Sex in marriage

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hello all

Quick Overview; been married 14 years, two children, generally happy

However, sex between us is stale and frankly boring šŸ˜•
I have brought it up numerous times, suggested different things to try, bought toys, outfits, booked hotel nights away ā€¦ and still, nothing!

Iā€™m now at the stage I canā€™t even bring myself to do it as he has completely ignored everything Iā€™ve said and all the things bought are lying in the wardrobe unused.

My confidence is at an all time low, as Iā€™m now in the thinking itā€™s just me he canā€™t be bothered making the effort for.

Help!! I still want to have sex and have a high sex drive, but I just canā€™t find a way to get out this rut Iā€™ve worked myself in to.

• Sad
Reactions: 5
Say if you were still in this situation in a years time, would you consider ending the relationship?

If so, then I would put this to him. Tell him youā€™re at the end of your tether and that this could end your relationship.
IMO it could go one of three ways; it gives him the kick he needs to put more effort into the relationship, he is honest about something that could be affecting his own sex drive, or he may admit the relationship isnā€™t working for him anymore.
I really hope things work out for you.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Hello all

I have brought it up numerous times, suggested different things to try, bought toys, outfits, booked hotel nights away ā€¦ and still, nothing!

Iā€™m now at the stage I canā€™t even bring myself to do it as he has completely ignored everything Iā€™ve said and all the things bought are lying in the wardrobe unused.

My confidence is at an all time low, as Iā€™m now in the thinking itā€™s just me he canā€™t be bothered making the effort for.

Help!! I still want to have sex and have a high sex drive, but I just canā€™t find a way to get out this rut Iā€™ve worked myself in to.
When you say itā€™s stale, what do you mean? Is he just unwilling to try anything different? Does he seem interested in sex at all? Is there any other intimacy between you? What does he say about it when you bring it up? How long have you felt like this has been an issue?

I think you need to have a full, frank, open conversation with him. This obviously goes deeper than him just not being in the mood on a few occasions. But you need to be prepared for the fact that he may tell you thinks you donā€™t want to hear - but if thatā€™s the case, at least you will know whatā€™s going on.

good luck

Reactions: 2
Sex drives can dip and peak, could this be the case for him? It definitely needs an open and honest conversation. When I went through a dip, it was all down to me feeling overwhelmed with life and little niggles in the relationship and not feeling desired/not desiring him. He needs to get talking!

when you use toys / outfits / different locations? does he enjoy too? or not really - could u ask him what he is into at the moment too?

Hello all

So sorry to hear that @about.a.girl but if it's any consolation your not the only one.
I am going through very similar issues (for a variety of reasons) and I sympathise it sucks!
Particularly if previously you've had a pretty good sex life (or thought you did)?
For me it was the birth of my daughter that triggered all this (post natal depression husband being controlling and giving all his attention to his daughter etc).
So I felt left out and he wasn't interested in me as a woman just as a stand by mummy! Cheers mate.
Do you think there is anything you can pinpoint in your case? For example Lockdown was tough on a lot of couples did he slowly loose interest or withdraw his affections quite suddenly?
Has he spoken to you about it?
That would be a start at least?
Mine just went on the defensive and was in denial it's not you . I am tired we don't have time/personal space etc etc.
All true to a certain extent but it's about priorities isn't it? Put it this way he can find the time to watch the football if it's on no problems!
So I completely understand that when you've expressed interest or made the move and he hasn't shown reciprocal interest it is upsetting.
Yes I agree you can easily loose confidence or feel rejected and yes it's awful.
I am the same in that respect but then again I know in my case we have relationship problems but then this (lack of intamacy) doesn't help!
Do you think it's possible that he's quite happy for things to stay at stable and boring and is maybe shutting himself off because he sees it as some sort of criticism?
Men can be very touchy about their egos?
Also can be easily threatened by change (even interesting ones)?
Mine was the same when I tried to liven things up in the bedroom basically although he would hate to admit it he's a bit prissy and judgemental and doesn't like his wife to be overtly sexual! (So lucky me)!
I feel you though nothing wrong with being a bit adventurous or wanting to be sexuality confident and it's a kick in the teeth if that's shut down or not appreciated.
One thing I'm wondering though does he compliment you or ever make any romantic gestures himself?
For example taking you out to lunch or buying a bottle of wine or taking an interest in you as a person?
If he does you can build on this ... if he doesn't then he really needs to start showing some interest in you as a person and as a woman?
Sadly for me it's a case of familiarity breeds contempt and I find myself in a no win situation in that the more frustrated I get the more he backs away!
Is it possible do you think to just give yourself a break and concentrate on you?
Do things for example that make you feel good and in touch with your body exercise or meditate eating well going out with friends buying yourself something nice basically indulging yourself and doing what you can to reaffirm yourself as a sexual desirable beautiful woman?
Sometimes what can we do except tend to ourselves?
That's what I am going to do after going through a long dry spell!
Maybe just use the bed for sleeping for the moment that's also nourishing and just take the pressure off yourself ...sleep on it but maybe gradually re introduce touch but as a pleasure involving massage? I don't know anyone who doesn't like a massage? Do it maybe for each other but without any expectation of it leading anywhere?
Just to stay in the moment and enjoy the sensual?
It's worth a try isn't it? (Definitely going to try that myself)
I think if the relationship is generally happy in other regards it could just be a rough patch you are going through? Or it could be a bit of a case of not very well matched libidos (again same!)
In which case unfortunately you might have to be the patient one the one that tries to find a happy medium?
I get it though its frustrating too much is expected of woman and frankly it would be nice if men showed a bit more passion and desire towards their wives in general!
It shouldn't just be a case of ok I have you I can now rest on my laurels and not make any effort!
Unfair!
If he made an effort before he should up his game a bit and try to make you feel special or valued if he values his marriage then that should be a priority!
I hope that he wakes up from his slumber and starts to appreciate you or at the very least try and meet you half way!
Explain that it's important to you you have needs as well?
Or is it possible that he has anything disturbing him for example stress at work or depression?
Either way though even if that is the case he needs to let you know! So I hope that he's up for having that conversation at least.
Good luck with it all and I really hope you can work things out. ā¤

Reactions: 3
Sadly I have experienced the worst outcome of this. My husband and I had 2 babies close together. Sex became non-existent. He kept wanting to sleep in the spare room. He was talking to other women and having some kind of affair with his boss. Then he just upped and left the kids and me. Towards the end of our relationship, sex had zero feeling or spark and I just knew something was wrong. Honestly this is the worst thing I have ever experienced, and I tried my best to keep the spark alive. Now I feel like I am living in perpetual grief.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
So sorry to hear that @about.a.girl but if it's any consolation your not the only one.
I am going through very similar issues (for a variety of reasons) and I sympathise it sucks!
Particularly if previously you've had a pretty good sex life (or thought you did)?
For me it was the birth of my daughter that triggered all this (post natal depression husband being controlling and giving all his attention to his daughter etc).
So I felt left out and he wasn't interested in me as a woman just as a stand by mummy! Cheers mate.
Do you think there is anything you can pinpoint in your case? For example Lockdown was tough on a lot of couples did he slowly loose interest or withdraw his affections quite suddenly?
Has he spoken to you about it?
That would be a start at least?
Mine just went on the defensive and was in denial it's not you . I am tired we don't have time/personal space etc etc.
All true to a certain extent but it's about priorities isn't it? Put it this way he can find the time to watch the football if it's on no problems!
So I completely understand that when you've expressed interest or made the move and he hasn't shown reciprocal interest it is upsetting.
Yes I agree you can easily loose confidence or feel rejected and yes it's awful.
I am the same in that respect but then again I know in my case we have relationship problems but then this (lack of intamacy) doesn't help!
Do you think it's possible that he's quite happy for things to stay at stable and boring and is maybe shutting himself off because he sees it as some sort of criticism?
Men can be very touchy about their egos?
Also can be easily threatened by change (even interesting ones)?
Mine was the same when I tried to liven things up in the bedroom basically although he would hate to admit it he's a bit prissy and judgemental and doesn't like his wife to be overtly sexual! (So lucky me)!
I feel you though nothing wrong with being a bit adventurous or wanting to be sexuality confident and it's a kick in the teeth if that's shut down or not appreciated.
One thing I'm wondering though does he compliment you or ever make any romantic gestures himself?
For example taking you out to lunch or buying a bottle of wine or taking an interest in you as a person?
If he does you can build on this ... if he doesn't then he really needs to start showing some interest in you as a person and as a woman?
Sadly for me it's a case of familiarity breeds contempt and I find myself in a no win situation in that the more frustrated I get the more he backs away!
Is it possible do you think to just give yourself a break and concentrate on you?
Do things for example that make you feel good and in touch with your body exercise or meditate eating well going out with friends buying yourself something nice basically indulging yourself and doing what you can to reaffirm yourself as a sexual desirable beautiful woman?
Sometimes what can we do except tend to ourselves?
That's what I am going to do after going through a long dry spell!
Maybe just use the bed for sleeping for the moment that's also nourishing and just take the pressure off yourself ...sleep on it but maybe gradually re introduce touch but as a pleasure involving massage? I don't know anyone who doesn't like a massage? Do it maybe for each other but without any expectation of it leading anywhere?
Just to stay in the moment and enjoy the sensual?
It's worth a try isn't it? (Definitely going to try that myself)
I think if the relationship is generally happy in other regards it could just be a rough patch you are going through? Or it could be a bit of a case of not very well matched libidos (again same!)
In which case unfortunately you might have to be the patient one the one that tries to find a happy medium?
I get it though its frustrating too much is expected of woman and frankly it would be nice if men showed a bit more passion and desire towards their wives in general!
It shouldn't just be a case of ok I have you I can now rest on my laurels and not make any effort!
Unfair!
If he made an effort before he should up his game a bit and try to make you feel special or valued if he values his marriage then that should be a priority!
I hope that he wakes up from his slumber and starts to appreciate you or at the very least try and meet you half way!
Explain that it's important to you you have needs as well?
Or is it possible that he has anything disturbing him for example stress at work or depression?
Either way though even if that is the case he needs to let you know! So I hope that he's up for having that conversation at least.
Good luck with it all and I really hope you can work things out. ā¤
Thank you so much for your response.

I knew I wouldnā€™t be the only one - itā€™s just when I speak to my friends they say ā€œgod youā€™re lucky!ā€ And allI think of is ā€œno, I need a good seeing toā€ šŸ¤£

Iā€™ve been breaking down our relationship to
Try and figure out whatā€™s going wrong and Iā€™ve noticed he can be like you said, defensive and almost nasty when I bring it up - and thatā€™s got my back up so I have to admit, I have started saying things I shouldnā€™t to try get a reaction ; itā€™s like a no win situation for either of us.

I hope you manage to work something out and always here to chat if you need xx

Sadly I have experienced the worst outcome of this. My husband and I had 2 babies close together. Sex became non-existent. He kept wanting to sleep in the spare room. He was talking to other women and having some kind of affair with his boss. Then he just upped and left the kids and me. Towards the end of our relationship, sex had zero feeling or spark and I just knew something was wrong. Honestly this is the worst thing I have ever experienced, and I tried my best to keep the spark alive. Now I feel like I am living in perpetual grief.
Oh my goodness. Firstly, are you and the kids okay? What a shock that must have been.

Sadly, he cheated on me many years ago and we have got over it ; I was his first and i think he felt he had missed out on living a ā€œboysā€ life.

I donā€™t think he is cheating on me as I do check up on his phone etc but thatā€™s not to
Say he hasnā€™t again.

I am so sorry to hear your story and if you need to message, im always here xx

When you say itā€™s stale, what do you mean? Is he just unwilling to try anything different? Does he seem interested in sex at all? Is there any other intimacy between you? What does he say about it when you bring it up? How long have you felt like this has been an issue?

I think you need to have a full, frank, open conversation with him. This obviously goes deeper than him just not being in the mood on a few occasions. But you need to be prepared for the fact that he may tell you thinks you donā€™t want to hear - but if thatā€™s the case, at least you will know whatā€™s going on.

good luck
Thank you, Iā€™ve tried to get him to open up but heā€™s very defensive about it and we go round in circles šŸ™„
X

Last edited:
  • Heart
Thank you so much for your response.

I knew I wouldnā€™t be the only one - itā€™s just when I speak to my friends they say ā€œgod youā€™re lucky!ā€ And allI think of is ā€œno, I need a good seeing toā€ šŸ¤£

Iā€™ve been breaking down our relationship to
Try and figure out whatā€™s going wrong and Iā€™ve noticed he can be like you said, defensive and almost nasty when I bring it up - and thatā€™s got my back up so I have to admit, I have started saying things I shouldnā€™t to try get a reaction ; itā€™s like a no win situation for either of us.

I hope you manage to work something out and always here to chat if you need xx

Oh my goodness. Firstly, are you and the kids okay? What a shock that must have been.

Sadly, he cheated on me many years ago and we have got over it ; I was his first and i think he felt he had missed out on living a ā€œboysā€ life.

I donā€™t think he is cheating on me as I do check up on his phone etc but thatā€™s not to
Say he hasnā€™t again.

I am so sorry to hear your story and if you need to message, im always here xx

Thank you, Iā€™ve tried to get him to open up but heā€™s very defensive about it and we go round in circles šŸ™„
X
Sorry, not sure if I am replying to the right bit, but thank you.
It is still all very recent, so incredibly raw. I have never felt sadness like it. He definitely wasnā€™t that nice of a person the last year and a half. He changed completely. He was once such a lovely guy and would have done anything for me. But he changed so much, I donā€™t know if it was his job or what, he hung around with a lot of workmates who were having affairs / leaving their partners etc. I did worry that he would get attracted to it. Him cheating was honestly something we never got over. He said he was sorry and would never do such a thing again, but then I would keep finding him talking to women. It honestly nearly put me in an early grave. I am not coping very well at the minute, basically my baby daughters are the reason I get out of bed in the morning.
Itā€™s an awful situation because I loved him, the old him, so much. Now I feel like I have just been thrown into a completely different life against my will. Iā€™m on a path I know nothing about. I am alone and he is not here. It honestly feels like a death. I am going to try and see if time helps me heal a bit. But the fact that intimacy for me is now completely gone does make me sad, because I still wanted it with my husband. I wanted him to want me, but he was done. šŸ˜ž

• Sad
Reactions: 1
Sorry, not sure if I am replying to the right bit, but thank you.
It is still all very recent, so incredibly raw. I have never felt sadness like it. He definitely wasnā€™t that nice of a person the last year and a half. He changed completely. He was once such a lovely guy and would have done anything for me. But he changed so much, I donā€™t know if it was his job or what, he hung around with a lot of workmates who were having affairs / leaving their partners etc. I did worry that he would get attracted to it. Him cheating was honestly something we never got over. He said he was sorry and would never do such a thing again, but then I would keep finding him talking to women. It honestly nearly put me in an early grave. I am not coping very well at the minute, basically my baby daughters are the reason I get out of bed in the morning.
Itā€™s an awful situation because I loved him, the old him, so much. Now I feel like I have just been thrown into a completely different life against my will. Iā€™m on a path I know nothing about. I am alone and he is not here. It honestly feels like a death. I am going to try and see if time helps me heal a bit. But the fact that intimacy for me is now completely gone does make me sad, because I still wanted it with my husband. I wanted him to want me, but he was done. šŸ˜ž
Love,you are better off without him and I promise that you will feel better in time. My friends husband ran of with his cousin after over 20 years of marriage and 2 grown up kids. How sick is that? She lost her relationship and the house was repossessed and she was made homeless etc. A few years have gone by but she's back on her feet now. You will be o.k. If things get too much then reach out to your family and go to the G.P if you need to.X

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 4
Love,you are better off without him and I promise that you will feel better in time. My friends husband ran of with his cousin after over 20 years of marriage and 2 grown up kids. How sick is that? She lost her relationship and the house was repossessed and she was made homeless etc. A few years have gone by but she's back on her feet now. You will be o.k. If things get too much then reach out to your family and go to the G.P if you need to.X
He ran off with HIS OWN COUSIN?!
I know thatā€™s not technically illegal but duck that. Thatā€™s absolutely bleeping grim.

Reactions: 5
He ran off with HIS OWN COUSIN?!
I know thatā€™s not technically illegal but duck that. Thatā€™s absolutely bleeping grim.

Really, really grim. Also when she first met him and started talking about previous partners etc he told her he was previously seeing his cousin( another one)! Also I don't know how he managed to run off with someone as he wasn't really allowed to go off for hours by himself etc.

Hello all

Hi how are things going with you now ? Any update ?

Iā€™m sorry to ambush this thread but Iā€™m in a similar situation. My husband moaned at me not wasting sec after the birth of our daughter, it was a bad birth so the thought of sex really scared me. He now wonā€™t touch me, heā€™s told me heā€™s not in love with me anymore but he loves me. He wonā€™t leave, he says he wants to try but heā€™s not trying anything. Everything is going wrong I think heā€™s having a mid life crisis but where does that leave me. How long am I meant to wait? Iā€™m downstairs now crying on the sofa with the baby monitors waiting for one to wake up and feel wanted. I know that sounds pathetic. I canā€™t go to bed I canā€™t bare to be in bed with someone who doesnā€™t love me it makes me feel physically sick. I love him so much and I donā€™t know what to do Iā€™m so lost. This probably makes no sense, sorry

• Sad
  • Heart
Iā€™m sorry to ambush this thread but Iā€™m in a similar situation. My husband moaned at me not wasting sec after the birth of our daughter, it was a bad birth so the thought of sex really scared me. He now wonā€™t touch me, heā€™s told me heā€™s not in love with me anymore but he loves me. He wonā€™t leave, he says he wants to try but heā€™s not trying anything. Everything is going wrong I think heā€™s having a mid life crisis but where does that leave me. How long am I meant to wait? Iā€™m downstairs now crying on the sofa with the baby monitors waiting for one to wake up and feel wanted. I know that sounds pathetic. I canā€™t go to bed I canā€™t bare to be in bed with someone who doesnā€™t love me it makes me feel physically sick. I love him so much and I donā€™t know what to do Iā€™m so lost. This probably makes no sense, sorry
If heā€™s told you he isnā€™t in love with you anymore, heā€™s not showing any interest at all in physical intimacy and heā€™s not making any effort to try to work on your marriage I think you know deep down that the relationship is already over. I know itā€™s hard to hear and to admit to but if itā€™s over, itā€™s over. You canā€™t force it, and you deserve more than to be living with a man who has told you heā€™s no longer in love with you. It sounds like you probably both need some space to decide what you want to happen next - you are going to have to have this conversation with him, work out how to give eachother some space and take it from there.

I am sorry to read this, and sorry to know that others are experiencing this, it's awful. My husband told me the exact same thing; that he was not in love with me anymore, "but still had some loving feelings towards me." I know the pain and hurt these words cause. I felt like I was dying of grief. I don't have a lot of advice to give, Jojoo, it is so hard when you love the person so much. Unfortunately for me, it did not work out the way I wanted, and my husband left us. Looking back, I think he fell out of love with me a long time ago, and I was just his means of having kids to carry on his name. I do hope you have a better outcome with your husband. If you lay it all out on the table, and bear your heart to him, I don't know what else you can do, but it's worth a try. Maybe some marriage counselling too? Childbirth can have lasting effects mentally, I was a wreck for a long time, and I just don't think a lot of husbands get how traumatic it is.

I am sorry to read this, and sorry to know that others are experiencing this, it's awful. My husband told me the exact same thing; that he was not in love with me anymore, "but still had some loving feelings towards me." I know the pain and hurt these words cause. I felt like I was dying of grief. I don't have a lot of advice to give, Jojoo, it is so hard when you love the person so much. Unfortunately for me, it did not work out the way I wanted, and my husband left us. Looking back, I think he fell out of love with me a long time ago, and I was just his means of having kids to carry on his name. I do hope you have a better outcome with your husband. If you lay it all out on the table, and bear your heart to him, I don't know what else you can do, but it's worth a try. Maybe some marriage counselling too? Childbirth can have lasting effects mentally, I was a wreck for a long time, and I just don't think a lot of husbands get how traumatic it is.
Itā€™s nice to find someone who understands, Iā€™ve not spoken to anyone about it, Iā€™m so scared. I have two kids under 3 the youngest being 10months I donā€™t think I can do this on my own. Iā€™ve tried so many times to talk to him and it leads no where. He wonā€™t leave so we can have space so I feel stuck

Itā€™s nice to find someone who understands, Iā€™ve not spoken to anyone about it, Iā€™m so scared. I have two kids under 3 the youngest being 10months I donā€™t think I can do this on my own. Iā€™ve tried so many times to talk to him and it leads no where. He wonā€™t leave so we can have space so I feel stuck
What do you mean it leads to nowhere?? What does he say?

whatā€™s he expecting here?! Heā€™s told you he doesnā€™t love you and what? He expects you to just take that and carry on regardless as if everythingā€™s normal?!!!

No.

i know this is hard but duck that. You are going to have to take the lead here and you tell him that YOU need space and that he needs to give that to you.

• Heart
I'm so sorry to hear what you're going through, I can't imagine how you must be feeling. One thing I will say though is that he absolutely cannot tell you he is no longer in love with you, and then not talk it out with you. He also can't just expect things to carry on as normal, that's not fair on you and ultimately - not fair on the children either. I think you need to just be strong and tell him that he needs to talk it though with you, whether he wants to or not, he has to. You deserve to know exactly what is going on with his feelings, and also where he wants the relationship to go. He owes it to both you and your children to be honest.

Please also don't doubt yourself and think that you can't take care of the kids alone, you are stronger than you may think!

• Heart
What do you mean it leads to nowhere?? What does he say?

whatā€™s he expecting here?! Heā€™s told you he doesnā€™t love you and what? He expects you to just take that and carry on regardless as if everythingā€™s normal?!!!

No.

i know this is hard but duck that. You are going to have to take the lead here and you tell him that YOU need space and that he needs to give that to you.
He just says he has nothing to say about it anymore. Basically Iā€™m meant to wait for him to make his decision, he wonā€™t leave because he doesnā€™t not want to see the kids and he will have lost everything. I think deep down he knows if he leaves thatā€™s it he wonā€™t come back.

I tried again last night but he got angry and said Iā€™ve told you I need time. And yes thatā€™s what he expects itā€™s such a mindfuck as it makes me thinks everything is normal

I'm so sorry to hear what you're going through, I can't imagine how you must be feeling. One thing I will say though is that he absolutely cannot tell you he is no longer in love with you, and then not talk it out with you. He also can't just expect things to carry on as normal, that's not fair on you and ultimately - not fair on the children either. I think you need to just be strong and tell him that he needs to talk it though with you, whether he wants to or not, he has to. You deserve to know exactly what is going on with his feelings, and also where he wants the relationship to go. He owes it to both you and your children to be honest.

Please also don't doubt yourself and think that you can't take care of the kids alone, you are stronger than you may think!
thank you ā¤ He says he needs time to work it all out, deep down I think heā€™s just scared to admit it is over.
Iā€™m so confused

• Heart