Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

soph30

VIP Member
I loved this film. One of the best films I’ve seen in a while. I think it deserved more nominations for the BAFTAS.
Yeah wonder why it didn't? Cinematography and plot was great.

I reckon it shot itself in the foot with the silly sex stuff shoved in to shock to be honest. That vampire scene could have been binned. Either the bathtub or the grave could have stayed, but only one. I think the award givers just rolled their eyes at those scenes being what all the fuss was about

Reactions: 4

strawb

VIP Member
i watched it this weekend finally! i have to admit i expected a bit more, it was very predictable.

that being said, the cinematography was astonishingly beautiful, the music was great (🎶 you took me to a restaurant... 🎶) and the acting amazing. particularly rosamund pike as i see this thread agrees, she is such a good snob!

Reactions: 4

LaraQ

VIP Member
Yes, I wondered about Farleigh too, as I thought he would have inherited the house. Your post echoed the thoughts in my head but you put it more eloquently than I could have!
He was disinherited because they thought he was the one that gave Felix the cocaine that killed him.

Reactions: 3

soph30

VIP Member
Put this in social media thread but it’s actually quite damning for the film maker that there’s only ever three scenes discussed; the two ‘shocking’ ones of a few seconds and the very last scene 😂 the film’s pretty long and detailed and the rest has been forgotten
---
I thought it was a great film; a cross between Brideshead Revisited and The Talented Mr. Ripley.
It basically plagiarised the Talented Mr Ripley 😆

Eirawen

VIP Member
I liked it though I think some of the scenes were put in to shock. At the start I felt really sorry for Oliver amongst all these posh gits and I doubted Felix's sincerity whe he appeared to befriend him . He ended up killing all the family very far fetched but enjoyable

ElektraWintour

VIP Member
I watched this last night to see what all the fuss was about. I’m not on tiktok so didn’t have anything spoiled for me but it did still feel a bit too long. Overall enjoyed it though and enjoyed the ‘eat the rich’ meaning 😂

Reactions: 2

troutpout69

VIP Member
I finally caved (fomo) & watched it last night, Rosamund pike was bloody brilliant, I don't think i got how he killed the family though, how did they die?
It wasn't very clear
I thought he poisoned the champagne and then made himself sick so it didn’t affect him. Razor blades left out to encourage Venetia.

merlot

Chatty Member
I finally caved (fomo) & watched it last night, Rosamund pike was bloody brilliant, I don't think i got how he killed the family though, how did they die?
It wasn't very clear

CarmenGhia

VIP Member
Finally watched this yesterday. Rosamund Pike was hilarious as Elspeth, although she was really awful.

Ollie was a monster, but we've all met someone who was a liar or a fantasist or a leech or just a freeloader, so we recognise parts of him. There were moments when you almost felt sorry for him early on, too.

I also like how Emerald Fennell resisted the urge to resolve every single part of the story. There's still bits of the plot to think about afterwards: where is Farleigh now and how did he react? What about the butler? Did Ollie kill James or Poor Dear Pamela as well?

LaraQ

VIP Member
It wasn't very clear
Spiked Felix's champagne with drugs so he overdosed."Encouraged" Venetia to kill herself by leaving a razor blade on the side of the bathtub.

Ablemabel

VIP Member
Expected to love it. Enjoyed it and it looked really bloody good, but there was something amiss for me and I'm not sure what that was. Rosamund Pike was brilliant though.

CoffeeMamma

VIP Member
I thought the acting and cinematography were great. I thought the plot was meh, so they stuck OTT sex scenes in for clout.

Wifo1976

VIP Member
Finally watched this yesterday. Rosamund Pike was hilarious as Elspeth, although she was really awful.

Ollie was a monster, but we've all met someone who was a liar or a fantasist or a leech or just a freeloader, so we recognise parts of him. There were moments when you almost felt sorry for him early on, too.

I also like how Emerald Fennell resisted the urge to resolve every single part of the story. There's still bits of the plot to think about afterwards: where is Farleigh now and how did he react? What about the butler? Did Ollie kill James or Poor Dear Pamela as well?
Yes, I wondered about Farleigh too, as I thought he would have inherited the house. Your post echoed the thoughts in my head but you put it more eloquently than I could have!

CarmenGhia

VIP Member
I don't know whether the butler was just a deliberate red herring, or someone who clocked Ollie straight away but whose position meant that he would never say anything to the Cattons. He could also have been harbouring a secret grudge against all of them too and be enjoying the chaos in his own way.

Reactions: 1

soph30

VIP Member
Rosamund deserved a nom imo.
Yeah I agree, she was great. I personally thought Emerald blew her chances with the silly teenage shock factor scenes which kind of overshadowed what else was great about the film

soph30

VIP Member
I almost think making Oliver a bit sinister made me see what was coming a bit. The vampire scene could have been skipped, it didn’t really add anything, and just set a spark in my mind of Oliver’s perverted lack of innocence. The way he approached that scene was quite knowing rather than simply being overcome by the girl’s beauty and status

Sea

VIP Member
I enjoyed it, but it was a predictable done before plot.

The shock scenes were an unnecessary directorial indulgence, but they served the purpose - people talking about them and watching the film.

The film was out last November? And was slated, how come it's resurged?