Sex And The City And Just Like That...

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I watched the second film last night for the first time in a few years and you know what, if you get past the Liza Minnelli - Single Ladies (I chose to fast forward this time because musicals genuinely make me cringe) and the excessive wooden laughing from the characters at Miranda’s one liners, it’s slightly better than I thought 😂

it’s no where near as good as the first film and the storyline was awful but it was more fun!

The first film where Carrie gets out the car and hits big with the flowers and Charlotte goes NO! in Big’s face and the NYE scenes are so sad so I think they tried to make the second one light hearted but I think the whole thing was just one big cringe but silly.
That Charlotte bit chokes me up every time, I know some people laugh at / mock Kristin's delivery, but I find it very impactful and moving, really believable.

The anger and tears in her eyes are so powerful.

Then the spell is broken as she comedically waddles off to the limo I'm her fishtail dress. 😆

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 14
I love the song Moon River! And of course Big had to make me love it more. . . . though I was so peed off she needed him to come rescue her in France and so pissed off she let the Russian make her so miserable. The movies I hated.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I love the series, I got into it as a teen watching series 5/6 and then got the boxset.
I don't think it has dated well (the episode where Carrie dates a bisexual man and the episode where Samantha falls out with her black boyfriends sister spring to mind). However, it is of its time and was one of those TV shows that will still be iconic even if aspects of it are no longer relevant (I suppose Friends is similar, with the lesbian jokes not landing well now)
I also love seeing NYC!

Carrie is such a narc and so self absorbed, I just couldn't be friends with her. No matter what is going on in her friends lives - cancer, infertility, infidelity, divorce etc- she always makes it about her. She is also the character who fails to progress or grow at all during the series and the films. I think Miranda and Charlotte grow the most.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I loved it for its locations. I love NY and would return in a heartbeat, if it wasn’t for Covid.

Reactions: 4
I’m rewatching from the beginning and I still love it even though I was a child when it first aired but Carrie annoys me so much! Especially the affair with Big - she’s so selfish. Telling Aidan to make herself feel better and because she needs drama. Also, doing it on Charlotte’s wedding day because it always needs to be about her. Yes, I’m too invested :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: 9
I re-watched it all recently including the films to help me through my break-up. Yeah it’s dated but it’s fun! I love the girls even though Carrie has issues. Aidan & Berger were the worse IMO.

My fave tv show! What I love even more is most women can be divided in two camps and often get HEATED about it. Aiden or Mr Big 🤣 I unfortunately to my demise in life - am Mr Big all the way!
(I discount the films especially number 2 🤮)

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Started watching it again from the beginning thanks to this thread! I forgot how much I didn’t like the Samantha lesbian story line, Maria was very annoying

Started watching it again from the beginning thanks to this thread! I forgot how much I didn’t like the Samantha lesbian story line, Maria was very annoying
And so controlling, demanding and judgemental!

Reactions: 6
Absolutely loved SATC. I used to relate to Carrie when I was a self centred teenager. Now I am older, I see myself as a Miranda. ‘He’s just not that into you!’ Didn’t like how she treated Skipper though - or Steve at times.

Didn’t like Aidan and I HATED Berger. Mr Big all the way, but wouldn’t rule out Aleksandr though!

Reactions: 4
They shouldn’t have made the second film. I am a massive fan, One of the women that drags their boyfriend in the SATC tour in NY. However, that film was insulting, offensive, pointless and boring. They were milking the already drained cow.

Reactions: 10
They shouldn’t have made the second film. I am a massive fan, One of the women that drags their boyfriend in the SATC tour in NY. However, that film was insulting, offensive, pointless and boring. They were milking the already drained cow.
100% That film sucked and there was basically no story to it at all.

Loved this series watched it originally throughout my 20s, rewatch it anytime it's on comedy central etc. Also have all the box sets.
Aidan was a sweetheart but he was too good for carrie!
I'm team big! I think any girl who has had a Mr Big in their life just gets it. I had one, loved him so much, he left, came back engaged, the episode on the beach where carrie sees Big with Natasha for the 1st time was like a knife through my heart! Same happened to me (not a beach but a bar)
I read an interview with Mr Big one time and he was commenting on Carrie's character....his take was he was honest from day one, he never made her promises, she pushed for more but that wasn't for him.
I always wanted to be like carrie but as I got older I realised she was a complete mess!
The writing for me also went downhill after season 4 when SJP took over the production.
Samantha will always be fab! Smyth was ace, Harry and Charlotte ❤
Miranda & Steve worked out well. Berger I hated!!!!
Ha! I could write all night, one of my favourite series ever.

Quick question?? Does anyone think SJP and Chris Noth had a bit of real life sexual tension? I'm on Instagram so lots of SATC pages on there and a lot seem to say that they where overly friendly even when the cameras stopped rolling. Sometimes the way they look at each other. Or maybe they are just very good friends/actors.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
I know it’s been discussed Carrie and most people’s dislike for her but I reallllly hated what they did to her character after the aiden engagement break up, when she cut her hair its like they replaced former carrie with a caricature version, she became cheesy and extra annoying.

Reactions: 3
I know it’s been discussed Carrie and most people’s dislike for her but I reallllly hated what they did to her character after the aiden engagement break up, when she cut her hair its like they replaced former carrie with a caricature version, she became cheesy and extra annoying.
Agree the cheese and tongue poking, was just grating, the time they went to Atlantic Titty she was soooooo extra with the acting. Its worth noting though that SJP took over the production around season 4 (would need to double check) at this time the fallout came with Kim Cattrall also due to SJP giving the orders. Season 2 and 3 were my all time favs!

Agree the cheese and tongue poking, was just grating, the time they went to Atlantic Titty she was soooooo extra with the acting. Its worth noting though that SJP took over the production around season 4 (would need to double check) at this time the fallout came with Kim Cattrall also due to SJP giving the orders. Season 2 and 3 were my all time favs!
All that “I’m gonna her laaaiiiid” bullshit when she went to meet Big,god that was awful and the beginning of the end of SATC in my opinion (although I never missed an episode after and have watched both horrific films several times...) 😂

• Haha
Oh god the getting laid one was so annoying 😆

still watch it and love it but mainly for the other ladies.

Towards the end of freshers week ten years ago I got tonsillitis and my flat mate lent me her box set and I watched the whole thing from my sick bed.

I’ve got tonsillitis this week and thinking whether I should be doing the same thing again 🤣

I like to think of myself as a Samantha/Miranda/Charlotte hybrid. Could never relate to Carrie she always wound me up, especially from the minute she threw the McDonald’s at Big, what a waste 😑

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I’ve just finished rewatching and my biggest take from it is that Big did nothing wrong 🤷‍♀️. She tried to force their relationship to be something it wasn’t rather than admit it wasn’t working and move on. Although I can relate to that massively which is probably why it annoyed me so much 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.