Real Life Crime and Murder #19

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
For anyone who cannot read Barney’s mom letter here it is in full

Despite repeated requests to address you privately and anonymously as a group; I have been denied the opportunity and therefore have decided to write this publicly.
This letter is addressed to the WhatsApp group of police officers who discussed the attack on my son and his friend Grace on the 13th June.
As Barney’s Mum, it’s so important that you ‘hear my voice’ about the nature of how some of you within your group chose to address the brutal murder of my son.
There is little point in writing a tirade about my hurt, anger and disgust at the wording you used. That goes without saying. All I ask is that you stop for a moment to read the following.
I know you are police officers, but you are also human beings, and very likely that a number of you are parents as well.
Given this, the callous, degrading and desensitised manner of your comments have caused more trauma than you can imagine.
When you say ‘a couple of students have been proper butchered’ did you stop to think about the absolute terror that they felt in the moment when they were ambushed and repeatedly stabbed by a man who had planned his attack and lay waiting in the shadows for them.
When you say ‘innards out and everything’ did you think about the agony they felt and the final thoughts that went through their minds as this vicious individual inflicted wounds so serious that they had no chance of surviving.
Did you relate the excited urgency in your message of spreading ‘big news’ and preparing for a busy shift that countless lives had been destroyed forever.
Barney was 19. The trousers he was wearing were given to him, by me, for his last ever birthday, which was the 19th January.
The t-shirt he was wearing was his younger brother’s. Barney had given it to him for what would be his last ever Christmas with us in December 2022. He liked his gift to his brother so much he ‘borrowed’ it to take back to university.
In his last moments on this earth; those are the clothes that Barney was wearing. Take a moment to think about those clothes, on my son, when you refer to him as a slain animal.
The very last time I ironed clothes for him was to dress him for his funeral. For that he wore his favourite pink shirt, chinos and his Nottingham Uni cricket tie. Just so you know!
Every day I walk past my beautiful boy’s bedroom and I see his drawers and wardrobe full of clothes, his shoes where he last left them and countless photos, bits and bobs bought on holidays over the years. Also the calendar on his wall that will never go beyond June 2023.
My son (and all those who lost their lives at the hands of Valdo Calocane) were people. Decent, kind, funny, real human beings who had a right to their lives, who had so many plans for the future.
I have the utmost respect for all the professionals who work so hard within our emergency services; and fully understand how hard the job must be. I thank god daily for all of these decent dedicated people who keep us safe, protected and alive.
However, anyone who can witness the details of such a horror as happened in the early hours of the 14th June 2023; and refer to lost children as butchered animals; should seriously consider their position.
We have been denied knowledge of how many officers were in this group. We do know of the one officer who was so publicly named and disciplined, however we also know that he did not write the message. He unwisely chose to share it.
So, to the author of that message, who we understand has received a management warning, I pray you will read this and pause for a while. Dig a little deeper for compassion and care. Show the respect in the future that you did not afford Barney.
My aim is not to cause undue shame, or to have anyone publicly vilified; there’s no need to add yet more pain; I just hope that by reaching out to educate and explain, my voice might make a difference.
If you feel able and wish to make contact know that you can and it will be kept fully private. I have written this open letter only because of the actions of your Chief Constable and her senior leadership team.
Emma Webber (proud Mum of Barnaby Philip John Webber)

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 41

This is nuts
View attachment 2898708
I worked in the same school as her (not the school she was at when she did this). She always seemed pleasant enough and she did talk about having relationship problems with him. But it goes to show that you never really know people and what they’re capable of.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 27
I worked in the same school as her (not the school she was at when she did this). She always seemed pleasant enough and she did talk about having relationship problems with him. But it goes to show that you never really know people and what they’re capable of.
i met the deceased and have a very good friend that knew them,he was awful to her and was not a nice person
when i met him he was very full of himself

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 17
i met the deceased and have a very good friend that knew them,he was awful to her and was not a nice person
I think what is uncomfortable about this case is the after actions, so the burying. If she'd just stabbed him and then reached for help, given there seems to be a fair bit of evidence that he was very abusive, she may have escaped a prison sentence.

There's a missing link somewhere for women who are so badly abused that they lash out but the build up happens slowly. I don't think something should be changed legally though because people (men) need to be protected as well. Also, there seems to be a lot missing in the reporting of this case. The sentencing reports might make it clearer.

• Sad
Reactions: 21
I think what is uncomfortable about this case is the after actions, so the burying. If she'd just stabbed him and then reached for help, given there seems to be a fair bit of evidence that he was very abusive, she may have escaped a prison sentence.

There's a missing link somewhere for women who are so badly abused that they lash out but the build up happens slowly. I don't think something should be changed legally though because people (men) need to be protected as well. Also, there seems to be a lot missing in the reporting of this case. The sentencing reports might make it clearer.
I don't buy the abuse claim and she probably saw it as a way of getting a light sentence. "Oh, he abused me" is often used as a get out of jail free card but clearly wasn't going to wash in this case, so that's why she 'fessed up in an attempt to prevent spending the rest of her life in jail. I hope the judge throws the book at her.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I don't buy the abuse claim and she probably saw it as a way of getting a light sentence. "Oh, he abused me" is often used as a get out of jail free card but clearly wasn't going to wash in this case, so that's why she 'fessed up in an attempt to prevent spending the rest of her life in jail. I hope the judge throws the book at her.
those that knew them knew about the affairs,child by his mistress even his stupidly high standards he expected in resturants/shops etc god only knows his standards in doors,i wish she had reported as soon as it happened and deep down she must of known that it would be found out

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
It seems to have played a factor in the mistrial.
One wonders what role cannabis played.

Reactions: 1
I can absolutely believe that and I also believe the mental health side of things as it was something she struggled with when I worked with her.

But she also planned this, took steps to cover up what she did, that’s not the actions of someone who snapped and acted out of defence.

• Sad
Reactions: 13
The bit that gets me is that she probably wouldn’t have been found out for much longer if she didn’t end up having a nervous breakdown and confessed in her notebooks.

Reactions: 5
Nor me.

The main thing that really pisses me off about this case and the news coverage is the attention mainly being on Barnaby and Grace and their families whilst Ian Coates always seems to be an afterthought. Don't get me wrong, the whole thing is tragic and 2 youngsters cut down in their prime is heinous, but he was also a human being with a family and relatively young. Boils my piss and I find it very disrespectful tbh.
There’s an article in the Mail today about him.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 11

I had similar concerns about Sally Challoner's case. Clearly I'm not a psychologist nor a psychiatrist but she, after years of abuse, murdered her husband in cold blood. She says she had no thought of murdering him when she went to see him, but she took a hammer in her handbag, so there was something going on! TBF I don't blame her at all. He was a disgusting individual by all accounts. But it still left me feeling uneasy.

Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.