Russell Brand

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Yeah - a massive massive trigger warning for anyone who reads the court documents (the closing statement? Or whatever it’s called, a .pdf on a gov website basically) - I stupidly read it at my desk at work and it induced a panic attack it was SO bad.
I read that too, and I really wish I hadn’t. It affected me very deeply and I wish I didn’t know what I now know about it all.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Trying to get my head round this. I need to have a read up and watch the Dispatches programme but can't say I'm surprised. The only thing that doesn't make sense to me is why the police haven't been involved so off.to do some reading to catch up. Never liked this bloke since that phone call to I think Andrew Sachs granddaughter a lot of years ago.
Ultimately it's the victims' choice to pursue a court case. But be aware thar it can also depend on whether the Crown Prosecution services deem there to be chance of prosecution. Horribly often the police/CPS take No Further Action if they effectively don't think there's a realistic chance that they'll win.

In my work, I see so often where you'll have the victim report to the police, give an incredibly detailed statement and be willing to go to court, yet it still ends up as NFA due to 'evidential difficulties' because it boils down to one word against another. :(

• Sad
Reactions: 14
Sadly the conviction rate for sexual assault and rape is so low and the attitude from police officers and the judicial system is so insensitive that the non legal route feels easier and more effective.

Look at Mason Greenwood. There was actual photographic, text and audio evidence, he went to trial and is a free man today.

It's not as straightforward as telling rape and abuse victims to "just go to the police". Many of them already tried that.
Mason Greenwood didn’t go to trial. Rightly or wrongly, his girlfriend withdrew her allegation, and there was insufficient evidence to take it to trial

Reactions: 8
I find it fascinating that Channel 4 are airing something that airs them out. If it's purely to take down a rapist then fair enough, but I can't help but feel this isn't 100% due to that.

Russell Brand's a nonce either way.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Some of his victims took it to the media companies/the people around him and nothing was done so I imagine it would have been hard to gather up the courage to report it again but this time to the authorities.

(For people wondering why nothing was said or done sooner.)

Reactions: 12
It's much, much worse than that . He and a partner were discussing having a child to abuse them. I feel sick typing it tbh
Oh don’t worry, I wasn’t underplaying his crimes, I didn’t know the ins and outs and that was my basic remembering.

Reactions: 2
Nope.. Barrymore was sticking up for him earlier...
Omg who needs enemies with “friends” like that ey! What a shining endorsement of personal conduct!!

Something that really concerns me is all that will inevitably come out about how he used recovery spaces to find victims. Sadly there was one in the Times article already, but she won’t be the only.

• Sad
Reactions: 15
Trying to secure a conviction of rape especially after many years is very difficult. Would be too much stress for most people, not to mention cost.

Reactions: 20
Mason Greenwood didn’t go to trial. Rightly or wrongly, his girlfriend withdrew her allegation, and there was insufficient evidence to take it to trial
He also got her pregnant while he was meant to be staying away from her which helps to stop her speaking out

• Angry
Reactions: 12
Oh don’t worry, I wasn’t underplaying his crimes, I didn’t know the ins and outs and that was my basic remembering.
Sorry didn't mean to criticise you just incase they googled it...

Reactions: 1
The stories from the junior runners aren’t assault - it’s highly inappropriate but clearly they were all at it during that time. I think it was that industry (or so many industries tbh: media etc) during that era. So the narrative there is more about that, not specifically Russell.

Obviously the woman in LA is different.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.