Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

BattleAxing

VIP Member
I love charity shops. I tend to avoid certain chains though. BHF for example, I find they notoriously charge the RRP or sometimes even more for their items, no matter what condition it is in. Well worn, bobbly Primark clothing often costs more than it would brand new, even though Primark itself is literally across the street. I like the ones nearby to me which are ran by Salvation Army and a small local hospice. They tend to be your typical flea market style charity shops, manned by little old ladies, where you can have a good old rummage - children's books are 4-6 for £1 and most seem to be brand new. Im quite lucky since my 2 year old enjoys books more than anything else so gifts for him are quite a cheap affair. The best find I have had was an uncycled dressing table, it cost me £15 and is made of solid wood, has a huge mirror and is a stunning piece of furniture. Far more eye-catching and better quality than the modern ones that are currently priced at around £150, if not more.

On the subject of shampoo and conditioning bars. The Lush ones made my hair so dry! Which is unsurprising tbf as most of their products are packed with parfume. I used a brilliant one from a small time vegan soap home made vendor which were great but she since gave up her business - a shame really as I would turn my nose up at using bars of soap before I used hers. If anyone could recommend any good soap/shampoo bars?

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 2

Yogarow

I buy stuff second hand regularly, but go through phases where I do buy new often out of convenience. I've had loads of recent success in the charity shops,me and my 10 year old daughter got loads! (She wears petite size 6 so doesn't shop in the kids) however we were in ymca and I picked up 2 borge shakets, one was mens and one ladies. Both blue, as they were similar i put them.both down together to have a think about them while we looked around, only to watch another lady pick them up and buy both! We were like nnoooooooo!! They were £7 for both! Lesson learnt

Reactions: 2

nurseren

VIP Member
I love charity shops. I tend to avoid certain chains though. BHF for example, I find they notoriously charge the RRP or sometimes even more for their items, no matter what condition it is in. Well worn, bobbly Primark clothing often costs more than it would brand new, even though Primark itself is literally across the street. I like the ones nearby to me which are ran by Salvation Army and a small local hospice. They tend to be your typical flea market style charity shops, manned by little old ladies, where you can have a good old rummage. The best find I have had was an uncycled dressing table, it cost me £15 and is made of solid wood, has a huge mirror and is a stunning piece of furniture.

On the subject of shampoo and conditioning bars. The Lush ones made my hair so dry! Which is unsurprising tbf as most of their products are packed with parfume. I used a brilliant one from a small time vegan soap home made vendor which were great but she since gave up her business - a shame really as I would turn my nose up at using bars of soap before I used hers. If anyone could recommend any good soap/shampoo bars?
The only Lush shampoo bar that worked on my hair was a Pink one called Jason and the something, I’ll check the site for you. I have very coarse curly hair that I straighten! I now use a garnier one, costs me about £4 and my hair likes it. The lush ones tend to break apart easily but this one has lasted.

Reactions: 1

nurseren

VIP Member
I remember growing up my parents always bought 2nd hand furniture (wardrobes, dressers, chairs) some of the wardrobes still going strong, my brother is so eager to get rid of them but my mum just can't let go, I'm talking wardrobes that are like 40 years old, they really just don't make them like they used to, things nowadays are really not built to last.

I've bought a few second hand tablets and laptops, the problem is they don't last long, 3/4 of the items we purchased died literally 6 months in of not sooner the same thing brand new has got us through atleast 2/3 years.

I want to switch to electric but we can't afford it. We were in so much debt about 10 years ago (finally paid it all off) too scared to go on to lease/hp don't want to go down that rabbit hole again, will have to wait until prices come down on the 2nd hand market.
I totally get what you mean. This car is £36k, I mean who can afford that! I pay £200 through work, so it’s not too bad.

I’m worried that’s what will happen with the kindle fire, but it’s still in warranty! Phew.

HandTmum

Not second hand but definitely sustainable -

I've recently bought some toothpaste tablets so traditional toothpaste tubes don't go to waste.

I'm now using shampoo bars. I've noticed they don't cause my scalp psoriasis to flare up too.

I bought hand cream bars to try too. So far so good.
Do you have any brand recommendations please? Have been wanting to try this for a while but not sure what to go for

blueblueindigo

Ethique shampoo bars are really good, especially for curly or dry hair! I've yet to find a moisturising enough conditioner bar though!
I grew up with solid haircare from Lush (it was the only option available to me) and it was super expensive for what you get. Ethique reminds me of them in terms of price point. I would really recommend having a look on Etsy, the makers there are much better value. Ditto at finding solid conditioner a bit of a let down, I prefer to use oils instead.

Dustye

I grew up with solid haircare from Lush (it was the only option available to me) and it was super expensive for what you get. Ethique reminds me of them in terms of price point. I would really recommend having a look on Etsy, the makers there are much better value. Ditto at finding solid conditioner a bit of a let down, I prefer to use oils instead.
Good tip, thanks. I will check out Etsy!

HandTmum

A lot of people use Lush shampoo bars. I used to use them about 10 years ago but don't remember why I stopped. I think my hair felt a bit dry using them at the time but I'm sure they have improved them by now. I am using one from Zero Waste Path for itchy scalp and I love it.

Hand cream bars is from Edinburgh natural skin care.

Toothpaste tabs from Denttabs. Not sure I am used to them just yet!

I bought all these products from Anything But Plastic website.
Thanks so much!