Shops or places you feel nostalgic for

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I remember going with my mother as a young child into the Off licence, a branch of odd bins to be exact. It was cool and dark inside, and smell vaguely of wine. I don't know what my mother was doing in there, she's never been a big drinker. But I also remember it used to be the ONLY place you could buy kettle chips, they were in a big basket next to the fancy wine. Isn't that mad? Now there are so few off licences left, and none around here.

I also miss Blockbuster video. I remember walking around the block to my local one as a teenager to rent DVDs or games. I also remember as a child going there to pick out videos. The desperate excitement when you went to the counter to check whether the film you had selected was in stock! I also recall sneaking around to the 18+ shelves and being freaked out by the front cover of Hellraiser. It also used to be the only place you could buy toffee popcorn and malteasers in a box. Did Blockbuster have some sort of deal going on with butterkist?

Now of course you can buy all the booze, kettle chips and toffee popcorn that you want from the supermarket, but I don't know, it's less special?

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Tammy! I think it was called that. I thought I was so cool wearing stuff from there.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Tammy! I think it was called that. I thought I was so cool wearing stuff from there.
Yes Tammy girl was the tit but I was too tall and fat as a child to wear anything from there. 🤣 Mark One was also the coolest. I remember seeing their clothes in Mizz magazine.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 13
Our towns local video shop, I remember thinking going every Friday night to pick a movie was SUCH A TREAT. i can still remember the smell of it too, like popcorn. Also miss Woolworths for a pick and mix, and BHS because my grandma would spend hours looking round there when she’d take me to town with her 💗

Reactions: 1
I remember going with my mother as a young child into the Off licence, a branch of odd bins to be exact. It was cool and dark inside, and smell vaguely of wine. I don't know what my mother was doing in there, she's never been a big drinker. But I also remember it used to be the ONLY place you could buy kettle chips, they were in a big basket next to the fancy wine. Isn't that mad? Now there are so few off licences left, and none around here.

I also miss Blockbuster video. I remember walking around the block to my local one as a teenager to rent DVDs or games. I also remember as a child going there to pick out videos. The desperate excitement when you went to the counter to check whether the film you had selected was in stock! I also recall sneaking around to the 18+ shelves and being freaked out by the front cover of Hellraiser. It also used to be the only place you could buy toffee popcorn and malteasers in a box. Did Blockbuster have some sort of deal going on with butterkist?

Now of course you can buy all the booze, kettle chips and toffee popcorn that you want from the supermarket, but I don't know, it's less special?

I always used to see the hellraiser video in my local store and think oh god that looks awful and always remembered his face. I'm an adult and have now read the synopsis and glad all I ever saw was the video box. But its certainly one of the most striking covers for a film.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Tammy Girl was GOALS but whenever I dragged my mum in she would go round sniffing ‘I could make you that!’
wouldn’t have the label in it though would it mother?! Not. The. Same.

• Haha
Reactions: 17
Tammy Girl was GOALS but whenever I dragged my mum in she would go round sniffing ‘I could make you that!’
wouldn’t have the label in it though would it mother?! Not. The. Same.
I had so many things from Tammy, they were tucked in a corner of a nearby Debenhams. I must have looked god awful though.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I'm 65 so there are a few places/shops I think about from time to time. One is the Anderson bomb shelter in my gran's garden which became my 'den'. She'd make me sanwiches and a bottle of (home made) lemonade and an apple and off I'd go with my little transistor radio...happy days :)

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Definitely agree with Tammy Girl and Woolworths! The one I have such vivid memories of is Blockbuster. Every Friday spending a good hour walking around the aisles trying to pick just one film, the smell of the plastic tape cases and the popcorn all mixed together. Then posting the tape back through the little letterbox outside the shop. What a different time 😂

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 10
Woolworths, BHS, Etam, Tammy girl, Jane Norman, toys r us, blockbuster, the village shop where you'd get pick n mix and each sweet was either 1 or 2p.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I can smell blockbusters if I think about it. I loved going there with my family on a Friday to pick a film to watch 😂
Woolworths with the mini cans of pop pick n mix.

Reactions: 4
Woolworths- no other pick n mix has ever come close.

Body Shop when they had the glass bottles with the glass sticks to test perfumes (especially Dewberry)

I also miss bath pearls, I’m sure they were unenvironmentally friendly but I loved popping them in a bath!

ETA- and there was a stall in our indoor market that had rows and rows of every colour of Stargazer nail varnish, before all the main brands did mad colours, it was heaven picking out just the right shade of turquoise or pastel yellow that I wanted.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I always used to see the hellraiser video in my local store and think oh god that looks awful and always remembered his face. I'm an adult and have now read the synopsis and glad all I ever saw was the video box. But its certainly one of the most striking covers for a film.
That’s so funny because whenever I think of Blockbuster that is the one movie cover that comes to mind!!! Every time.

• Haha
Omg yes!! That is so bizarre that I remember that too (I’m 35, btw)