Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Cb2020

Maybe I'm naive but why on earth does it take literally weeks for them to edit a video? They even have an assistant (2 assistants maybe??). Like I get the videos have good production values but I'm almost certain the audience would forgo some of that for more frequent videos.

Reactions: 15

Theodore

VIP Member
I hope the relocation gets them on the right track. Having said that, given that the road trip happened over the new year holiday and it’s taken three months to edit and upload it then its not looking super hopeful. She makes reference a couple of times to her mental health, I assume that’s what “I’m still in my feelings” means, but not wanting to talk about it which is fine. She doesn’t have to talk about it on YouTube but I do hope she’s talking to someone about it in a professional capacity.

Reactions: 14

phoenixxx

She just posted an update post on youtube which contained a link to a blog where she explains where she's been:

I thought it was a very honest article. I can imagine that other content creators feel and felt similarly. This stuck out to me: "I don’t know if it’s just the feelings of isolation or the growing sense of failure or what, but pretty much since quarantine started, and we’ve been separated not only from our families but also business contacts, employees, and general daily routine - I feel like I’ve fallen into my own thoughts and emotions, and it’s taken me months to figure out how to get myself out of that hole. I’ve had such a hard time waking up in the morning, getting out of bed, getting my day started, and feeling productive. It feels like what little structure and routine I had just flew out the window, and the days started melting away." She sounds depressed. I'm glad she's taking active steps to improve her mental health and I'm sure they'll both feel a lot better once they move closer to family.

Reactions: 12

Elisha97

Chatty Member
I can't handle the way Safiya speaks (I mean that literally, not the content of what she says). I refuse to believe that's her actual speaking voice, so I don't feel bad making fun of it.

It's so fake and controlled, she overemphasizes each word, and she intentionally slows down the pace to the point where it's almost awkward. She's like a broadcast journalist who took a tranquilizer. In the beginning, I thought she was doing that to alleviate nerves and sound more confident and was ill-advised to do that (like how people tell kids to do that during a powerpoint presentation at school). But now I just think she believes that whatever she has to say is just so important and so intelligent that she needs to overemphasize everything so that her brilliance can shine through into our plebeian heads. :rolleyes:

It was tolerable at Buzzfeed, but it progressively got worse over the years. Tbh I forgot about her vids for a while, and clicked on one of her vids and it was so annoying I clicked out of the vid.
She does it to be accessible. As someone who is deaf and has an auditory processing disorder, she’s one of the few content creators I can understand and don’t struggle to listen to, and I really appreciate it. You can adjust the speed for her to ‘speak faster’ if you needed

Reactions: 11

Chummeh

New upload after a gap of 4 months. What did everyone think of it? Theres a new channel for livestreams too, every Tuesday.
I sincerely doubt they'll stick to their Tuesday livestreams, they have such terrible work ethics despite having so many resources available to them.

I like Safiya a lot and enjoy her content but find it so frustrating that they hardly put anything out. I wouldn't mind if this was a hobby for her, but this is her job.

• Angry

Amyx1518

VIP Member
I loved the moving vlog, I’d love to do a road trip across America like that, I could’ve watched hours more footage of that! I hope that the uploads/content continue on this hopeful trajectory and I am subbed to the new channel to see the live streams. Very interesting. I do love her and Tyler a lot so would love to see new content and not recycle all the old content that I do love but would like some new stuff!

Amyx1518

VIP Member
I actually think she deserves the subscribers she has. Sure her uploads have become quite sporadic but her back catalogue is amazing and when she does upload the videos are always very well thought out and obviously with a high production value. It’s clear she puts a lot of effort in.

Reactions: 10

hereforthedrama1

Chatty Member
Scrolling through random thread because I'm bored. Honestly shes my fave YouTuber and even if she only uploaded once a year she would still be my fave. This year has been hard for everyone, and I can imagine how hard it is to be someone like Saf who holds herself to this standard and probably feels like she shouldnt be doing anything other than work. At the moment there's loads of the "if you've achieved nothing this year it's your fault because you've had time" going around and its shit, people are allowed to be struggling and take time off

oshare

VIP Member
I think a lot of people want something simple to watch, easy to digest and take your mind off real life. I think that is what's appealing. Also they are both quite likeable people. They always seem genuinely excited and that puts people in a good mood. Also a bit of nostalgia and just wanting to see her for a bit. That kind of thing.
I loved her travel series and the hotel and restaurant series. They were good. But it also costs a lot of money, time and effort so I understand larger productions like that is not something she can do too often, hence the repetitive melting videos

D_Wills

VIP Member
I admit I do like the mixing and melting everything together videos. Not only are they extremely satisfying to watch, a form of asmr I guess, they are always really informative and so can tell they've done their research on the subject. I think getting pissed at how much money they are making is a bit odd, they come from that first group of youtubers who made mega money and super rich, the ones who actually put effort in to their content. Nothing like the UK creators who think showing what's on sale in B&M for 10 minutes is quality content.

Reactions: 9

Blue Rose

VIP Member
I think the reason her videos were so spaced out before is because they’re very packed. Take the candle video, they had to research all the different scents, buy them in store or online, then do all the scooping to get all the scents into one candle and make it. All of her videos follow this sort of format so it’s no surprise they take so long to produce. It’s sad she’s feeling down at the moment and probably feels all her videos have to live up to this standard, hopefully she feels better soon and doesn’t feel so much pressure to upload videos like that if she finds it hard.

Rosie34567-2

VIP Member
I can't handle the way Safiya speaks (I mean that literally, not the content of what she says). I refuse to believe that's her actual speaking voice, so I don't feel bad making fun of it.

It's so fake and controlled, she overemphasizes each word, and she intentionally slows down the pace to the point where it's almost awkward. She's like a broadcast journalist who took a tranquilizer. In the beginning, I thought she was doing that to alleviate nerves and sound more confident and was ill-advised to do that (like how people tell kids to do that during a powerpoint presentation at school). But now I just think she believes that whatever she has to say is just so important and so intelligent that she needs to overemphasize everything so that her brilliance can shine through into our plebeian heads. :rolleyes:

It was tolerable at Buzzfeed, but it progressively got worse over the years. Tbh I forgot about her vids for a while, and clicked on one of her vids and it was so annoying I clicked out of the vid.

Last edited:

D_Wills

VIP Member
Crusty 😿

That was the perfect little send off for him. Safs videos are always so well thought out, informative and cover everything.

Reactions: 8

Theodore

VIP Member
I think they’re over sensitive to viewers criticism and therefore try to create perfect content so that people don’t find reason to fault it. An impossible aspiration obviously but you only need to see how they react to the chat when they’re doing live streams. She’s more concerned about what people are saying than presenting the topic. I hoped that the idea of the live streams where they can’t control everything was supposed to help them loosen up a bit, but it doesn’t seem to be working.

Reactions: 8

oshare

VIP Member
Oh guys I know this is a rave thread but how many more melting videos are we going to get?

• Haha
Reactions: 7

Italy2

Chatty Member
What do you guys think of all the waste she produces from her videos? I don't understand how anyone can find such wasteful consumption entertaining or funny as content?

SkinkaareFan

VIP Member
Maybe I'm naive but why on earth does it take literally weeks for them to edit a video? They even have an assistant (2 assistants maybe??). Like I get the videos have good production values but I'm almost certain the audience would forgo some of that for more frequent videos.
I don't get it either. She puts alot of unnecessary stuff in her videos too, like a lot of history, sometimes for no reason basically to pad out the video. I'd rather see a 15 minute well edited video than 45 minutes of the history of the world and everything in it..

Who the hell knows? Bugs me because Saf genuinely is my favourite youtuber, I love the effort and detail that goes in to their videos. Compared to the average UK youtuber they are brilliant. Just wish it was a least a couple of uploads a month!
To add to my previous post, I love that she puts effort into her videos and it's not just any old shit uploaded to get money but sometimes she doesn't need to go so deep with the history of things.

D_Wills

VIP Member
I love Saf, my absolute fave. But it does bother me that there is sooo long between videos. Like, this is your job, why is it a month between videos, what else do you do!? Haha.

Apple In My Pie

VIP Member
Sorry, perhaps I should've summarised! lol!
I agree with you though, Safiya's channel hasn't ever been a continuous stream of videos, I don't see what the difference is between then and now and as harsh as it is, this whole pandemic can't just be an excuse for the lack of videos because she wasn't producing that much content beforehand either! I do feel for her if being quarantined has affected her mental health though, I didn't realise she was so isolated from both her and Tyler's family.

She reminds me a lot of Daniel Howell, reading through that post, actually. He's stopped making videos as often as he once did, because he holds himself up to this high impossible standard and then gets defeated if he films a video that isn't up to this imaginary standard. In cases like that I think umm-ing and ahh-ing over content doesn't help... you just need to rip the plaster off and go for it!