Recipes and "go to" dishes

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hello everyone, sorry if there's a thread on similar already but I couldn't see one.

One of my resolutions for this year is to continue cooking more from scratch, and I'm in a bit of a rut with cooking the same two soups, and the same dozen or so mains. I think we can safely say I've perfected them now, but the friends who regularly come for tea are probably going to tire of the same things on a 12 week rotation 😂

I'm not a massive fan of following a cook book, so I wondered what are YOUR go to meals to cook at home and are you willing to share your recipes?

They don't have to be healthy or anything like that but it's more about what you enjoy cooking really.

Reactions: 8
Got this from the co-op magazine a few years ago. I make double of this and freeze it, have one a week. Started adding in pearl barley too which gives it more texture.

Also I love this
(But I don't use the sweet potato and mango, I swap that for chickpeas and pineapple)

Obviously they're no good if you don't like curry lol.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
One of my resolutions for this year is to continue cooking more from scratch, and I'm in a bit of a rut with cooking the same two soups, and the same dozen or so mains.
I am going a bit off piste and suggest having a look at the subscriptions on thespicery.com where they send you the spices and you cook something delicious from scratch. They have enriched my cooking so much.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
My absolute favourite is Delia Smith's Carbonara.
It's been a staple for twenty odd years.

Reactions: 3
I am going a bit off piste and suggest having a look at the subscriptions on thespicery.com where they send you the spices and you cook something delicious from scratch. They have enriched my cooking so much.
I had gousto for a while, and really enjoyed that. Its really what got me into enjoying cooking if I'm honest. I'll have a look at that site and see if there's anything that tickles my fancy! Thank you!

I pretty much always cook from scratch and have done for years. I’m always on the lookout for more recipes but here are a few I’ve used more than once.

I‘ve also used Gousto and Green Chef a lot so have quite a few recipe cards from them.

Hello everyone, sorry if there's a thread on similar already but I couldn't see one.

One of my resolutions for this year is to continue cooking more from scratch, and I'm in a bit of a rut with cooking the same two soups, and the same dozen or so mains. I think we can safely say I've perfected them now, but the friends who regularly come for tea are probably going to tire of the same things on a 12 week rotation 😂

I'm not a massive fan of following a cook book, so I wondered what are YOUR go to meals to cook at home and are you willing to share your recipes?

They don't have to be healthy or anything like that but it's more about what you enjoy cooking really.
So glad to see this on here. I am currently reading a book by a farmers wife and she details store cupboard essentials, "meals you should never feel guilty about"and there are recipes also.
She fits your ethos so I could photograph them if you like and attach them on here.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
So glad to see this on here. I am currently reading a book by a farmers wife and she details store cupboard essentials, "meals you should never feel guilty about"and there are recipes also.
She fits your ethos so I could photograph them if you like and attach them on here.
That would be amazing, thank you so much!

I'm curious to hear what the book is, is it an autobiography of sorts?

I definitely like to hear what others enjoy cooking regularly. A favourite dinner conversation starter is definitely "what would you cook for people who visit".

That would be amazing, thank you so much!

I'm curious to hear what the book is, is it an autobiography of sorts?

I definitely like to hear what others enjoy cooking regularly. A favourite dinner conversation starter is definitely "what would you cook for people who visit".
By Helen Rebanks called The Farmer's Wife My Life in Days.
It reads like an autobiography with recipes etc inserted as they happened in her life. Here's the blurb on the back and yes I too had a little cry 😁

IMG_20240112_230309.jpg

I feel like I should have Brownie points as her store cupboard essentials list reads like my cupboards.
An older lady at work gave me lots of advice about cooking and freezing food. Especially about deconstructing dishes, which I've mentioned before on Tattle e.g. apple crumble - make a batch of crumble and store in the freezer in a Ziploc bag. Stew baking apples in the microwave in a little water, then add sugar and separate out into individual pots in the freezer. Then if you ever fancy apple crumble get a pot of apples out, shake some crumble on top and shove in the airfryer for 15 to 20 minutes. 😋😋

• Heart
By Helen Rebanks called The Farmer's Wife My Life in Days.
It reads like an autobiography with recipes etc inserted as they happened in her life. Here's the blurb on the back and yes I too had a little cry 😁

View attachment 2685628
I feel like I should have Brownie points as her store cupboard essentials list reads like my cupboards.
An older lady at work gave me lots of advice about cooking and freezing food. Especially about deconstructing dishes, which I've mentioned before on Tattle e.g. apple crumble - make a batch of crumble and store in the freezer in a Ziploc bag. Stew baking apples in the microwave in a little water, then add sugar and separate out into individual pots in the freezer. Then if you ever fancy apple crumble get a pot of apples out, shake some crumble on top and shove in the airfryer for 15 to 20 minutes. 😋😋
Oh that sounds like quite an interesting book too, I'll have to look into that!

I've got a lot better over the years with being an "ingredient household" and do have a decently stocked cupboard now - I cook more from scratch now than I ever have but it's building my confidence up with different dishes. I've got spices in there I'd never even heard of years ago!

Some things I used to look at as being complicated aren't even remotely. For example I always felt like making cheesecake was more difficult than it is. I made my first one last year (it was amazing if I can be so modest) and the whole time I was thinking I must be doing it wrong because it wasn't difficult at all! So for me it was getting out of the mindset of that.

I do still struggle with making a roux for some reason, but practicing makes perfect!

My downfall is not having a freezer sadly, so it's not just trying new things it's making them in such a way I can have a portion or two as I can't batch cook, or rather I could it would just go to waste 🤣

I definitely enjoy being in the kitchen more now, and like to try new things.

I grew up in a household where my mum was (and still is) a great cook but she wasn't very adventurous. It took me until adulthood to understand steak didn't have to be well done (I like it rare now!). Whereas I want to explore a bit more.

It's only taken to my mid 30s, but better late than never and all that!

Reactions: 1
Oh that sounds like quite an interesting book too, I'll have to look into that!

I've got a lot better over the years with being an "ingredient household" and do have a decently stocked cupboard now - I cook more from scratch now than I ever have but it's building my confidence up with different dishes. I've got spices in there I'd never even heard of years ago!

Some things I used to look at as being complicated aren't even remotely. For example I always felt like making cheesecake was more difficult than it is. I made my first one last year (it was amazing if I can be so modest) and the whole time I was thinking I must be doing it wrong because it wasn't difficult at all! So for me it was getting out of the mindset of that.

I do still struggle with making a roux for some reason, but practicing makes perfect!

My downfall is not having a freezer sadly, so it's not just trying new things it's making them in such a way I can have a portion or two as I can't batch cook, or rather I could it would just go to waste 🤣

I definitely enjoy being in the kitchen more now, and like to try new things.

I grew up in a household where my mum was (and still is) a great cook but she wasn't very adventurous. It took me until adulthood to understand steak didn't have to be well done (I like it rare now!). Whereas I want to explore a bit more.

It's only taken to my mid 30s, but better late than never and all that!
I ordered the book from the library. It was published last year. I've had to wait a few months for it as other people got there first. 😁
I bought a book for recipes for £5 from The Works and I'm going to put my most favourite recipes in it. 😋

I ordered the book from the library. It was published last year. I've had to wait a few months for it as other people got there first. 😁
I bought a book for recipes for £5 from The Works and I'm going to put my most favourite recipes in it. 😋
I've got a TBR list as long as both of my arms so maybe if I put my name down now I'll be ready for it by the time my library have it 😂

A recipe book is on my "to purchase" list too, but I have a feeling I may get one as a gift as I mentioned this in passing to my bestie and she's very good at remembering passing comments. We've not swapped Xmas gifts yet (life doesn't half get in the way doesn't it!), so I'm waiting to see what I get from her first! It would be typical of my luck to go and buy one and her to then gift me one!

My mum still has the same wee hardcover notebook she's had since I was a kid! It's served her well!

I'm also debating buying myself a nice apron, but I don't know if thats just taking the idea of domestic goddess too far 😂

IMG_20240113_160537.jpg
IMG_20240113_160552.jpg
IMG_20240113_160601.jpg
IMG_20240113_160614.jpg
IMG_20240113_160624.jpg
IMG_20240113_160640.jpg
IMG_20240113_160648.jpg
IMG_20240113_162429.jpg

---
The book is absolutely packed with recipes and hints and tips, so if you like this I would say just buy the book. Paperback version is coming out next month. I'm going to look out for it and decide whether to go for that or hardback. The autobiography is great also.
These recipes have been used in a cafe, hospital etc. she's had quite an interesting life.

Last edited:
  • Heart
I missed these two comments! Definitely a shout buying the book; it sounds really interesting, thank you. I love biographical books.

My brother keeps sending me links to random restaurants around the country, seems like we're going on a road trip to gain two stone :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
I missed these two comments! Definitely a shout buying the book; it sounds really interesting, thank you. I love biographical books.

My brother keeps sending me links to random restaurants around the country, seems like we're going on a road trip to gain two stone :ROFLMAO:
If I tell you I was prancing like a pony at the window when the delivery van arrived with my own personal copy, you'll know how much I like this book. 😁
Have watched this couple on You Tube also, as Tattlers told me about her husband.
She (Helen Rebanks) comes across as someone with the right ideas regarding what the UK needs.