Savanna Brockhill & Frankie Smith #10

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I work in paediatrics. It’s very common for children to be silent with broken bones. We worry more about quiet children than those screaming. My son actually broke his collar bone age 3, and he was the same as the above poster. Pale, quiet, silent and he didn’t actually identify to me where was hurting. Had I have not been a medical professional would I have taken him to be seen? Maybe not Straight away.

I’ve seen many people with a low iq who think screaming child equals serious injury and this isn’t the case (usually) so I can see how FS could be convinced star was ok.
First time poster here but been following closely.
Also to add, every time a child attends a&e. It doesn’t matter who you are or why you are there you will be asked safeguarding questions. And a report will always be sent to SS for every a&e visit. So my son visited a&e a number of times over the ‘threshold’ (thanks to 3 serious viruses, the broke collar bone and the great day he managed to eat a tub of vitamins) and I was contacted by SS as standard. But was a quick 2 minute phone call where they decided I wasn’t a risk.

Reactions: 12
I work in paediatrics. It’s very common for children to be silent with broken bones. We worry more about quiet children than those screaming. My son actually broke his collar bone age 3, and he was the same as the above poster. Pale, quiet, silent and he didn’t actually identify to me where was hurting. Had I have not been a medical professional would I have taken him to be seen? Maybe not Straight away.

I’ve seen many people with a low iq who think screaming child equals serious injury and this isn’t the case (usually) so I can see how FS could be convinced star was ok.
Also to add, every time a child attends a&e. It doesn’t matter who you are or why you are there you will be asked safeguarding questions. And a report will always be sent to SS for every a&e visit. So my son visited a&e a number of times over the ‘threshold’ (thanks to 3 serious viruses, the broke collar bone and the great day he managed to eat a tub of vitamins) and I was contacted by SS as standard. But was a quick 2 minute phone call where they decided I wasn’t a risk.
Thank you for your insight.

Re: the A&E visits - is this for England?! My youngest was a sicky baby and I frequently had to rock up at A&E with various viruses, croup etc. It was always organised through 111 though so had an appointment, but I've never been contacted and I was definitely there more than 3 times unfortunately, and never asked any safeguarding questions either.

Reactions: 3
I’ve taken my daughter to A&E so many times (mainly viral infections when I’ve been concerned about her breathing) but they’ve only ever really questioned me when she injured her upper frenulum (I mentioned on an earlier thread, she’d just started crawling and lunged but fell on her face with her dummy in). Any other time all they ask is if we have a social worker and that’s it.

Reactions: 5
It’s expected to, around lunchtime.
I hope so. I was hoping for the jury's sake that they would be able to reach a verdict by close of play tomorrow so they can go home this weekend and finally get some space away from this awful trial. It's so close to Christmas now and I really feel for those 11 people having to try and go back to normality at what is usually such a happy time of year with all those images/details swimming in their brains

Reactions: 9
Some people have a serious lack of boundaries. I can’t fathom what would compel someone to edit themselves into a photo to make it look like they’re holding someone else’s dead child. Part of me thinks they need help the other part of me thinks they need their hard drive checking.
Seems comments got deleted on her post and now admin have blocked comments! Just why would you make that picture !

• Wow
Reactions: 3
God, thank you so much guys for providing some light relief. This has been so incredibly heavy going.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I hope so. I was hoping for the jury's sake that they would be able to reach a verdict by close of play tomorrow so they can go home this weekend and finally get some space away from this awful trial. It's so close to Christmas now and I really feel for those 11 people having to try and go back to normality at what is usually such a happy time of year with all those images/details swimming in their brains
I really hope they get some leave from work to recover, it’s absolutely harrowing.

Seems comments got deleted on her post and now admin have blocked comments! Just why would you make that picture !
If it’s the one I saw, she’s had to cut Alicia out to put herself in. Grim.

• Wow
yeah I always think if it were my own sister in court I'd even buy the whole claw thing, I'd be clinging onto some hope that she wasn't a monster. I'd be desperate to not believe it
Absolutely! I think words turn very differently when your faced with cold hard evidence...before the trial all anyone had was SBs word... now family members have the evidence in their faces they now have a different perspective..just like some of us have now..what we thought before the trial to what we think now its closing xx

I walked around on a broken hip for 3 weeks when I was 13. DRs didn’t take me seriously because I wasn’t screaming and crying about it.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 7
I was looking up Baby P’s case the other day, I remember following it and being really troubled by it at the time but he’s been mentioned a few times since Arthur’s trial so I thought I’d have a look.
I read he had a broken BACK and broken ribs and the doctors missed it. I have absolutely no idea how that could be possibly missed or overlooked, I can’t even comprehend it, but it leads me to believe babies/toddlers may present completely different to how we’d expect when it comes to fractures and serious injuries. Star wasn’t described as constantly or continuously screaming, so that may have been why they assumed it was just a tantrum and not pain related?
I agree, surely they’d be in a lot of pain. However multiple times Iv requested extra testing at a&e for my kids when Iv felt like I wasn’t happy with just been sent home- with good reason too not just randomly, a blood test, a chest X-ray to name a few. I do have anxiety tho so I do convince myself of the worst at times, but the nhs are so understaffed & overworked they’re really trying their best
yeah I always think if it were my own sister in court I'd even buy the whole claw thing, I'd be clinging onto some hope that she wasn't a monster. I'd be desperate to not believe it
i would probably too, but I’d still have respect that a baby had been murdered & not go on posts goading & insulting people.

I've just joined that group for a nosey at the latest photoshop. My god, its like someone gave a preschooler a set of plastic scissors and let them get cracking. Mouth breathers.

• Sick
Reactions: 7
Absolutely! I think words turn very differently when your faced with cold hard evidence...before the trial all anyone had was SBs word... now family members have the evidence in their faces they now have a different perspective..just like some of us have now..what we thought before the trial to what we think now its closing xx
SB's sisters were posting as far back as last year saying Star had fallen and hit her head and 'didn't make it' - so SB clearly had spun a story and/or they'd created their own.

Reactions: 8

My youngest broke her wrist in three places on her first day back at school this year. I was asked repeatedly how this happened by each professional who saw us at the hospital. I of course wasn’t even around when the accident occurred, and I knew logically that it couldn’t be possibly referenced back to me or her home life. However, I still felt that irrational dread from each safe guarding question. In the back of my head I thought what if they don’t believe me, what if because she doesn’t look as neat and tidy as she usually does (she always looks so disheveled when coming out of school hair every where lunch down her clean clothes) and they think I’m not caring for her properly. I thought o god what if they think she looks over tired. It’s ridiculous and I am a rational and logical person (most of the time), my child was at school when they broke their wrist but I still had that fear of being viewed as an inadequate mother who couldn’t care for her child properly. My point is even the most logical and educated people can fear outside involvement. Whether or not they know that it is of course going to be fine. I can completely see FS’s reluctance to seek outside support. It is not right not at all, but I can see some of the reasons why she came to her less than adequate decisions.

Looking back at the medical evidence, it really does look like Star could’ve potentially been saved if FS had taken her limping, cries-when-leg-is-touched child to hospital. Unless it was the radiologist’s first day, they’d have realised. FS presumably wouldn’t have had an explanation, which would’ve caused even more concern and (presumably, hopefully) a major investigation.

Attachments

• Sad
Reactions: 2
I vaguely remember getting a call from the health visitor after one of my children had been to a&e a couple of times within the space of a few months with 2 unrelated injuries when they were little. They just wanted to check in, asked about the latest injury and remind us of the clinics and services that were available in the area but they didn’t seem overly concerned and we never heard from them again after that.

Gonna hold my hands up and admit that I used to do ‘the step’ with my own children. Would only leave them on it for a few minutes at a time (no more than 5 minutes) so they could calm down to a point where I could reason with them and talk to them about what ever it was that had happened. I didn’t start using it until they were around 2.5/3 years old as I didn’t think they’d understand it until then and to be fair they weren’t naughty children so it wasn’t even an every day thing. I don’t believe I did anything wrong or caused them any damage by doing this but I also know I didn’t abuse the parenting method and didn’t leave them there for extended periods of time like poor Arthur and poor Star. Many parenting methods are open to interpretation and unfortunately some parents interpret them wrong or use them for abusive reasons.

• Heart
As a child’s nurse I have seen many fractures the same as stars, in different parts of the body. A spiral fracture is a good indication of abuse because of how the bone is twisted, especially in babies before they can walk. I can say not every child I have witnessed cries out in pain all the time. Every childs pain threshold is different, just like adults.

Reactions: 8
SB's sisters were posting as far back as last year saying Star had fallen and hit her head and 'didn't make it' - so SB clearly had spun a story and/or they'd created their own.
Omy! I knew I saw that! Up until the trial I was under the impression Star had banged her head on something when neither of the adults were in the room. I couldn’t understand how they could be charged and remanded after the story I’d read, I couldn’t remember where I saw it but it must’ve been her comments on the T&A article. She made Savannah sound like the Light and Saviour of the world

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.