Puppies

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Sorry I haven't replied back sooner, it's been really hard for me, the meet didn't go well, every dog i've ever had I've kept, but to re-home puppy, and they have treated us like tit, has been soo hard, it's the not knowing how he is, what he looks like, all my other dogs are buried here, and also to know I can't have another dog whilst I got the one the I have, who is such a lovely boy, but I've always had 2 dogs, the puppy months aren't that bad, stick with it, it's only temporary!
Oh Maid I am so sorry. This sounds so hard. Take care of yourself x

• Heart
Reactions: 1
How are everyone’s pups getting on anyway guys? We’ve came on leaps and bounds now. Pup is 17 weeks old, I had a wobble a few weeks ago which I posted about, but now we’re actually doing amazing.

Reactions: 2
Our pup is 10 months old and she has been great, we thought we were progressing well then she chewed a hole in a wall while I was on the loo yesterday :oops::ROFLMAO: easy repair thankfully but think we have been lulled into a false sense of security during adolescence!

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Sorry I haven't replied back sooner, it's been really hard for me, the meet didn't go well, every dog i've ever had I've kept, but to re-home puppy, and they have treated us like tit, has been soo hard, it's the not knowing how he is, what he looks like, all my other dogs are buried here, and also to know I can't have another dog whilst I got the one the I have, who is such a lovely boy, but I've always had 2 dogs, the puppy months aren't that bad, stick with it, it's only temporary!
Could it be a puppy was too much for your older dog? Maybe an older rescue could work with him? You could foster and see how they go

Could it be a puppy was too much for your older dog? Maybe an older rescue could work with him? You could foster and see how they go
That's so weird,my oh said the same thing last night! I'm not in the right head space at the mo, it's been too upsetting.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I’m going on holiday for the first time since we had our pup (7 months ago). She’s going to wonderful former colleague who’s husband is a groundskeeper at a local private school in Brighton and they live on site. She’s going to have the most brilliant time but I’m absolutely devastated about leaving her for a week. 😓

I’m going on holiday for the first time since we had our pup (7 months ago). She’s going to wonderful former colleague who’s husband is a groundskeeper at a local private school in Brighton and they live on site. She’s going to have the most brilliant time but I’m absolutely devastated about leaving her for a week. 😓
Pup will have an excellent time. We've had ours stay with other people a few times, she has a blast and happy when we get back. I'm pretty sure dogs have no concept of time so will have no idea you've been gone long

Reactions: 1
The key thing to remember is you want them to be happy while you are gone, my mum used to take hers to a kennel and in the end they stopped using them as her dog hated it, would refuse to get in the car and seemed really wound up when they got back which was horrible. Now they use a really good one which is a farm and the dog isn't bothered when they come back to get him as he is having too much fun.

Hi guys,
asking for some advice again…

my auntie has a puppy, he’s about 6 months old. Every single time she takes the puppy in the car to the vet he will vomit and poo. He came back from the vets this afternoon in a total state - vomited over himself, really badly drooling and shaking, had pooped in his carrier. It seemed really off to me. The vet said (according to my auntie) the dog has a protein deficiency but is otherwise well…

The problem is… she will not, at all, feed him his puppy food. He gets everything she eats - McDonalds burgers, steak, curry, pies, KFC, even birthday cake. I have told her time and time again he needs his proper food but she doesn’t listen. He’s become very fussy and refuses to eat his puppy food so she takes that as a sign he prefers human food. Whenever he sees new people (me, the wider family etc) with food he will start begging for it.

It makes me really uncomfy to see because he just isn't right. I wish I could take him and look after him properly 🫣

Do you think if she carries on feeding him as he is and his protein gets lower he will be severely unwell? Is it normal for him to mess in his carrier like that during car trips or do you think it’s related to his diet?

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 8
Hi guys,

my auntie has a puppy, he’s about 6 months old. Every single time she takes the puppy in the car to the vet he will vomit and poo. He came back from the vets this afternoon in a total state - vomited over himself, really badly drooling and shaking, had pooped in his carrier. It seemed really off to me. The vet said (according to my auntie) the dog has a protein deficiency but is otherwise well…

The problem is… she will not, at all, feed him his puppy food. He gets everything she eats - McDonalds burgers, steak, curry, pies, KFC, even birthday cake. I have told her time and time again he needs his proper food but she doesn’t listen. He’s become very fussy and refuses to eat his puppy food so she takes that as a sign he prefers human food. Whenever he sees new people (me, the wider family etc) with food he will start begging for it.

It makes me really uncomfy to see because he just isn't right. I wish I could take him and look after him properly 🫣

Do you think if she carries on feeding him as he is and his protein gets lower he will be severely unwell? Is it normal for him to mess in his carrier like that during car trips or do you think it’s related to his diet?
Omg she Will kill her dog if she’s not careful. Birthday cake? Curry! What thr hell is she thinking. Why on earth would she give her puppy those things. Is there any way you can get through to her!? No wonder he doesn’t wanna eat his own food if that’s what he’s been living off

Reactions: 5
Hi guys,

Poor thing, that diet will seriously be affecting him! Things like onions and garlic (which will be in curry) can be really toxic to a dog!

Reactions: 4
I would suggest going to her vets with her and telling them all this. Hopefully if they tell her how bad it is she will listen.
I hope the KFC is boneless as cooked bones are a huge risk.

I think the vomitting and panting in the car is a normal reaction for some dogs, some can be anxious of travelling in the car or suffer car sickness. Our puppy is like this and we’ve read to take it slowly with car trips building up slowly over time to get them used to the motion etc.

Feeding a human diet to a puppy on the other hand is definitely not being a responsible dog owner!

Reactions: 3
How did those of you who work manage settling a puppy in? I’m only in the ‘could we make this work…?’ phase and I know plenty of people used to do it before working from home but it seems impossible now. I could take two weeks annual leave but is that enough time to get a dog ready to be left for 4 hours?

How did those of you who work manage settling a puppy in? I’m only in the ‘could we make this work…?’ phase and I know plenty of people used to do it before working from home but it seems impossible now. I could take two weeks annual leave but is that enough time to get a dog ready to be left for 4 hours?
Depends how old your puppy is when you want to leave them for 4 hours. They often can’t hold their bladder in the day for that long until 16-20 weeks and that can be hugely dependent on the breed. Both of ours were sleeping through the night at around 3mo but still needed regular toilet trips in the day until 5/6mo. I would say crate training would help you with leaving them - less destruction and they’re in a safe space rather than the freedom of the whole house. So that’s something to consider.
We work a mix of at home and in the office between the two of us, always have done. Did make it easier in those early days but we also took more time off at the start with our first one. The second one was “easier” in some respects thanks to having a 2 year old when we adopted the next one.

Every dog is different and some pups at 10 weeks old (if you collect at 8) wouldnt manage being left for 4 hours but some will be.

Do you only work for 4 hours at a time? If so Id look at getting a dog walker to come in half way through that time to play with pup / let them outside to toilet.

Its not just toilet training thats the issue, many wee pups will still be looking for constant contact 2 weeks after bringing them home and being left for 4 hours is a long time when theyre just a wee baby.

Many moons ago, I had an Alsatian, we took a couple of weeks off to settle him in and then he went to doggy day care while I was at work. Once he was older and pretty much slept all day, he used to just amuse himself.

These days, if I was back in the office, I would definitely have someone come in to check and walk the dog half way through the day.

If you don’t think a puppy would suit, you could always look at rehoming an older dog

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.