Second hand buying / sustainability chat

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
No kid plays with Grimma rainbows. They are for parents to buy to think they are better than everyone else. Fact.
😂😂 I love you / this.

Re paw patrol - I guess it’s a double edged sword, it’s good it retains its value as if you want to resell it, it’s an option, but navigating reselling is such hell that most people would sooner regift it so don’t benefit from that. I’m dreading when my LO wants those licensed plastic toys
When we had our little one I bought has much second hand as I could - even loads of his cloth nappies were eBay finds. We're not planning to have another child so I've tried to pass most of it on to other new parents, but they're not interested and want to buy everything new! I also get some funny comments for having put him in cloth nappies but that's a whole other discussion 😅

Does anyone have good tips for sustainable Christmas gifting (especially when you're broke due to childcare costs!)? I'm only planning to buy gifts for immediate family and will mostly get them bar soaps, refillable bottles of body lotion etc. My sisters are quite a bit younger (early 20s) and into their vintage fashion so I'm going to scour Depop for a couple of cool bits for them.

But already the Christmas pressure is so intense! We're on an economy drive atm but I'm being asked what Christmas 'events' we're going to take our son to/what expensive presents we're going to get him. They all cost a fortune! He's only two and is used to most of his toys/clothes being second hand so I have no worries that he'll be totally unfussed. But the judgement from the m/c #makingmemories mums is something else.

I was raised Jewish but the last few years my family have got really into Christmas so this is still bewildering to me!
I also love you and your #makingmemories huns. Agree COMPLETELY about the pressure to do events, I’m picking and choosing what we want to do and what we as a family enjoy. I’m going to sound vile but in the same way I wouldn’t let these people pressure me into going on holiday to Dubai, I’m not driving all the way to Kent to sit on a de commissioned southeastern train rattling down 500 feet of railway and pretending I can’t see the old velour chairs were all sat on. For £40 a pop? It’s insanity.

I’m taking LO Santa does their stocking which will be practical / educational bits and mummy and daddy buy your big presents so im hoping we’ll dodge that Santa obsession bullet. I don’t want to pay for a grotto and get a gift that we don’t need / want, I wish people would see these practices for how antiquated they are.

Re telling other mums - again im not being vile I think you just need to find your people who get it. I cba to be patronised with incorrect assumptions because I buy my LO second hand clothes and love eBay. There’s so much MC prestige and delusion wrapped up in parenting that one second hand mum can’t tackle it all alone x

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Do you have any brand recommendations please? Have been wanting to try this for a while but not sure what to go for
A lot of people use Lush shampoo bars. I used to use them about 10 years ago but don't remember why I stopped. I think my hair felt a bit dry using them at the time but I'm sure they have improved them by now. I am using one from Zero Waste Path for itchy scalp and I love it.

Hand cream bars is from Edinburgh natural skin care.

Toothpaste tabs from Denttabs. Not sure I am used to them just yet!

I bought all these products from Anything But Plastic website.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I’m considering sourcing my wedding dress “preloved”
From one of those re-sell boutiques.

my mum was horrified when I said I would like a 2nd hand dress for eco reasons. I think she thinks I’m just being frugal.
I think this is so cool, it’s also going to give you SO much more choice then if you bought new! You could find something really unique. I’d be tempted to find your one then take it to your mum as proof of concept, cos she may think you’re going to only be able to find princess di inspired numbers lol

Reactions: 4
I really want to charity shop more but the ones here are so expensive and not great at sorting out the crap - Primark tops from two seasons ago sold for £6 when they’d be £8 brand new; furniture is at least £35 for something you could get similar for in ikea for under £25 and the kids toys are grubby and in bad condition. I’ve got some good books and games/puzzles from there which are reasonable but it’s certainly not a realistic way for me to be sustainable.
Primark is always priced high currently, and no idea why?

I was raised Jewish but the last few years my family have got really into Christmas so this is still bewildering to me!
I’m Jewish too! We only buy for our son and not each other.

😂😂 I love you / this.

Re paw patrol - I guess it’s a double edged sword, it’s good it retains its value as if you want to resell it, it’s an option, but navigating reselling is such hell that most people would sooner regift it so don’t benefit from that. I’m dreading when my LO wants those licensed plastic toys
We limit what our son is in too; we kept him away from paw patrol as long as we could. He only started watching screens during lockdown! I also limit what toys he has too otherwise the house is just a mess with them. He loves monsters trucks and paw patrol, so that’s all we are having at the moment.

I can’t find the post/poster now hit when my son was born and during my pregnancy I did a splurge and save list. On the splurge list was brand new items such as a buggy, car seat, crib and a steriliser. Absolutely everything else was second hand.

Last edited:
  • Heart
A lot of people use Lush shampoo bars. I used to use them about 10 years ago but don't remember why I stopped. I think my hair felt a bit dry using them at the time but I'm sure they have improved them by now. I am using one from Zero Waste Path for itchy scalp and I love it.

Hand cream bars is from Edinburgh natural skin care.

Toothpaste tabs from Denttabs. Not sure I am used to them just yet!

I bought all these products from Anything But Plastic website.
Thanks so much!

I buy so much 2nd hand, our town is full of charity shops so it started out as being the only shops available if you didn't want to go online, and now I've become so used to those prices I really baulk at paying £20 for a t shirt.
I give loads of stuff back to the shops, I can't really be bothered to sell it, it's more hassle than it's worth more often than not.
I know someone on the other thread said that people should leave charity shop stuff for those who are genuinely skint but I just feel like there is so much STUFF in the world now, surely there is enough second hand to go round.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I love charity shops. I tend to avoid certain chains though. BHF for example, I find they notoriously charge the RRP or sometimes even more for their items, no matter what condition it is in. Well worn, bobbly Primark clothing often costs more than it would brand new, even though Primark itself is literally across the street. I like the ones nearby to me which are ran by Salvation Army and a small local hospice. They tend to be your typical flea market style charity shops, manned by little old ladies, where you can have a good old rummage - children's books are 4-6 for £1 and most seem to be brand new. Im quite lucky since my 2 year old enjoys books more than anything else so gifts for him are quite a cheap affair. The best find I have had was an uncycled dressing table, it cost me £15 and is made of solid wood, has a huge mirror and is a stunning piece of furniture. Far more eye-catching and better quality than the modern ones that are currently priced at around £150, if not more.

On the subject of shampoo and conditioning bars. The Lush ones made my hair so dry! Which is unsurprising tbf as most of their products are packed with parfume. I used a brilliant one from a small time vegan soap home made vendor which were great but she since gave up her business - a shame really as I would turn my nose up at using bars of soap before I used hers. If anyone could recommend any good soap/shampoo bars?

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 2
I love charity shops. I tend to avoid certain chains though. BHF for example, I find they notoriously charge the RRP or sometimes even more for their items, no matter what condition it is in. Well worn, bobbly Primark clothing often costs more than it would brand new, even though Primark itself is literally across the street. I like the ones nearby to me which are ran by Salvation Army and a small local hospice. They tend to be your typical flea market style charity shops, manned by little old ladies, where you can have a good old rummage. The best find I have had was an uncycled dressing table, it cost me £15 and is made of solid wood, has a huge mirror and is a stunning piece of furniture.

On the subject of shampoo and conditioning bars. The Lush ones made my hair so dry! Which is unsurprising tbf as most of their products are packed with parfume. I used a brilliant one from a small time vegan soap home made vendor which were great but she since gave up her business - a shame really as I would turn my nose up at using bars of soap before I used hers. If anyone could recommend any good soap/shampoo bars?
The only Lush shampoo bar that worked on my hair was a Pink one called Jason and the something, I’ll check the site for you. I have very coarse curly hair that I straighten! I now use a garnier one, costs me about £4 and my hair likes it. The lush ones tend to break apart easily but this one has lasted.

Reactions: 1
I love charity shops. I tend to avoid certain chains though. BHF for example, I find they notoriously charge the RRP or sometimes even more for their items, no matter what condition it is in. Well worn, bobbly Primark clothing often costs more than it would brand new, even though Primark itself is literally across the street. I like the ones nearby to me which are ran by Salvation Army and a small local hospice. They tend to be your typical flea market style charity shops, manned by little old ladies, where you can have a good old rummage - children's books are 4-6 for £1 and most seem to be brand new. Im quite lucky since my 2 year old enjoys books more than anything else so gifts for him are quite a cheap affair. The best find I have had was an uncycled dressing table, it cost me £15 and is made of solid wood, has a huge mirror and is a stunning piece of furniture. Far more eye-catching and better quality than the modern ones that are currently priced at around £150, if not more.

Try https://www.zerowastepath.co.uk/collections/shampoo-bars for shampoo bars!

I just feel like there is so much STUFF in the world now, surely there is enough second hand to go round.
I always feel like this when I go to Homesense. I love it for a nose and I know all shops are full of STUFF but I honestly go in and think who needs ANY of this stuff? I'm not talking about plates or duvets or actual usefull daily household items. Just statues and bookends shaped like globes and all the stuff that you see in there every single time.

People have a really weird attitude to second hand clothes sometimes. I have a really nice down coat that cost me £10 from ebay and I get a lot of compliments about it, anytime I say its from ebay people are all ooh I don't have time for ebay, its too much of a faff etc.

Reactions: 6
I always feel like this when I go to Homesense. I love it for a nose and I know all shops are full of STUFF but I honestly go in and think who needs ANY of this stuff? I'm not talking about plates or duvets or actual usefull daily household items. Just statues and bookends shaped like globes and all the stuff that you see in there every single time.

People have a really weird attitude to second hand clothes sometimes. I have a really nice down coat that cost me £10 from ebay and I get a lot of compliments about it, anytime I say its from ebay people are all ooh I don't have time for ebay, its too much of a faff etc.
Love eBay for clothes! Or Vinted

I love it for a nose and I know all shops are full of STUFF but I honestly go in and think who needs ANY of this stuff?
I felt like this when I was searching for a specific Columbia fleece (lol) and ended up on ASOS, it’s been years and years since I bought from there (used to buy a lot, and frequently!) and I thought omg the volume of just everything is obscene.

I’ve been buying stuff on eBay for years, before being sustainable was talked about really and my old friends always turned their nose up and scoffed, said it was disgusting that I would wear clothes that had come from someone else’s house. 2 of them now by off depop and all those sites. One of them has bought her baby’s clothes off there. Don’t get me wrong I’m glad but a part of me wanted to say to them sarcastically “yes im sorry dancing Queen for being rude to you about your second hand clothes!”
Also they would often compliment clothes that I’d got on there and I’d be like, thanks I paid 1.99 for it including postage. It’s great for me as I mostly wear leggings and dresses so I can buy really cheap casual dresses on there for next to nothing

Reactions: 5
Ethique shampoo bars are really good, especially for curly or dry hair! I've yet to find a moisturising enough conditioner bar though!

Reactions: 3
I use shampoo bars too - I started by trying the more well known brands like Faith in Nature and then I found a company that sold big boxes of bar ends and offcuts so I bought a huge box from them - I think it’ll be enough for about the next ten years!
That company aren’t trading anymore, but you can still buy offcuts from some of the sellers on Etsy.

My home is a mixture of old and new. As it was built quite recently I didn’t want to go with the usual trend for putting ultra modern furniture in newly built properties.

I’ve got a fairly eclectic style so while our sofas are new (except my 25 year old Chesterfield in the dining room) and quite modern in style, the rest of the furniture is a mix from auctions as well as a few bits from the likes of Barker and Stonehouse, along with pieces we’ve brought home from our travels, like our Chinese cabinet.

I love browsing auction catalogues and I’ve picked up some fantastic bits and pieces over the years.

I donate my clothes to charity when I’ve grown tired of them but I don’t personally wear second hand clothing … it’s a hang up I have from growing up poor.

We salvage a fair few bits from productions we work on too. The waste in the film industry is absolutely shocking. I currently have about half the set from one of the cancelled Game of Thrones prequel pilot episodes in my garden 😆

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Great idea for a thread , thanks for creating it.

I am trying to be more sustainable/ less wasteful , although some of this is driven by budget rather than being environmentally conscious.

I try to wear natural fibres , rather than synthetic

I don't see the point of buying new things for the sake of having new when older stuff is often better. I kept a lot of the furniture from my parents house . Older wardrobes and drawers seem to have a larger storage capacity than their modern counterparts. It helps I like a more retro aesthetic.

I'm the biggest fan of rummaging though charity shops as I like to know what's in stock before I go shopping, and I hate the disappointment of things not being in my size. I do buy a lot from ebay.

Does anybody else find second hand goods quite expensive at the moment?

Last edited: