Russell Brand

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've just finished dispatches.
I've always thought he was gross, but I feel disgusted after watching that and listening to the victims.
He's a narcissist of the highest order.
I was also truly disgusted and really bleeping angry about the way he's spoken about women on radio and stand up shows. I've just been shouting at my husband about why men think it's acceptable to talk about women in that manner, it's not funny?? And why did the bbc and channel 4 etc allow that sort of tit to be aired. Horrible, vile man, I stand with the victims.

Here's your friendly reminder, only something ridiculous like 3% of rapes reported (of which, very few are even reported btw) are fake.
Sending love to anyone triggered tonight 💓

• Heart
Reactions: 36
Have they gone to the police?
Do you have to have gone to the police to have been assaulted? Is that a requirement?

What good does that do apart from drag you through a very traumatic process where you are highly unlikely to get justice?

• Heart
Reactions: 54
I’m not even a mad fan of Russell but so far I think this is a very weak expose? Using old footage of his self confessed risqué past out of context is a bit low hanging fruit tbh. The piece about him urinating in a bottle.. who cares? Obviously if he forced himself on anyone that is appalling, but have any of these women actually gone to the police? I’m not sure how comfortable I am with this new this new thing of destroying someone’s life publicly through the media when there are courts and a justice system set up for that purpose. A lot of the old footage that they have now used against him was Russel owning who he is and being upfront about his past. It’s a bit unfair and convenient to be used in another context against him
I mean, they've outed him as (allegedly) a groomer and a rapist who was abusing his power and his status for years but has also been silencing those who speak out. And they also shown that the media industry has allowed this to happen by not challenging behaviour that would get most people fired and blacklisted from the industry.

It's called 'In Plain Sight' for a reason. Fact is, there were warning signs of his nature for years and if he hadn't been allowed to keep falling upwards after every disgrace, maybe some of these women's experiences could have been prevented 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: 45
Today I have learnt that many believe if someone has sex without valid consent, even if force or violence is used, it is only classed as rape WHEN the police are told and a conviction has occurred. Until that point it is valid joke fodder and not even a big deal.
Jeesus christ. I think I've had enough internet today
Also, apparently being a vile misogynist is ok, as long as you✨ own it✨and even mention it in your book!

• Angry
  • Heart
Reactions: 49
Today I have learnt that many believe if someone has sex without valid consent, even if force or violence is used, it is only classed as rape WHEN the police are told and a conviction has occurred. Until that point it is valid joke fodder and not even a big deal.
Jeesus christ. I think I've had enough internet today
Me too, and then people wonder why women don't go to the police.

Reactions: 21
What percentage of hetero western men are like this (rapey or potentially rapey), do we think? Totally unscientific - I’d love to hear your thoughts. My husband said he thinks it’s approx 30%, and I’d be horrified if I heard what men say when women aren’t there. It’s why he hates hanging out at “men only” type things (stags etc).
Interestingly as I watched this, it brought memories of my own sexual encounters from those times, that are very alike. And it’s only now I am older and the sex narrative has changed that I realise things that happened were wrong. I was raped at 16 but didn’t even realise what happened to me was rape until I was 28.

• Heart
Reactions: 49
Do you have to have gone to the police to have been assaulted? Is that a requirement?

What good does that do apart from drag you through a very traumatic process where you are highly unlikely to get justice?
Okay so we can just bypass the judicial system now and go straight to exposing people on social media without giving them any chance of a defence or retort and use any footage we please out of context to back up our claims? Cool! I’m sure you’d be more than cool with this too if this happened to you or a loved one.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 17
I’m not even a mad fan of Russell but so far I think this is a very weak expose? Using old footage of his self confessed risqué past out of context is a bit low hanging fruit tbh. The piece about him urinating in a bottle.. who cares? Obviously if he forced himself on anyone that is appalling, but have any of these women actually gone to the police? I’m not sure how comfortable I am with this new this new thing of destroying someone’s life publicly through the media when there are courts and a justice system set up for that purpose. A lot of the old footage that they have now used against him was Russel owning who he is and being upfront about his past. It’s a bit unfair and convenient to be used in another context against him
Yeah I agree I don't know what I was expecting but I expected more for the hype built around it and the extended run time.

The stories are horrible and I completely believe the women, but I feel they've been let down by this exposé. I don't think some of the selective editing helped. Something this awful doesn't need added manipulation by editing.

Channel 4 didn't come out of it well, nor did the bbc and neither did we 'society'. It really showed how everyone enabled him back then, including the public.

With the email address at the end it felt like the programme was more a call to arms, which maybe it is. Maybe it's to get more women to come forward and get him charged.

Reactions: 16
Even in a court of law people are called as character witnesses to paint a picture of who the accused is and how plausible it is that they're capable of committing the crime.

If C4 didn't include it, people would have pulled up clips of it anyway.

And is it irrelevant or was he using his imperfect behaviour as a cover for how bad he truly was? The programme was called "hiding in plain sight" after all.

One of his "jokes" mirrored the assault he's alleged of committing on the 16 year old.

Reactions: 16
At least 50% I’d argue. And it’s depressing and tit. I think it was much worse back then, I remember laughing at his comedy back then altho I was in my late teens early twenties. I would also laugh along with male friends who made similar jokes and worked in a similar culture where women tended to laugh along with guys (at least in public). I’m not saying it was right but it was a different time.
it was really jarring for me and my husband watching this (as two thirty-somethings now) seeing and remembering how completely different the culture was in the 00s when we were teens, and what was normal and acceptable, versus now.

Reactions: 36

Exactly, has anyone seen the rape convictions statistics recently? And those are the ones that make it to court.

"Have you gone to the police though?" Is such a thicko response.

Reactions: 41
Yeah I agree I don't know what I was expecting but I expected more for the hype built around it and the extended run time.

The stories are horrible and I completely believe the women, but I feel they've been let down by this exposé. I don't think some of the selective editing helped. Something this awful doesn't need added manipulation by editing.

With the email address at the end it felt like the programme was more a call to arms, which maybe it is. Maybe it's to get more women to come forward and get him charged.
Maybe. He didn’t do anything with me that was non consensual but I was under 18 and would happily tell my story to them if I thought it might help other women… if that makes sense.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Okay so we can just bypass the judicial system now and go straight to exposing people on social media without giving them any chance of a defence or retort and use any footage we please out of context to back up our claims? Cool! I’m sure you’d be more than cool with this too if this happened to you or a loved one.
This is the road we’re going down and people are cheering for it. It’s very dangerous. And because the issue is extremely emotive it is easy for people to miss how dangerous it is. My experiences with an ex partner mirror a lot of what was reported in the documentary incase anyone thinks I don’t believe the women.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I think a lot of the stuff we already knew could of been cut down and spent more time on actions that we don’t know about etc, I think the documentary was poorly put together considering C4 have been working on this for a year, not blaming the women but C4.

I can’t believe only 1 comedian spoke out considering it sounds like everyone’s aware of this behaviour 🤯

I hope the woman are okay and can heal ❤

Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.