Savanna Brockhill & Frankie Smith #8

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Previous thread:

TW: themes of domestic violence & violence towards and eventual murder of a child.

We’re all following the live updates for the trial for the murder of infant Star Hobson provided by the Telegraph & Argus, they set it as the main banner image daily for anyone who would like to follow.

Trial resumes Monday 29th November at 10.30am.

Reactions: 5
Could you do some social media stalking and try to find out the name of her mother? Babies / children with bruises on their cheeks are a big red flag for abuse happening to them because thats a very uncommon place to get bruises from normal, toddler activity.

Even if a child survives this type of abuse, it can completely wreck their adult lives and they grow up to have personality disorders and are unable to have healthy attachments with anyone.
Couldn’t respond on the other thread.
I know her first name, but nothing else. I didn’t think I could contact SS and give them the fathers name but I think that’s probably the best bet. The bruises really are horrific, I think the thing that threw me off was the fact every time it happens she tells him straight away and sends pictures, and because the child goes to school, but I did tell him the school will more than likely be building a file on them too.
I’m going to call in the morning, hopefully her explanations are genuine but it’s better to be safe than sorry - if it is innocent maybe it will motivate her to do something about the stairs.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Day 27 of the trial refers to the lip/doctors appointment/salt water thing. She rang the doctors, they rang back and advised salt water. I can’t find anything to say this didn’t happen. It seems likely it did given face to face appointments are at a minimum.

Reactions: 9
How would you rinse a baby's mouth with salt water and who on earth would advise to do this? Fair enough an adult could do this and swill it around their mouth but I don't get how you could do this to a baby? Is there actually any record of FS making this call or is it just her word we are taking?

Also, even if FS did not ever lay a finger on Star that does not mean she cannot be found guilty of causing or allowing the death of a child. The circumstances of her personal life also do not mean she cannot be guilty. I think we all agree DV is an emotive subject but it does not mean FS should have not got Star medical help or questioned all them injuries and took some kind of action

Reactions: 16
It was the day before Stars death and the day before that that FS raised taking Star to the hospital and SB discouraged her. Again, not an excuse, FS could arguably have taken her against SBs wishes, but F concerned and talking about getting help.

Reactions: 4
="Lilmack, post: 7272596, member: 21979"]
That's exactly the reason she was scared. We know that now. FS potentially didn't know that at the time though so it's reasonable to think it was SBs firm voice she was scared of and not to automatically jump to physical abuse being the reason?
Tried to reply on the last thread to you. I don’t know, I think this is where it’s hard to say. I feel torn here because I feel the word “scared” is an odd choice to use. I can appreciate it may look like Star didn’t want to go to SB, became upset or whatever, but scared? ☹ Maybe it’s FS poor choice of words or maybe there is no more to it especially with the bruises at this point? It’s just sad to think about.

Reactions: 3
How would you rinse a baby's mouth with salt water and who on earth would advise to do this? Fair enough an adult could do this and swill it around their mouth but I don't get how you could do this to a baby? Is there actually any record of FS making this call or is it just her word we are taking?
Easily. Soak a cotton wool ball in salt water and wipe over the area.
I’m assuming there is a record because AM didn’t point out there was no call record for it.

Reactions: 6
When lockdown first hit all I thought about was all these poor children who would be suffering due to schools shutting, social services limiting appointments, doctors not face to face ect and I feel like all I’ve read is about is child abuse cases within the past year 😞

• Sad
Reactions: 25
I think FS should be found guilty of causing or allowing because she essentially is guilty of that, I just don’t think it was intentional.

Reactions: 10
In fact I wonder if the leg thing was the trigger now rather than the ticket. FS is going to take Star to hospital, SB tries to put her off but FS says again later that she’s concerned. The next day, SB comes over, tries to make it look like Star fell off a chair so any/all injuries can be blamed on that, goes too far and Star dies.

She initially tells people she was first in the room, and then as she realises how much trouble she’s in she later shifts to “we both got there at the same time” and then eventually tries to frame FS, saying FS was there first and was lying in a position that would look like FS had punched her.

• Sad
Reactions: 15
Easily. Soak a cotton wool ball in salt water and wipe over the area.
I’m assuming there is a record because AM didn’t point out there was no call record for it.
The cut was inside the mouth though wasn't it? I'm sure any advise would be to go to a walk in centre to see if it needed to be stitched

Reactions: 5
I know her first name, but nothing else. I didn’t think I could contact SS and give them the fathers name but I think that’s probably the best bet. The bruises really are horrific, I think the thing that threw me off was the fact every time it happens she tells him straight away and sends pictures, and because the child goes to school, but I did tell him the school will more than likely be building a file on them too.
I’m going to call in the morning, hopefully her explanations are genuine but it’s better to be safe than sorry - if it is innocent maybe it will motivate her to do something about the stairs.
Honestly, if I were in your shoes I would do this as well. It does sound a bit concerning that the mother is trying to make excuses for bruises all the time.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I reported a family back along to NSPCC. I didn’t know either of the parents names but knew what the children were called (first names), where they lived and where they went to school. I’ve since found out that SS had been involved with them for a long time. But they were grateful for my concern/input as it helped them build their case about them. It was drug related and neglect rather than physical abuse in case anyone wondered. The children have since been removed and are living with a relative!

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I don’t think anything was a trigger, SB didn’t need a trigger. She got comfortable abusing Star.

• Sad
Reactions: 16
Tried to reply on the last thread to you. I don’t know, I think this is where it’s hard to say. I feel torn here because I feel the word “scared” is an odd choice to use. I can appreciate it may look like Star didn’t want to go to SB, became upset or whatever, but scared? ☹ Maybe it’s FS poor choice of words or maybe there is no more to it especially with the bruises at this point? It’s just sad to think about.
Yes when you add the bruises into the mix I think that *most* people would start to put the 2 together but I'm just not convinced FS had the normal thought processes most would. And I'm not implying that's because of her low intellect that has been discussed or her age or her mental state after being the victim of DV and controlled/coerced by SB but potentially a combination of all 3 meant that she just didn't see what was right in front of her eyes? I dunno at this point.

Reactions: 8
When lockdown first hit all I thought about was all these poor children who would be suffering due to schools shutting, social services limiting appointments, doctors not face to face ect and I feel like all I’ve read is about is child abuse cases within the past year 😞
I agree it’s heartbreaking. I’ve got an 8 month old and when the HV came to do her visit on day 5. She gave me a leaflet on dealing with crying babies and explained there had been an increase of cases of people shaking their babies because of lockdown. It’s just terrible, it makes me go all funny every time I think of it.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 14
Yes when you add the bruises into the mix I think that *most* people would start to put the 2 together but I'm just not convinced FS had the normal thought processes most would. And I'm not implying that's because of her low intellect that has been discussed or her age or her mental state after being the victim of DV and controlled/coerced by SB but potentially a combination of all 3 meant that she just didn't see what was right in front of her eyes? I dunno at this point.
I’m not disputing what you’ve said, it’s just a lot to miss isn’t it? That’s all I keep thinking. I can’t imagine handing my daughter over to somebody who I thought she was scared of. But appreciate we are not FS. I don’t know what she was thinking, it’s just an odd term to use IMO.

• Sad
Reactions: 7
I’m not disputing what you’ve said, it’s just a lot to miss isn’t it? That’s all I keep thinking. I can’t imagine handing my daughter over to somebody who I thought she was scared of. But appreciate we are not FS. I don’t know what she was thinking, it’s just an odd term to use IMO.
Oh I know. As a normal human being with it all laid out in black and white it's so hard to comprehend how she could have done that. I get it totally.

Reactions: 4
At the end of the day the jury may consider the DV and low intellect but they still have to put emotion to one side and make a judgement on what duty of care FS should have had to the child.

There are many cases were women kill their partners due to DV and they still get a prison sentence as although it is terrible and understandable how it come to happen, they still have to sentence them as in the eyes of the law it still has to be addressed.

I know someone who has special needs and he has been in and out of prison for the last few years, he is very vulnerable and has little understanding of right and wrong but he still receives prison sentences when he breaks the law. My personal opinion on this is he should be locked away in some kind of unit as he is a danger to the public he has stabbed two different people now. On one of the occasions someone encouraged him to do this and he is so influenced by people he just does what people say. So I don't think the jury will be able to excuse FS based on her needs

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.