Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Gloria Rostron

VIP Member
What he's trying to fix is the cultural barriers that make a lot of non-white people give up on the idea of working in STEM industries before they even finish school because they feel the odds are against them. He wants to level the playing field. Why isn't that a good thing?
That is fine but you don't do that by making racist comments. You don't solve racism with more racism.

Reactions: 1

RJF

VIP Member
Over 86% of the population in this country are white. If anything, 65% in science and engineering suggests an under representation of white people.
No - you posted a statistic saying that 65% of people in STEM are white men.

PeteM

VIP Member
Khan playing the racist card to gain likes ignoring equality of opportunity along with the passage of time.
It's still very much a white man's world. Where exactly is this equality of opportunity you mention?

RJF

VIP Member
If there was a white mayor saying there is no good reason why 65% of people in this industry are black men or Asian men. Would that not be racist?
No. But it’s a complete hypothetical because no such industry exists.

Tangerine Cat

VIP Member
But there is no good reason why 65% of any industry is made up of white men when they account for about 40% of the population.
They account for 49%, maybe that was a typo on your part. So, little more than 1/6th of the overall figure above at 65%. Hardly terrible.

I'm surprised Khan didn’t mention the NHS instead but that’s because Asian people outnumber black people and he only wants to poke his fingers at white people doesn’t he?

B64D8CE2-9917-4B97-87D9-D5691A6A9DFB.jpeg

Gloria Rostron

VIP Member
No. But it’s a complete hypothetical because no such industry exists.
It still proves my point that Sadiq Khan is a racist. Read the comments below his Tweet, Abi Roberts and other well known faces on Twitter say it's racist. It's not just me.

PeteM

VIP Member
Right wing losers who appear regularly on GB News saying he's racist. What a shock.

Glortard

VIP Member
Why has the conversation moved from the gender of ethnic makeup of people working in STEM (what Sadiq Khan was talking about) to the number of Asian students applying to universities (what Sadiq Khan was not talking about)?
Wild guess because it reinforces the deliberate ignorance of him showing that more ethnic minorities are entering STEM in the last 10 plus years and the reason 65% are white are historical, In the first census in 1991 where ethnicity was asked 94.65% of the population identified as White so if you where going to university then it would have been overwhelmingly white people who would have entered STEM fields and now be late 40s/early 50s

bubbadabut

VIP Member
I don't live anywhere near London, so he's generally off my radar, but when I do see him, he always reminds me of a Brussells sprout. His head is peculiarly round and sprout-like. If sprouts were people, they'd look like him, I think.

• Haha

Gloria Rostron

VIP Member
Come on, Gloria, you know that's not what he said. He's asking why 65% of STEM jobs are filled by people from one specific demographic (white men), and trying to level the field so more women and non-white people get some of those jobs. I don't see why that's racist, or indeed problematic in any way.
So why didn't he say he wants to ensure black and Asian people don't face any barriers in getting work in Science then? Why did he feel the need to chastice another race because of the success they have had?

He is either slap dash and clumsy or plain racist.

Remember he said there is NO good reason for that group of people to be working in the industry.

PeteM

VIP Member
Re the Equality Act, that doesn't translate to how the real world works. Do you really think that the moment that act was passed, equality issues were all solved?