Random Midnight Thoughts #1 Maybe you have my answer

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Why do we (UK) turn the clocks back to give us "extra daylight"? This illusion only works for one day (the day that the clocks are turned back), there are still the same amount of hours in a day, and the sun doesn't shine for any longer, if anything, daylight hours reduce at this time of year. It really annoys me, I rant about it every single year!
So that us poor Sods in the North see some sliver of daylight before we reach the office in the winter....

Nah it's actually so we make better use of day light in summer so energy is saved by having it lighter in til later. During WWII there was double BST when we went forward 2 hours so we didn't need to use as much energy for lighting. I think it only really has happened once people started working to clock time rather then how dark/light it is.

It happens in all of Europe except maybe Norway or Iceland. Somewhere very far north anyway where the sun barely rises in winter or sets in summer. I have a friend who lived in Kiruna as part of his job and he said the winters are really really hard as it's just gloomy all the time except mid December to Jan when it's just totally dark. Makes me glad for a 8.30 am sunrise and 4pm sunset!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
Why do we (UK) turn the clocks back to give us "extra daylight"? This illusion only works for one day (the day that the clocks are turned back), there are still the same amount of hours in a day, and the sun doesn't shine for any longer, if anything, daylight hours reduce at this time of year. It really annoys me, I rant about it every single year!
Isn't the winter one, gmt, the 'correct ' time and the summer one when the clocks go forward the altered one?

Reactions: 1
Why in the UK are short womens clothing ranges called petite, instead of short or small. The tall range is just called tall and isn't in french

Why in the UK are short womens clothing ranges called petite, instead of short or small. The tall range is just called tall and isn't in french
Because you have both petite and short here. River Island for example will do jeans in Short, Regular and Long but then have a seperate section for Petite.

Reactions: 1