Psoriasis

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Oh, I remember the days when I would have a short sunbed session once a fortnight - I'm too pale and freckled to tan, but for one winter about 20 years ago, I'd nip in for a few minutes when it was bitterly cold and leave feeling all cosy and warm inside. It hadn't occurred to me that my skin was better (the Psoriasis side was diagnosed at the time) as well, but living in a draughty, damp, cold flat, it was so nice to not feel chilled to the bone all the time.

I do wonder what happened to the owner of the one I used, though. She did everything by the book with her clients, but when chatting, she said that she did half an hour every day after they closed for the evening - I'd assumed that most of her colour was fake tan before then. I hope she was alright, because she was lovely, but I suppose at best, she's now overusing botox and fillers after hours in a salon. :(

There is actually a tanning shop round the corner from here. Purely for interest, what sort of thing would be advised these days if somebody was considering a bit of vitamin D, keeping Psoriasis at bay and maybe looking just a tiny bit less pasty?

Hi, new to this, sorry if its been posted, I've had it since a baby, my arms, legs, scalp, nose etc haven't had flare ups recently but as a kid it was crazy bad to the point people would constantly ask if I had fallen an hurt myself, one day a elderly woman approched my mum an told her what would help, it was like one of those old wife tale things, we tried it an mines cleared up super well, didn't 100% go but at least for me it made a super huge difference, it was putting oats in a cloth an tying it round the tap like a little bag an letting the hot water flow through it that did it for me
Yes oats are amazing, this is what I buy from a lovely website along with goat milk soap it is fabulous at easing the itching and welt marks

Www.dragonflysoapsuds.co.uk this is where I get it all from even use it on my baby and eldest too. Also on etsy

Last edited:
I also felt like oats helped the skin in general with keeping it smooth like the none psoriasis parts, I wonder if anyone uses any balms or creams on the nose if it helps, my arms an legs have calmed a lot but around my nostrils still flares, it's worse when your in public an you feel itchy or feel a bit of skin an you need to try see to it without making it seem like your picking your nose, honestly the masks have been a god send for that, but if you use somthing, how helpful is it

The psoriasis on my face has gone crazy over the past year, particularly round my nose and chin. I'm not sure if wearing a mask has made it worse. I found this balm really helped: https://www.lyonsleaf.co.uk/Calendula-and-Marshmallow-balm

It hasn't shifted the psoriasis but it's really helped with flakiness and the redness has calmed too.
Thanks I'll check it out, am kindi used to it being a more of a flare in winter so am not sure if the mask is causing it to be worse or not, it's more a annoyince than anything for me but be nice to have somthing to calm it so am not feeling paranoid that I've skin lose around my nose

I only ever did the lay down ones, my family used to hire them cause they needed their tans in winter lol an back then most shops wouldn't allow under 16s or under 18s into them so it would be the bed ones, I've never tried the stand up ones, I assume you can make them short time like 5mins? Also are they close on you like the beds are, that was also another thing I didn't quite like was how close it all seemed to be near me
Yeah aren’t as close , most people prefer to use the stand ups, it tends to reach harder places. But yeah you don’t feel the heat so much, worth ago!

Yeah aren’t as close , most people prefer to use the stand ups, it tends to reach harder places. But yeah you don’t feel the heat so much, worth ago!
Thanks am sure there's plenty places around here has them so can check it out an see how I get on with it an if I like it

Reactions: 1
Whoever mentioned the oat bath…omg LIFECHANGER. I am in the bath now 😂

I put some quakers oats in a thin cotton cloth and tied it to the tap and let hot water run through, then I untied it when the bath was full and let it sit around in the water. Omg the water feels amazing and it smells good too! And I’ve just been massaging the oat bag (lol) into my skin, on my eczema patches.

im gonna do this weekly now, it feels so good. Although I think I’m using the wrong oats lol

Whoever mentioned the oat bath…omg LIFECHANGER. I am in the bath now 😂

I put some quakers oats in a thin cotton cloth and tied it to the tap and let hot water run through, then I untied it when the bath was full and let it sit around in the water. Omg the water feels amazing and it smells good too! And I’ve just been massaging the oat bag (lol) into my skin, on my eczema patches.

im gonna do this weekly now, it feels so good. Although I think I’m using the wrong oats lol
That's exactly what I used to do lol, I honestly can't remeber the oats I used, pretty sure it was just the cheap ones out the shop but it was a little elderly lady that told my mum about it an it was like one of those old wives tales you hear, we didn't have anything to loose so just decided to go for it, it's amazing right?

• Heart
That's exactly what I used to do lol, I honestly can't remeber the oats I used, pretty sure it was just the cheap ones out the shop but it was a little elderly lady that told my mum about it an it was like one of those old wives tales you hear, we didn't have anything to loose so just decided to go for it, it's amazing right?
so so good! It really softened my skin and overall just made me feel much better :) thank you! I’m going to do some research into what kind of oats specifically!

Glad I found this thread now and shared it 😊 if you do try different oats please let me know how you find it an if there's a difference, will be interesting to know how different oats are

Glad I found this thread now and shared it 😊 if you do try different oats please let me know how you find it an if there's a difference, will be interesting to know how different oats are
I heard you have to get more “refined” ones, like a powder. But I guess you could just crush the normal ones 😂

my eczema had been so bad lately, seemingly with no cause. It has been taking a toll on my mental health and I’m so glad I found this thread ♥

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I heard you have to get more “refined” ones, like a powder. But I guess you could just crush the normal ones 😂

my eczema had been so bad lately, seemingly with no cause. It has been taking a toll on my mental health and I’m so glad I found this thread ♥
Thanks for letting me know, honestly I don't even know what we used, I was really young so it was my mum that did it all for me so am not sure what she used, I'd imagine it was probably the cheapest ones that's probably more powder than anything, its like cereal the cheaper they are the more crushed an powder they are lol, so we probably did get almost powdered type oats, thanks for saying that, haven't had to have a oat bath in ages since it's not as flared as it used to be but it's good to know what type to look out for in future

You need colloidal oats - essentially ground oats. This article explains the background to why they’re beneficial. FYI I think oatmeal is just what Americans call oats. I can imagine using normal dried oats would work although ground down may release the oils and disperse more evenly?

You can buy Aveeno oat bath sachets but they are more expensive than a DIY version!

I’ve had a really bad flare up recently so I saw a dermatologist, who has given me antibiotics and antibacterial medication to calm my skin. But it’s getting really bad lately and affecting my life so much :( I’m due for a follow up in 6 weeks, if it remains like this, he said he’s considering putting me on Methotrexate :(

I’ve had a really bad flare up recently so I saw a dermatologist, who has given me antibiotics and antibacterial medication to calm my skin. But it’s getting really bad lately and affecting my life so much :( I’m due for a follow up in 6 weeks, if it remains like this, he said he’s considering putting me on Methotrexate :(
It can be a wonderful medication for some. Obviously there are provisos on that; try to get injections straight off, as you have less nausea with it, always, always, ALWAYS take your folic acid on non MTX days and take precautions about infection (wearing something on your feet in the house is a big one, as is looking after your feet in general), but the biggest thing is whether or not you are planning children as it's out of the question whilst you're on it. Sometimes it's possible to go straight onto a biologic instead if that's the case.

Reactions: 3
It can be a wonderful medication for some. Obviously there are provisos on that; try to get injections straight off, as you have less nausea with it, always, always, ALWAYS take your folic acid on non MTX days and take precautions about infection (wearing something on your feet in the house is a big one, as is looking after your feet in general), but the biggest thing is whether or not you are planning children as it's out of the question whilst you're on it. Sometimes it's possible to go straight onto a biologic instead if that's the case.
Im not planning a family for at least the next 3/4 years. I’m trying so hard to get out on Dupixent injections but they cost £1300 per injection on the NHS, so there’s many hoops to jump through to even be considered for them. The derm I saw recently, who gave me the antibiotics/antifungal meds have done nothing at all. They don’t stop the itch I feel constantly :(

my brother was on Cyclosporine for his eczema but he was taken off it when his liver function tests came back worse. But I’ve done a lot of research on Dupixent, it’s a monoclonal antibody treatment which stops the signalling for skin inflammation. No steroids, no immunosuppressive. It honestly sounds like a dream

this week has been really tough

• Sad
My psoriasis flare is so bad right now and it's so painful 😔 I'm stuck in limbo as I was referred to derm by my GP, I had an e consult with derm where I posted pics and they prescribed more steroids (which simply don't work) and said they wanted to see me in the clinic. This was back in April and I've heard nothing. I'm so sick and tired of chasing. I feel like it's not taking seriously, despite significant amounts of my body being covered including most of my face 😥

I've considered going private but I just can't afford it as I've already had to go private for a separate issue. Sorry just needed to vent 😔

• Heart
My psoriasis flare is so bad right now and it's so painful 😔 I'm stuck in limbo as I was referred to derm by my GP, I had an e consult with derm where I posted pics and they prescribed more steroids (which simply don't work) and said they wanted to see me in the clinic. This was back in April and I've heard nothing. I'm so sick and tired of chasing. I feel like it's not taking seriously, despite significant amounts of my body being covered including most of my face 😥

I've considered going private but I just can't afford it as I've already had to go private for a separate issue. Sorry just needed to vent 😔
my brother also went private to see a dermatologist about his eczema and they got him on cyclosporine within 2 consultations. I know it’s expensive but really worth it. Thankfully my derm is really responsive, but if he wasn’t I would seriously go private.

what steroids did they give you?