Puppies

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Possibly overfeeding, our Labrador was a pain eating a lot of the time and the vet had her down to 2 meals at 6 months. We were giving her the amount the food recommended but the vet said she was overweight so are giving her the vet recommended amount in calories. We were concerned she would not have enough, 120g of her food twice a day plus the odd low calorie treat however since doing this she eats her food straight away now. Prior to that when I needed her to finish breakfast before doggy day care etc she was a pain but no such issues now so she probably was overfed.

Reactions: 1
Our pup just really isn’t interested in food (unless it’s licking the bloody dishwasher) so we’ve very much gone down the grazing route and measuring out her daily allowance and topping up as and when. I would love to get her into more of a routine (breakfast/dinner) but she’s just not interested. She is a super healthy weight though.

Reactions: 2
Our pup just really isn’t interested in food (unless it’s licking the bloody dishwasher) so we’ve very much gone down the grazing route and measuring out her daily allowance and topping up as and when. I would love to get her into more of a routine (breakfast/dinner) but she’s just not interested. She is a super healthy weight though.
Our puppy is similar, he doesn’t seem interested in food much and I worried at first but is a healthy weight and has lots of energy.

I have recently started trying to make meal times a bit of a game which has encouraged him to eat more. I noticed he would eat his food when I would throw it around the room like a game (we use dry kibble) 🙈 basically I would just throw a piece or 2 at a time to different areas of the room and say find it and he would bound off excitedly and eat it. It was making him eat more but it was a bit tedious for me having to stand there every meal time throwing his kibble around 1 piece at a time 😂 So I found a toy thing called Bob a lot which is like a spiny type toy which drops food out. I’ve only been using it a few days but it’s going down well so far and seems to be encouraging him to eat more.

Reactions: 4
My pup is 6 months old but he's still currently having 3 meals a day as the vet said to keep it that way until 1 year. The last few days he's just not interested in his breakfast or lunch at all. I walk him early morning then give him his breakfast after, but he just isn't interested. But in the evening after his walk he'll scoff it all down. I wondered if he'd decided to be picky about his biscuits so I tried him on a handful of different ones and he ate them but wasn't particularly bothered - it took me a few minutes of waving them under his nose. I boiled some chicken and gave him that with a handful of his usual biscuits which he scoffed down. Could it be that he's just being picky, or gone off the biscuits we were giving him? I know you shouldn't change a dogs biscuits suddenly, but if he's not eating them I don't know what to do? Or could this be his way of telling us he no longer needs 3 meals?

He seems fine in himself, really playful etc. I get access to an online vet service through my insurance so I think I'm going to speak to them tonight as I can see on the camera he's still not touched his biscuits from breakfast but I just wondered if anyone had experienced similar or had any thoughts?
I don’t know if someone has said this but can you leave the dish down all day so he can graze? Our dog does this I’ve never know a dog to leave food before our collie 😂. Well offer it and he will only eat half or so sometimes and then he goes back to it around 11 am. Or sometimes later on. But he always eats his tea in one go

• Heart
Reactions: 3
We used to scatter feed ours when they were younger. But when 2 years old we switched to entirely raw diet and one meal a day (works for them but vets can be funny about raw so ignore them if you go that way). Anyway… scatter feeding can really encourage them to use their nose and brain a bit, also helps with tiring them out if they’re a bit bouncy!
The vet will always recommend what’s in the guidelines but by 6mo we’d moved to two meals a day and it didn’t do ours any harm doing this. I think it’s as much taking the advice and also seeing what your dog(s) like.

I don’t know if someone has said this but can you leave the dish down all day so he can graze? Our dog does this I’ve never know a dog to leave food before our collie 😂. Well offer it and he will only eat half or so sometimes and then he goes back to it around 11 am. Or sometimes later on. But he always eats his tea in one go
Grazing tends to work for ours, she won’t eat for ages but then seems to suddenly remember she’s hungry and Wolf it down.

The dog crate has been delivered this morning and the cats are looking very confused and curious about it. I give it an hour before one of them has jumped in it 😑

Starting to feel very real now and I'm absolutely bricking having another small creature to look after 🤣

• Heart
My pup is 6 months old but he's still currently having 3 meals a day as the vet said to keep it that way until 1 year. The last few days he's just not interested in his breakfast or lunch at all. I walk him early morning then give him his breakfast after, but he just isn't interested. But in the evening after his walk he'll scoff it all down. I wondered if he'd decided to be picky about his biscuits so I tried him on a handful of different ones and he ate them but wasn't particularly bothered - it took me a few minutes of waving them under his nose. I boiled some chicken and gave him that with a handful of his usual biscuits which he scoffed down. Could it be that he's just being picky, or gone off the biscuits we were giving him? I know you shouldn't change a dogs biscuits suddenly, but if he's not eating them I don't know what to do? Or could this be his way of telling us he no longer needs 3 meals?

He seems fine in himself, really playful etc. I get access to an online vet service through my insurance so I think I'm going to speak to them tonight as I can see on the camera he's still not touched his biscuits from breakfast but I just wondered if anyone had experienced similar or had any thoughts?
Don't over think it. I'm sure on occasions you don't fancy eating, he is the same. If he's hungry, he will eat, if not he won't, that's ok. If they aren't eating because they are unwell there are usually other symptoms, vomiting, drooling, lip licking, praying position.

• Heart
The dog crate has been delivered this morning and the cats are looking very confused and curious about it. I give it an hour before one of them has jumped in it 😑

Starting to feel very real now and I'm absolutely bricking having another small creature to look after 🤣
Just think of it like what a fun adventure you're all about to have 😂 😂

We've decided on a labrador for our breed. We're keeping our eyes out now for breeders local ish to us.
I am very nervous about it though, I just hope we can manage to train a puppy fairly well. I feel like we only have a small window to train and if we do it wrong then we're going to struggle down the line! Spending most of my evenings watching YT videos and researching atm!

We've decided on a labrador for our breed. We're keeping our eyes out now for breeders local ish to us.
I am very nervous about it though, I just hope we can manage to train a puppy fairly well. I feel like we only have a small window to train and if we do it wrong then we're going to struggle down the line! Spending most of my evenings watching YT videos and researching atm!
Whereabouts are you based if you don't mind me asking?

That's the main thing I'm concerned about is the training! I have heard that labradors are super easy to train cos they're so motivated by food though! We're getting a lab in 4 weeks 😁

I wouldn’t be too concerned in the early early days. You can only do little and often as attention span is so short. Although depends what age you’re picking up at? We did small amounts of training from 8/9 weeks and we started puppy classes (due to jabs and timing of new classes starting) at 14 weeks for one of ours and 20 weeks for the other. We had managed basics at home (sit, lie down, walking on loose leash) but classes is where they both excelled. I would recommend researching classes near you and booking in as soon as you can, even before he/she comes home with you as some still appear to be running very limited places post covid. We’ve been doing agility training this year but had a very long wait for a place - we were supposed to start last year!

• Heart
Whereabouts are you based if you don't mind me asking?

That's the main thing I'm concerned about is the training! I have heard that labradors are super easy to train cos they're so motivated by food though! We're getting a lab in 4 weeks 😁
Ahhh are you?? So exciting!!

We are West Midlands.

I've heard the same, that they pick up things quick etc. I am still really nervous that if we get it wrong we may end up with a poorly behaved dog!!

Ahhh are you?? So exciting!!

We are West Midlands.

I've heard the same, that they pick up things quick etc. I am still really nervous that if we get it wrong we may end up with a poorly behaved dog!!
Oh wow, you're not far from me at all. We're getting ours from 2 and a half hours away so that will be a fun journey home (family otherwise I would have chosen closer!)

I'm super excited about training but also super apprehensive. I've got two cats and my main training aim is to make sure he doesn't chase them and ignores them 🤣

Oh wow, you're not far from me at all. We're getting ours from 2 and a half hours away so that will be a fun journey home (family otherwise I would have chosen closer!)

I'm super excited about training but also super apprehensive. I've got two cats and my main training aim is to make sure he doesn't chase them and ignores them 🤣
We have no other pets, 2 kids though which will be fun!
Can you private message on here? Where in West Mids are you?

I have had three labradors and they are the best! Exceptionally intelligent, loving and eager to please. They are food motivated too which helps with training but they also just want to make you happy because that makes them happy. The main problem you have is keeping them entertained mentally when they are too little to walk far because they work out the knack for puzzle feeders etc in rapid time.

• Heart
I have had three labradors and they are the best! Exceptionally intelligent, loving and eager to please. They are food motivated too which helps with training but they also just want to make you happy because that makes them happy. The main problem you have is keeping them entertained mentally when they are too little to walk far because they work out the knack for puzzle feeders etc in rapid time.
Thank you - really useful advice. We're really lucky that we have a huge garden so I am hoping we can try and entertain a puppy outside until we can walk it.

Whats everybody's view on crates? Some videos I have watched recommends crate training whereas some don't?!

Whats everybody's view on crates? Some videos I have watched recommends crate training whereas some don't?!
I was fully intending on crate training my pup, but he just cried, and cried and cried. Or he would dig at his bed he had in there, chew the bed to pieces. I gave up with it. Some may say I gave up too soon but you've got to find what works for you.

I do think if you can make it work then crate training is great and if I got another pup I would try it again though.

My 6 month old cocker is chewing everything at the moment 😩 I didn't mind so much when he was just chewing cardboard, destroying his cuddly toys etc. But in the last few weeks he's moved on to door frames and skirting boards and it's driving me crazy 😩

He only does it when we're not in the house. We both work full time, but my bf goes home at lunch time to feed him and play with him for half hour, and we also have family members which drop by in the morning/afternoon for a quick toilet/play break outside. He has 2 baskets of toys, he's got loads. I always leave a puzzle toy out with treats in to try distract him, or a kong, he's always got loads of distractions but he's still going for my woodwork ☹ My bf has said if it carries on he'll put a play pen around his crate so he's very limited in where he can go. At the moment he has the dining room and kitchen to roam in, I don't really want to have to restrict him to just a crate and play pen as I'd rather he had the space he's got now but it's hard when he's then taking to chewing my wood :(
Is he a working cocker? To be honest, a cocker is a working dog even if it's a show type, hundreds of years of instinct is telling him to 'get out, get going, get busy' so he'll be bored and lacking stimulation if he's on his own all day bar half an hour or a quick wee. He's making his own entertainment. Toys you play with him with wont be fun on their own and puzzle balls and snuffle mats only fill a short time.
Could you stretch to a dog walker so he gets a good run out in the day time. Some scent work or agility training might be an idea if you have a free evening. Does he have time off lead before or after work? Have you tried frozen kongs? He needs masses of opportunities to do what his body is telling him so he's tired when he's alone.
There's a forum called cockersonline which can give you tons of help.

Re eating, a dog wont go hungry and but he will show preference and be stubborn to hold out for the better option if you keep offering 'nicer' alternatives. 3 meals a day aren't necessary now and if you're offering too much he won't eat it so it'll be a vicious circle or you thinking he's not eating because he's poorly, giving chicken and then he'll only want that. Stick with the kibble at set time, if he's really not interested after a few days you could try a different texture brand, add some wet food etc

We crate trained both, for our sanity and theirs. It was hard work with number one but number two adjusted well coz of our first. For us it helped manage behaviours as working breeds are all go and often don’t know when to stop. So by crating it teaches them to self soothe and eventually it becomes a place they just take themselves too - now they’re older I rarely close the crate door now. When we go out we leave stuff out but often just find them in the crates when we get back :)
I know it doesn’t work for all but if you can, it really is helpful and I worry less when we are out. Plus it made kennels for holidays much easier.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.