Puppies

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have a border terrier she’s amazing very loving and since my daughter was born has become the perfect family dog.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Anyone got experience of Border Terriers? I love a terrier and my fav is Jack Russell but I have children now and so going to pause on the JRT’s as they can often be quite nippy. I’ve said to my boyfriend once the kids are grown up I’ll be back to my beloved Russell’s 😂.

So was considering if there was a terrier better suited to family life and I think borders are so cute with their old men faces 😂

Edit - I prob should have caught up on this thread! Ha ha can’t believe I posted this after borders were mentioned! @Nosymum would love to hear more about your border

Anyone got experience of Border Terriers? I love a terrier and my fav is Jack Russell but I have children now and so going to pause on the JRT’s as they can often be quite nippy. I’ve said to my boyfriend once the kids are grown up I’ll be back to my beloved Russell’s 😂.

So was considering if there was a terrier better suited to family life and I think borders are so cute with their old men faces 😂

Edit - I prob should have caught up on this thread! Ha ha can’t believe I posted this after borders were mentioned! @Nosymum would love to hear more about your border
Heard great things about Tibetan terriers for family dogs!

Reactions: 1

I have two borders and they are great, we also had another before these two. mine are old now 15years and 13years. When we were looking for our first dog, me and my sister were young, my parents phoned the vets and asked what breed they’d recommend for a family and they said border terriers or staffies.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I’ve met tons of border terriers doing my job and I haven’t met a bad one yet !! Think they are the softest of the terrier breed? I actually really want one 😭.

• Heart
Reactions: 2

I have a 4 year old girl border called ruby and a 12 year old boy called Stanley she actually has 2 puppies at the moment a boy and girl. Borders are wonderful Family dogs, stubborn and selectively deaf! If you look for a pup make sure they are SLEM clear and kc reg so mum can’t have more than 3 litters. They have so much personality you wouldn’t ever regret getting a border.

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Got our girl spaniel on Saturday! She's been super so far! Apart from being so dramatic at the vets for a check yesterday cried in the car and at the vets and on the way home 🤣🤦weighs a healthy 2.6kg does have ear mites but that's common and getting that sorted. We are learning just as much as she is. As it's been exactly 11 years since we had a puppy. ♥ Love her so much already.♥
PXL_20220622_082927626.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Got our girl spaniel on Saturday! She's been super so far! Apart from being so dramatic at the vets for a check yesterday cried in the car and at the vets and on the way home 🤣🤦weighs a healthy 2.6kg does have ear mites but that's common and getting that sorted. We are learning just as much as she is. As it's been exactly 11 years since we had a puppy. ♥ Love her so much already.♥
View attachment 1361192
Ahhhhhhh what’s her name. She’s beautiful. I absolutely love these colour spaniels. They’re gorgeous 😭😭😭

• Heart
View attachment 1361192
She is beautiful! My little cocker spaniel came home with ear mites too but the vet gave his ears a good clean and some drops to put in and it was sorted in no time!

• Heart
Ahhhhhhh what’s her name. She’s beautiful. I absolutely love these colour spaniels. They’re gorgeous 😭😭😭
Her name's Mabel. We've had it from day one when we thought about getting a dog last year after my dad died. 💔And it's just stuck! Kept trying different names but always came back to Mabel. 😁

She is beautiful! My little cocker spaniel came home with ear mites too but the vet gave his ears a good clean and some drops to put in and it was sorted in no time!
Ahh that's really good to hear that yours got cleared up in no time! We've also got drops that we came home with and a worming/flea/mite tablet so that should help! Our last boxer had ear troubles so we are used to it and we know spaniels have ear issues just didn't think it would be from day one 🤣♥

• Heart
We're taking the plunge and we've decided to get a red lab puppy!

Any advice/tricks/things to know would be amazing! I'm super excited and can't stop looking at the pictute of him

• Heart
Reactions: 5
We're taking the plunge and we've decided to get a red lab puppy!

Any advice/tricks/things to know would be amazing! I'm super excited and can't stop looking at the pictute of him
How exciting !!!!! These are my mum and dads lab pups 😭🥰. They’ve been amazing. Really good at toilet training. The only thing is the nipping / wanting to bite everything. 😂

Attachments

• Heart
Does anyone have any advice for stopping their puppy barking at other dogs?

We got the green light from the vet a few days ago to start taking the puppy out on walks now he’s vaccinated and he’s really bad at barking at other dogs. I think it’s out of fear as opposed to him wanting to engage in play with other dogs.

We had been carrying him on walks most days before this and found he was would start shaking a bit and then growling when we passed other dogs and we would try to comfort him, cuddle him, talk soothingly, give treats etc. Now he’s on the ground he goes wild barking and tries to lunge at every dog 🙈 I try to crouch down, talk soothingly, offer treats etc but he’s so worked up it’s not working and he doesn’t calm down until the other dog is out of sight. I’ve taken to picking him up a lot of the time now when I see a dog approaching but not sure if this is the wrong thing to do as I know he needs to get used to being around other dogs.

We’ve been taking him to puppy socialization classes already but they’ve not been a huge success so far. Our puppy seems to be super timid and is really small compared to all the other puppies in the class and he just keeps hiding between our feet and seems scared of the other dogs in the class 😢

So actually I’m probably looking for advice for timid dogs and barking out of fear!

We got the green light from the vet a few days ago to start taking the puppy out on walks now he’s vaccinated and he’s really bad at barking at other dogs. I think it’s out of fear as opposed to him wanting to engage in play with other dogs.

We had been carrying him on walks most days before this and found he was would start shaking a bit and then growling when we passed other dogs and we would try to comfort him, cuddle him, talk soothingly, give treats etc. Now he’s on the ground he goes wild barking and tries to lunge at every dog 🙈 I try to crouch down, talk soothingly, offer treats etc but he’s so worked up it’s not working and he doesn’t calm down until the other dog is out of sight. I’ve taken to picking him up a lot of the time now when I see a dog approaching but not sure if this is the wrong thing to do as I know he needs to get used to being around other dogs.

We’ve been taking him to puppy socialization classes already but they’ve not been a huge success so far. Our puppy seems to be super timid and is really small compared to all the other puppies in the class and he just keeps hiding between our feet and seems scared of the other dogs in the class 😢

So actually I’m probably looking for advice for timid dogs and barking out of fear!
Do you know anyone else who has a puppy that you could start off introducing them to? The show dogs behaving badly has some great tips, there has definitely been episodes about dogs barking at other dogs. You could be sending him signals that you're stressed through the lead and maybe he feels like he needs to react.

You could also ask your puppy trainer for tips or perhaps some one on one time?

Hi!! Can anyone recommend a car seat/crate that can go on the back of the car for safe transportation? So we can use the seat belts to put round the pet car seat? If that makes sense?

My dachshund was terrible for barking at other dogs. We took him to a behaviourist who told me that by reassuring him and offering treats when he was going mental, I was essentially rewarding the bad behaviour.

We started him with sitting whilst out and treating him with a ‘tch’ type tongue click noise. When approaching other dogs, I’d sit him and do the noise and distract him with the treat. If he barked he didn’t get it and we carried on, but if he maintained eye contact with me he’d get the treat. We progressed to walking past other dogs and doing the same thing. Now when we walk him I just make the noise and he comes to heel when another dog is passing. I hope that makes sense. It did take a while but it was so worth the effort!

Reactions: 4
My dachshund was terrible for barking at other dogs. We took him to a behaviourist who told me that by reassuring him and offering treats when he was going mental, I was essentially rewarding the bad behaviour.

We started him with sitting whilst out and treating him with a ‘tch’ type tongue click noise. When approaching other dogs, I’d sit him and do the noise and distract him with the treat. If he barked he didn’t get it and we carried on, but if he maintained eye contact with me he’d get the treat. We progressed to walking past other dogs and doing the same thing. Now when we walk him I just make the noise and he comes to heel when another dog is passing. I hope that makes sense. It did take a while but it was so worth the effort!
I've been watching lots of videos with trainers who use the short sharp noise technique, seems to be really effective for lots of things!

We went to see our boy today. He's super tiny and has quite a timid personality. He's the smallest of the group but was super cute when he came for a cuddle.

I got home and suddenly got super anxious about introducing him to the cats. NGL had some pretty anxious tears haha. We've talked about it and thought it would probably be best to keep him upstairs in my office whilst he's a young pup as the cats don't really venture in there but love the open space of our living room downstairs. Our plan is to train him as much as we can to not go near the cats and give them a few dog safe spaces (our bedroom and their little den).

Does anyone have advice on crates? My partner wants a wooden crate as he hates the look of the metal ones but I'm not sure what is best.

I'm also a little nervous about work. I currently WFH three days a week but have to be in the office for 2 of them which is a half an hour drive away. My partner works in a school but is looking for some WFH jobs. Does anyone have advice about leaving puppies? Is it better to get them into a doggy day care or pay someone to come and spend some time with them?

Sorry for the Super long post but I want to make sure I'm as prepared as possible.

I wouldnt leave a pup all day initially Im afraid. Its far too long.

If between you, you can take a good 2 weeks annual leave to bed pup in, work on the toilet training, settling them and then Id get a dog sitter to pop in, in the day. Initially pup wont be able to go for a walk so youre just looking for someone to come in, check on pup, let them out to toilet, have a play/cuddle. If youre likely to be gone 9 hours I would say youd want someone in at least twice in that time with a young dog.

Doggy day care wont take a dog that isnt fully vaccinated and will need some initial getting to know you sessions with the pack. So Id definitely look at someone coming in for now and look at day care as a future option.

Do you have a family member or friend or anything who'd be willing to do that or even take the dog to their own home on office days. Appreciate thats a big ask though.

I wouldnt leave a pup all day initially Im afraid. Its far too long.

If between you, you can take a good 2 weeks annual leave to bed pup in, work on the toilet training, settling them and then Id get a dog sitter to pop in, in the day. Initially pup wont be able to go for a walk so youre just looking for someone to come in, check on pup, let them out to toilet, have a play/cuddle. If youre likely to be gone 9 hours I would say youd want someone in at least twice in that time with a young dog.

Doggy day care wont take a dog that isnt fully vaccinated and will need some initial getting to know you sessions with the pack. So Id definitely look at someone coming in for now and look at day care as a future option.

Do you have a family member or friend or anything who'd be willing to do that or even take the dog to their own home on office days. Appreciate thats a big ask though.
We do have some friends who once we said we were getting a dog wanted to puppy sit 🤣 luckily my boyfriend will have the 6 week holiday coming up so we should be OK for 6 weeks. His parents live in the same town I work in so we're planning to see if they can support one day a week. Pup will be fully vaccinated when he comes to us.

Honestly I don't know how people did it when we didn't work from home. It's crazy how much you have to think about.
My boyfriend thinks I'm overthinking things but I just want to make sure everything is right and we do the best by the puppy and the cats that we already have.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.