ourselves, shopping, meals out or a cosy weekend takeaway.. She’s really like a mini version of me and a best friend.
Her father has never been involved (his choice) but I have had partners and dated.

The hard days do get easier.

@PumpkinKing I think you need to take some control back. The older ones should know better and everyone should be helping out around the house.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Just found this thread. Single mam also to a 5 Yr old.
I always read about how lonely it is being a single parent and I never understood it but it's suddenly hit me the last couple of months.

Anyway you aren't alone. The older ones should be helping you out with the little ones now that they're older?

Reactions: 1
I have been a single mum to my teenager since she was born so I don’t know any different. Our bond is amazing and she’s so fun to be around. We enjoy spending time together, pampering ourselves, shopping, meals out or a cosy weekend takeaway.. She’s really like a mini version of me and a best friend.
Her father has never been involved (his choice) but I have had partners and dated.

The hard days do get easier.

@PumpkinKing I think you need to take some control back. The older ones should know better and everyone should be helping out around the house.
That is really lovely to hear about your strong bond and relationship :) I hope I can grow that with my daughter. There are a lot of bonuses to being a single parent!

I’m mum to 3 children under 5 and whilst it’s so so so hard it’s this ⬆ that I tell myself daily. Their dad is barely involved and whilst I have massive issues with resentment, I take comfort in the fact that my children will know who it was that did everything for them and who was always there for them, and who it was that couldn’t be bothered.

Just found this thread.
single Mummy of a 3 year old. It’s been just us since I was 10 weeks pregnant ♥
curious - has your child’s father gone on to have other kids?
my child has, and he’s saying he doesn’t want to see our son for a while as he needs to settle in with the new baby? Am I wrong for thinking this is vile? I get the first night,and could understand if our child didnt Sleep through the night but he does and is soo good he wouldnt be any bother.

Just found this thread.
single Mummy of a 3 year old. It’s been just us since I was 10 weeks pregnant ♥
curious - has your child’s father gone on to have other kids?
my child has, and he’s saying he doesn’t want to see our son for a while as he needs to settle in with the new baby? Am I wrong for thinking this is vile? I get the first night,and could understand if our child didnt Sleep through the night but he does and is soo good he wouldnt be any bother.
Not exactly the same but I have a 3 year old too, her dad has an older child and I have an older child.
Dad won't let her stay the night because he doesn't 'think' his other child would like it. So she's not allowed to stay over point blank. I said so if my older child didn't want her to stay here then would it he acceptable for me to not have her either? No it bloody wouldn't.
I HATE HATE HATE the double standards and pathetic excuses men use. Either man up and be a parent or wrap it up and don't reproduce.
I hope you're ok, I know how frustrating it is, especially when it's your child being pushed out x

Not exactly the same but I have a 3 year old too, her dad has an older child and I have an older child.
Dad won't let her stay the night because he doesn't 'think' his other child would like it. So she's not allowed to stay over point blank. I said so if my older child didn't want her to stay here then would it he acceptable for me to not have her either? No it bloody wouldn't.
I HATE HATE HATE the double standards and pathetic excuses men use. Either man up and be a parent or wrap it up and don't reproduce.
I hope you're ok, I know how frustrating it is, especially when it's your child being pushed out x
It’s just so frustrating, I had family and friends travelling to see us today, go out for a meal then drinks after wards and I can’t now 😭
There was no “when the baby is born we need to settle in, can’t see our son for a few days”
Just “baby’s born, can’t see him need to settle in. See him next week”

ETA - him and his new baby mom don’t even live together and aren’t together so that makes it more frustrating knowing he is home by himself and could have our son

Not a single mother myself but I have friends who are, and my sister in law is one. I take my hat off to you as I've seen how hard it is being 2 parents in 1, and how lonely it can be. I've also seen how amazing a single parent can be at bringing up their kids well.

I’m a single mum to my nearly 11 month old little girl. None of my close friends have kids and it is quite lonely. I feel like I just can’t find myself anymore. I don’t know who I am. When do things make more sense 😂😂😂

hats Off to all you amazing mums! ❤

hats off to you too 😊
you’re so right it is lonely. it’s everything! Your little one is still so tiny, it will make sense, apart from when it doesn’t, but that’s how it goes! What’s your single situation like?

I’m a single mum to my nearly 11 month old little girl. None of my close friends have kids and it is quite lonely. I feel like I just can’t find myself anymore. I don’t know who I am. When do things make more sense 😂😂😂

hats Off to all you amazing mums! ❤

• Heart
hats off to you too 😊
you’re so right it is lonely. it’s everything! Your little one is still so tiny, it will make sense, apart from when it doesn’t, but that’s how it goes! What’s your single situation like?
Single situation is a bit of a disaster.. things were rough with her dad when I found out I was pregnant. he just wanted to spend his time out of work doing drugs and drinking.. baby was born 8 weeks early and we split up maybe 2 days after she was born.. it’s just gotten worse since then. Currently going through the courts atm over access.. what about you? If you don’t want to share, completely understandable!

Single situation is a bit of a disaster.. things were rough with her dad when I found out I was pregnant. he just wanted to spend his time out of work doing drugs and drinking.. baby was born 8 weeks early and we split up maybe 2 days after she was born.. it’s just gotten worse since then. Currently going through the courts atm over access.. what about you? If you don’t want to share, completely understandable!
that sounds super rough and hard! All of that going on on top of just being a mum! In glad you could get out of what sounds like a really hard relationship. I hope you’re getting some help elsewhere 😊 nice to have a reply on here!

my little girl is 4 and is my absolute hero. I split with her dadwhen she was about 1 during Covid, yay, so ittook me a while to move out but it’s the best thing I did! He was just very narcissistic and selfish and his work always came first, and he basically just wasn’t very nice to me.
now, id love to meet someone new or just date and have some fun but how do you do that as a single mum?!

• Heart
that sounds super rough and hard! All of that going on on top of just being a mum! In glad you could get out of what sounds like a really hard relationship. I hope you’re getting some help elsewhere 😊 nice to have a reply on here!

my little girl is 4 and is my absolute hero. I split with her dadwhen she was about 1 during Covid, yay, so ittook me a while to move out but it’s the best thing I did! He was just very narcissistic and selfish and his work always came first, and he basically just wasn’t very nice to me.
now, id love to meet someone new or just date and have some fun but how do you do that as a single mum?!
Your story is similar to mine! Split from my 5yo's dad just as covid was starting, she was almost 2. He was narcissistic and a gaslighter. Leaving was the best thing I ever did!

• Heart
well done for getting away from a relationship that wasn’t good 👏 it’s so hard especially when children are in the mix, you feel it all… guilt, fear, happiness, more guilt, sadness! And then the logistics kick in!

• Heart
Just want to echo what another poster said, so proud of you for taking that step to leave! It always seems so much harder to leave when there are children involved.. have you tried putting yourself out there? @Roobalooba89

Tinder is how I do it 😅

• Haha