Seaspiracy (Netflix)

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Have many people watched this? What are your thoughts? Also thought this would be a great place to discuss all things sustainable, plastic free, zero waste and more! šŸ’§šŸŸšŸ¦ˆ

Reactions: 1
Never seen this, but the people who made this film said a few years ago that cow farts were leading global warming more than emissions from cars, so straight away there are red flags to legitimacy of show.

The same people made a show called ''what the health'' where they said eating eggs was worse for you than smoking cigarettes. So although I am sure there is a very serious and good message within the show, I will wait for more credible sources to watch this issue.

Reactions: 1
I have just watched tonight. Some of the content was horrific and really sad to watch. That said, Iā€™m not sure of the credibility as the above poster has said. Will be interested to see whatā€™s reported on it. I have reduced my fish, seafood and meat consumption in recent years but tbh the thought of eating fish and seafood after watching that, is making me feel a bit ill. Iā€™ve just told my husband I wonā€™t be buying any for the foreseeable future. Heā€™s fine with it, I was always forcing him to eat fish over red meat anyway (with the exception of getting a chipper lol). I appreciate there are the same issues with red meat / any meat, eggs, dairy etc and I do still eat meat despite this, so am a hypocrite in that respect. I donā€™t eat eggs or much dairy just because I donā€™t like the thought of it šŸ¤¢ but do love cheese šŸ˜¬ Iā€™d like to reduce my animal product consumption more but tbh Iā€™m not willing to make the necessary changes / sacrifices. I think this will get easier as time goes on as the plant based food swaps available now are amazing and will only improve (I hope).

We make efforts to reduce our consumption generally, using zero waste shops and farmerā€™s markets, butchers & delis locally for food, stopping buying fizzy drinks, baking our own bread etc. Nothing groundbreaking but going in the right direction I hope. It still frustrates me how much packaging we consume, some of which is recyclable but a lot is not.
Iā€™ve started a veg patch the past few weeks, first time so hoping it works out šŸ¤žšŸ¼
Weā€™ve changed to smol products to reduce plastics, linen napkins, cloths & hankerchiefs (as well as disposable as theyā€™re still required at times).
I really try not to buy fast fashion or poor quality clothes and donā€™t shop often. Lockdown has been a big help, I havenā€™t bought work clothes since 2019 šŸ˜† and living in a rotation of leggings, jogging shoes & jumpers has been easy. My goal this year is to fit back into a load of ā€œniceā€ clothes instead of buying new, so Iā€™m 0.5st into a 2st weight loss to do this šŸ¤žšŸ¼
I havenā€™t made much progress on toiletries yet tbh. Itā€™s an area I need to focus on. Would be keen to hear recommendations for reducing plastic waste in this area. I should look at bars / lushā€™s ranges a bit more. Can work out quite expensive though I think.
Weā€™ve also dropped to 2 cars between 3 of us and are making an effort not to update electronics the way we used to. My MacBook gave up 6m ago (from 2012 so not bad going) but instead of ā€œneedingā€ to replace it, Iā€™m sharing my husbandā€™s.
Very simple (and not admirable) I know, but weā€™d been caught up in a comfortable consumerism lifestyle for years so slowly breaking away from it.

Iā€™ve recently started to use Olio to give away things for free, alongside listing for free on gumtree and fb marketplace. Itā€™s an alternative to giving to the charity shops who will be rammed with donations atm Iā€™m sure. Iā€™ve also applied to be a Food Waste Hero with them which means picking up bundles of free food from supermarkets and listing it on the app for free pick up. Itā€™s a great resource for families, especially those who may need additional support atm. Iā€™ve picked up plant cuttings, a sourdough starter and some books for free so far. Itā€™s a great resource, have a look if you havenā€™t already.

I follow a few zero waste / minimalist / thrifty insta pages but do t find many very inspiring. Does anyone have any recommendations? šŸ¤šŸ¤

Reactions: 4
What I like about this documentary is that it highlights something that has bugged me for years, which is the relative insignificance of everyday plastic use versus industrial use, which yes mostly comes from the fishing industry. I think the numbers they have used in this documentary are inaccurate (I have a PhD in an environmental sciences subject related to climate change and the figure I was always told was that closer to 20% of ocean plastic comes from the fishing industry, here it is presented as 50%) but they are correct that as consumers we pay so much attention to reducing plastic straws and plastic bags when they are a literal drop in the ocean compared to global fish demand. In fact, in many cases reducing plastics has an overall negative effect on climate emissions, for example paper bag production is much higher in emissions than plastic, meaning you would have to reuse a paper bag 3 to 4 times to offset the increased carbon. Our policy focuses on all the wrong things, let's ban plastic straws and replace them with equally if not more harmful paper ones, let's transport food out of plastic and increase food wastage, let's not focus any attention on fishing or animal agriculture (which DOES create roughly equivalent emissions to car transport). High intensity farming, both on land and on ocean, has an utterly devastating effect on the environment, animal lives AND human lives.

One thing I wasn't aware of (my PhD specifically relates to carbon cycles in the oceans so no idea how I didn't) is how much whales are involved in the ocean carbon storage. The amount of carbon locked in the ocean is astronomical, if it loses its ability to further absorb then it is absolutely game over for us.

Reactions: 6
Once a week both my husband and I go do a beach clean up or a woodland/ park area. Itā€™s disgusting what people leave at the beach or whatā€™s brought in with the tide. So many straws and single use plastic wrappers. Such a sad state.

I was utterly horrified by this documentary. I mean, I knew commercial fishing was bad but had no idea of the sheer scale of it! The size of the nets, the bycatch, the ā€œdolphin friendlyā€ labels on tins of tuna meaning absolutely f all, the whale and dolphin kills ā€œbecause they eat too much fishā€!! It made me so sad that we humans have done this to our precious, beautiful planet and I for one am sadly, guilty. :(

The documentary made me really sad, what are we doing to our planet!

Steps I have made:

Carry a reusable metal drink bottle
Reusable sanitary pads ( wearemout -recommend this brand)
Use soap bars, no shower gel plastic bottles
Refuse plastic toys in happy meal
Reusable bags for shopping
Biodegradable face wipes ( I know these are still not ideal)