Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

ThePelican

How is it not racist to say there is no good reason why a demographic of people should be working in a certain industry?
Come on, Gloria, you know that's not what he said. He's asking why 65% of STEM jobs are filled by people from one specific demographic (white men), and trying to level the field so more women and non-white people get some of those jobs. I don't see why that's racist, or indeed problematic in any way.

Reactions: 3

RJF

VIP Member
He said there is no good reason why white people should have jobs in science and engineering and that he is "fixing" it.

Racist. If you can't see that, then you are a racism denialist.
He didn’t say that the white people who currently work in STEM should lose their jobs. Nor did he say that no white people should ever be hired in STEM

He said that the proportion of individuals working in the sector should reflect the population at large. That’s how percentages work.

emm

VIP Member
Over 86% of the population in this country are white. If anything, 65% in science and engineering suggests an under representation of white people.
But 65% are white men, not white people, meaning women are also hugely underrepresented

JulesyEire

Chatty Member
I lived in London took way too much risks!! Especially at night!! Walking back half pissed to where I was living at 3 in the morning!! Didn’t find it scary!! I think really it’s a lot of luck, being very street savay!! I used to the same in Dublin and these areas are rough, it’s just takes being in the wrong place at the wrong time!! That’s why if anything happened to me crossing fingers it doesn’t it’s my responsibility because I shouldn’t have put my self in that position!! I should being with someone or in a taxi!!

• Heart

ThePelican

No, it several months ago. You may find results for Sadiq Khan Racist I suppose? That would be great.
I Googled "Sadiq Khan racist tweet" and every result pertained to the racism he's encountered himself - tweets that call him a "muzzie t*rror*st," for example. I can't find anything at all where he says white people shouldn't have good jobs. So...well...there we are.

If you do happen to find the link, please post it.

Facehugger

VIP Member
You're spot on, it is a very rare tragedy, thankfully. Perpetrated by someone (allegedly) in a position of trust to protect the public! It could have happened anywhere if such a menace was in the vicinity, not just London.

• Heart

Glortard

VIP Member
He didn’t say that the white people who currently work in STEM should lose their jobs. Nor did he say that no white people should ever be hired in STEM

He said that the proportion of individuals working in the sector should reflect the population at large. That’s how percentages work.
Khan playing the racist card to gain likes ignoring equality of opportunity along with the passage of time.

• Heart

PeteM

VIP Member
And Calvin Robinson is a complete and utter bellend.
---

Over 86% of the population in this country are white. If anything, 65% in science and engineering suggests an under representation of white people.
My heart bleeds for the 21% not being represented.

• Angry
Reactions: 2

Mark81

VIP Member
Chinese students are very easy to explain. Money. China is big money to universities, they actively pursue them and whole courses nearly fell apart when covid hit because Chinese students wouldn't be able to get here, and there are courses that rely on them completely. They can't really be compared to other demographics. They can afford the very high international fees and aren't the same as British born students of different ethnic backgrounds.

It's interesting because there really aren't barriers stopping a particular race or gender getting into university but some courses just don't seem to appeal to certain demographics. Is it an awareness/marketing issue maybe. But is there an issue after uni when it comes to getting a job? Is there a perceived issue at industry level That I don't know. As I mentioned it's often more socioeconomic and how disadvantaged someones situation is rather than pure race on its own. There is a cultural issue sometimes as some cultures don't see worth in certain subjects so parents ban their kids from doing them and push them into other subjects, but STEM wouldn't really fall into that category usually. STEM, Law and Medicine tend to be the gold standard courses.

Back to his original tweet, it was poorly worded but so is majority of things on twitter. You can't just look at a percentage and get outraged, you need to look in depth and find out why.

Last edited:

Glortard

VIP Member
What he's trying to fix is the cultural barriers that make a lot of non-white people give up on the idea of working in STEM industries before they even finish school because they feel the odds are against them. He wants to level the playing field. Why isn't that a good thing?
What cultural barriers are they? Since 2006 UCAS has tracked entry into university and whilst white applicants have increased but so have every other ethnic minority to the point that if you are white you are less likely to go to university than any other ethnic group. The Royal Society had recently highlighted the lack of black people in STEM especially at a senior level and right away people where out with their pitchforks and placards.

However what they never bothered to discuss is why other ethnic minorities are over represented in STEM fields. In 2021 72.1 of Chinese 18 year olds where accepted to higher education and you can bet that the majority are applying for STEM fields with very few applying for gender studies courses. Clearly there are no cultural barriers for Chinese or Asian applicants....why is that?
---

Having worked in universities he has missed out a key underrepresented demographic, white men from underprivileged backgrounds. They are often the biggest demographic that don't receive the same opportunities (and there are official stats to prove that)

There are subjects and industries that don't receive a variety of applications in terms of demographic. That's not for the want of trying, unis actively outreach to schools and colleges etc to try and encourage wider demographics (especially girls) to be interested in engineering and technology subjects. Race wise they are open to all, with some subjects receiving higher applications from perceived minority backgrounds.

I think its more to do with cultural backgrounds, current pop culture of what's seen as trendy, and socio economic issues that stop people applying for certain things. And as for the industries themselves, do graduates stay in the country or do the work abroad, something common especially in engineering.

As usual with twitter, it is completely devoid of context.
Here is the STATS here and I remember when munroe bergdorf the moronic racist was presented with them he went off in a tangent about mental health and history books.

• Heart

Gloria Rostron

VIP Member
Re the Equality Act, that doesn't translate to how the real world works. Do you really think that the moment that act was passed, equality issues were all solved?
In the past 12 years, we have had male Prime Ministers, female Prime Ministers, white Prime Ministers, an Indian ancestral Prime Minister, a black Treasury Secretary. Seems like equal opportunities to me. But my friend's son who was told he can't work in management in the army because he is white would agree that the Equality Act doesn't protect him from the discrimination he sadly faces.

RJF

VIP Member
Why has the conversation moved from the gender of ethnic makeup of people working in STEM (what Sadiq Khan was talking about) to the number of Asian students applying to universities (what Sadiq Khan was not talking about)?

Reactions: 1