Problems with neighbour - help!

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Am I posting this right or in the right place? Never posted a thread before.

This is a long story, but since I've been awake now for over an hour due to his music and him hollering, I figured I'm not going to sleep so I may as well post it...

We've lived in this house since I was in high school, so 10 years now, and on and off we've had problems with the next door neighbour. They began when my mum split from her partner, as it's only us in the house which he is aware of, and which makes us feel a bit unsafe (he has a criminal record, more on that below) So, the issue in specifics...

He plays music so loud you hear it vibrating in our house at all hours of the day and night, sometimes all day AND night (it began today at 4am) he bangs and smashes things against the ajoining walls, screams lyrics at the top of his lungs etc. We've reported him to the housing association but he plays the mental health card as he has drug induced schizophrenia, so there is little they are willing to do over the situation as they say he has more protections than the average tenant. It also doesn't help were the only house attached to his, as it's flats on either side of our houses so they aren't getting other complaints as other people in the road aren't affected like we are and as such want an easy life and avoid him.

So, we recently began doing the only thing we could do, and began recording him on an app like the housing asked us to do on our phones. They actually accused mum of lying that the music was next door as it was that loud and clear? Even though he puts it on full blast and leaves his doors and windows wide open which makes it worse in warm weather. Anyway, eventually they sent him a letter and a housing officer visited after several weeks of that every day, and then he began knocking saying he'd keep down the noise, etc after they sent him a letter that he ignored, and then issued him a formal warning as a result.

We hoped then issues would stop, we were friendly enough, but now he's began knocking all the time, sometimes 7, 8 times a day or more, trying to get my mum to do things for him like go in his house to find something he's lost (his house is a disgrace, it even has flies from food he's left lying about), go with him shopping saying he can't read labels as he's blind in one eye or ring numbers for him off OUR phone, once she was on the phone for him over an hour, or lend him money for weed. He's even had her cook his dinner for him in our oven before more than once making out he can't read the cooking instructions. One day he had her going round doing all sorts and when she asked him not to knock again that day as she was in a lot of pain that day - he ignored her of course, kept knocking, expecting her to go in his house to chat to him etc. (my mum has several physical disabilities and is always in different levels of pain every day, so she shouldn't have said yes to doing anything as he's a user and he's been getting worse with trying to get her to do things, but she wants an easy life)

When she says she can't do something? He moans saying how much pain he's in to try and guilt her etc even though his medications are very weak compared to ones she's prescribed. When she's said to him she's in a lot of pain he just turns around going "Yeah well I'm in pain too". He has no bleeping empathy, everything is always about him and he's never wrong etc. She lost her job and doesn't have much money, he actually gets more money than her as he makes out he's in a bad way to scam disability benefits, but when she said no to giving him money he moans at her, asks her to lend money for him, asked her to lend money for him off my grandad, she said no, so he said to her sell things door to door to get him money etc and she said no. When she says no he then starts with the music like today. (He actually wastes his money on things he doesn't need like £45 trainers and lots of weed, and then goes food banks for food, bleeping user, so his lack of funds is totally on him)

I've spoke to him about the music. I'm a light sleeper and have a very acute sense of hearing as I'm autistic. He was all apologetic, saying it wouldn't happen again etc last week, and yet less than a week later because mum said no to lending him money for weed, here we are... I'm close to a meltdown, let me tell you.

Mum's concern is that if she begins reporting him again and he ends up evicted he will blame us and she's worried he will throw a rock through the window (best case scenario), or turn up with a gun and shoot our two dogs, or petrol bomb the house or worse. He recently got arrested for threatening his ex wife and two kids with a machete, and has said before how if he wanted a gun he could get one easily. He told me once he's been in prison several times. I wouldn't put it past him to do things like that either unfortunately, so please don't think she's been dramatic with her worries. She isn't.

The housing are currently in the process of taking him to court to evict him as he hasn't been paying the extra bedroom tax (it's a two bed and he's a single man alone) he seems to think he won't get evicted due to his mental health. I'm not sure how true that is, but it's still a couple of months until that happens anyway.

If he doesn't get evicted I'm not sure what I might do. Both mine and my mum's health has been declining badly due to this. We've tried applying to move to other houses anyway but even though we are in the highest bracket we can be on property pool we never get them, so we're stuck.

Mum is also concerned that if he knocks and I answer the door before she can about what will happen as I'm primed to explode at him. I really am. I just don't care anymore, I'm actually hoping he threatens me or assaults me so we can get him arrested and get a decent nights sleep. But then if he gets out, she has the worry still about what he might do.

Started writing this at 5am after he had been at this for an hour. Its gotten louder since then. Forgot to add he will go out for hours at a time and leave it on while out as well. Hatehatehate him.

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 3
I am really really sorry. It must be awful having to live with that.

You have done everything right, have you complained to your local MP? They can take it up as a case on your behalf and it will give it some more weight to your complaint.

Reactions: 5
I am really really sorry. It must be awful having to live with that.

You have done everything right, have you complained to your local MP? They can take it up as a case on your behalf and it will give it some more weight to your complaint.
It is horrible. It's just frustrating that we are doing all the right things but are still getting nowhere.

We haven't complained to our MP actually, I will mention it to mum but like I say, she's worried that if he gets evicted because of us he will do something in revenge :(

We have already found pellets from a pellet rifle in our back garden (which we know he owns) so don't dare leave the dogs out there without someone watching in case he shoots them with that or makes good on his words to buy an actual gun.

• Wow
Reactions: 2
Goodness me! That's horrible to have to endure. Hopefully they will move him on somewhere else soon. I don't really have any advice but maybe like the poster above has said, try your MP? It's affecting both of your mental health too, yes he may be 'protected' but that doesn't mean your health should suffer.

They don't seem to care about our health :( my mum has rang the housing association and their getting straight onto putting extra locks on our doors etc, that's something at least, considering yesterday he was saying to her how we live in a "gangster" town (we don't) and that anything could happen to her after she said she wouldn't lend him money. He's also said how he could get someone to do things for him and he'd get away with it as he would be in a coffee house as his alibi. Now if those aren't threats then what is?

• Wow
God, I really don't know what to say other than you poor poor things. I really hope he gets evicted the scumbag. X

Have you tried environmental health?

We had issues last year with a barking dog. It took 6 months and people coming out at all hours but environmental health finally made them remove the dog.

Am I posting this right or in the right place? Never posted a thread before.

This is a long story, but since I've been awake now for over an hour due to his music and him hollering, I figured I'm not going to sleep so I may as well post it...

We've lived in this house since I was in high school, so 10 years now, and on and off we've had problems with the next door neighbour. They began when my mum split from her partner, as it's only us in the house which he is aware of, and which makes us feel a bit unsafe (he has a criminal record, more on that below) So, the issue in specifics...

He plays music so loud you hear it vibrating in our house at all hours of the day and night, sometimes all day AND night (it began today at 4am) he bangs and smashes things against the ajoining walls, screams lyrics at the top of his lungs etc. We've reported him to the housing association but he plays the mental health card as he has drug induced schizophrenia, so there is little they are willing to do over the situation as they say he has more protections than the average tenant. It also doesn't help were the only house attached to his, as it's flats on either side of our houses so they aren't getting other complaints as other people in the road aren't affected like we are and as such want an easy life and avoid him.

So, we recently began doing the only thing we could do, and began recording him on an app like the housing asked us to do on our phones. They actually accused mum of lying that the music was next door as it was that loud and clear? Even though he puts it on full blast and leaves his doors and windows wide open which makes it worse in warm weather. Anyway, eventually they sent him a letter and a housing officer visited after several weeks of that every day, and then he began knocking saying he'd keep down the noise, etc after they sent him a letter that he ignored, and then issued him a formal warning as a result.

We hoped then issues would stop, we were friendly enough, but now he's began knocking all the time, sometimes 7, 8 times a day or more, trying to get my mum to do things for him like go in his house to find something he's lost (his house is a disgrace, it even has flies from food he's left lying about), go with him shopping saying he can't read labels as he's blind in one eye or ring numbers for him off OUR phone, once she was on the phone for him over an hour, or lend him money for weed. He's even had her cook his dinner for him in our oven before more than once making out he can't read the cooking instructions. One day he had her going round doing all sorts and when she asked him not to knock again that day as she was in a lot of pain that day - he ignored her of course, kept knocking, expecting her to go in his house to chat to him etc. (my mum has several physical disabilities and is always in different levels of pain every day, so she shouldn't have said yes to doing anything as he's a user and he's been getting worse with trying to get her to do things, but she wants an easy life)

When she says she can't do something? He moans saying how much pain he's in to try and guilt her etc even though his medications are very weak compared to ones she's prescribed. When she's said to him she's in a lot of pain he just turns around going "Yeah well I'm in pain too". He has no bleeping empathy, everything is always about him and he's never wrong etc. She lost her job and doesn't have much money, he actually gets more money than her as he makes out he's in a bad way to scam disability benefits, but when she said no to giving him money he moans at her, asks her to lend money for him, asked her to lend money for him off my grandad, she said no, so he said to her sell things door to door to get him money etc and she said no. When she says no he then starts with the music like today. (He actually wastes his money on things he doesn't need like £45 trainers and lots of weed, and then goes food banks for food, bleeping user, so his lack of funds is totally on him)

I've spoke to him about the music. I'm a light sleeper and have a very acute sense of hearing as I'm autistic. He was all apologetic, saying it wouldn't happen again etc last week, and yet less than a week later because mum said no to lending him money for weed, here we are... I'm close to a meltdown, let me tell you.

Mum's concern is that if she begins reporting him again and he ends up evicted he will blame us and she's worried he will throw a rock through the window (best case scenario), or turn up with a gun and shoot our two dogs, or petrol bomb the house or worse. He recently got arrested for threatening his ex wife and two kids with a machete, and has said before how if he wanted a gun he could get one easily. He told me once he's been in prison several times. I wouldn't put it past him to do things like that either unfortunately, so please don't think she's been dramatic with her worries. She isn't.

The housing are currently in the process of taking him to court to evict him as he hasn't been paying the extra bedroom tax (it's a two bed and he's a single man alone) he seems to think he won't get evicted due to his mental health. I'm not sure how true that is, but it's still a couple of months until that happens anyway.

If he doesn't get evicted I'm not sure what I might do. Both mine and my mum's health has been declining badly due to this. We've tried applying to move to other houses anyway but even though we are in the highest bracket we can be on property pool we never get them, so we're stuck.

Mum is also concerned that if he knocks and I answer the door before she can about what will happen as I'm primed to explode at him. I really am. I just don't care anymore, I'm actually hoping he threatens me or assaults me so we can get him arrested and get a decent nights sleep. But then if he gets out, she has the worry still about what he might do.

Started writing this at 5am after he had been at this for an hour. Its gotten louder since then. Forgot to add he will go out for hours at a time and leave it on while out as well. Hatehatehate him.
I don’t really have any advice, sorry. But I really feel for you and your mum. It has to be awful living next to that 😞

As well as your MP, contact all your local councillors, and the police to report his threats. Ask the police to come in plain clothes or else go to them to make the complaint. Consider going to a local CAB too. I would also seek out a solicitor to see about getting an injunction against him. Cease any contact with him.

We have now. We had to answer the door as he was banging on our windows making the dog go berserk. He started screaming at my mum accusing her of robbing his house (his door was open so she left a note and a spare key he forced her to take in his house just in the porch thinking he was in. I know this since I was there) we wouldn't rob anyone but let alone him and his cesspool. Ridiculous.

So after he started getting aggressive I got between them and said his behaviour was pathetic which he went to punch me for. Actually tightened his fist and lifted it towards me. So I said 'go on hit me then' and he backed off before making more threats as I said if he hit me I'd punch back harder. Before that he threatened both me and my mum and our dogs if she leaves the house etc and how he can easily break in.

Police are due over asap but will probably be hours so will update then. That's if they even come. He was laughing saying police won't come and housing won't do anything saying he can do whatever he wants basically.

Guess I'm having no sleep tonight then?

As well as your MP, contact all your local councillors, and the police to report his threats. Ask the police to come in plain clothes or else go to them to make the complaint. Consider going to a local CAB too. I would also seek out a solicitor to see about getting an injunction against him. Cease any contact with him.
How would an injunction work with him being our neighbour? We can't not see him since he lives next door and vice versa. If police don't come mum will go into the station and there is a citizens advice nearby so she will have to go alone as we can't risk leaving the house unattended now and with my autism I'm useless with people so it's better she goes since she's the one on the tenancy anyway.

• Sad
A solicitor will tell you how an injunction work. Maybe something like not crossing the boundary etc. I would scream and cry down the phone to the police again. Your mum needs to stop engaging with him. I really hope that the housing association evict him.

Reactions: 4
A solicitor will tell you how an injunction work. Maybe something like not crossing the boundary etc. I would scream and cry down the phone to the police again. Your mum needs to stop engaging with him. I really hope that the housing association evict him.
Unfortunately it's not classed as an emergency so they won't rush out :( and I understand what you say about not engaging him but if you'd been there you'd understand. Our dog is only small and he was terrified, I actually thought he might put the window through if we hadn't opened the door. We will be recording anything he says and does from now on too so if he bangs or starts screaming. I just wish the police would hurry up and come.

And even if they do evict him it won't be until the end of October most likely :(

• Sad
Reactions: 1
If he’s pounding on your windows and doors and threatening you then it is an emergency.

You need to call 111 every time something happens, they will keep the log open and you’ll have proper evidence. Also you could secretly record him making threats.

Reactions: 6
I am so sorry you are going through this. I was going to suggest some kind of mediation but as I read further it sounds completely out of control and probably not something he would agree to anyway. I hope you find some answers. Living next door to a nightmare is so stressful. :(

If he’s pounding on your windows and doors and threatening you then it is an emergency.
I've rang the station back twice and because he's quiet now it's not an emergency apparently? No idea when they might turn up or if they even will

You need to call 111 every time something happens, they will keep the log open and you’ll have proper evidence. Also you could secretly record him making threats.
Were recording everything from now on, and a lot has been opened with the police. We will see what use it all amounts to I suppose

I am so sorry you are going through this. I was going to suggest some kind of mediation but as I read further it sounds completely out of control and probably not something he would agree to anyway. I hope you find some answers. Living next door to a nightmare is so stressful. :(
The thing that angers me the most is we made a big effort to be nice and he just took advantage, as soon as my mum said no to lending him money this is when it started. He's saying he is going to accuse us of robbing his house and he's got our prints in the house as he bugged my mum and me to help him find things saying he couldn't see them with his partial sight and this is how he repays her? Its disgusting. His whole family want nothing to do with him, including his 5 kids. I used to feel sorry for him but after this I completely understand why. He's a disgrace of a person :(

I would consider cctv (you can get cctv systems for quite cheap these days) you can get them what will connect to your phone and alert you if anyone comes near your home - at least you can leave your house with peace of mind.

‭He sounds awful, I hope you manage to get this situation sorted as soon as possible!

I would consider cctv (you can get cctv systems for quite cheap these days) you can get them what will connect to your phone and alert you if anyone comes near your home - at least you can leave your house with peace of mind.

‭He sounds awful, I hope you manage to get this situation sorted as soon as possible!
Cctv is something were currently looking into as well as maybe pricing up a house alarm, although we need to check whether the dogs might set one of those off accidentally or not.

Mum won't go to bed as he's out and she's paranoid he will try something whenever he returns so I think that would help put her at ease. It's hard though as we don't have a lot of money for things but I'd go short for something like that - can't put money on peace of mind.

We've already got door jammers coming for the doors and letterbox in case he tries to stick a firework through the letterbox and our housing association are due too for fitting extra locks and lights as a priority.

Police finally arrived at 11 something. Basically we can either choose for them to issue him a warning over threatening behaviour or take it further with charges. They couldn't speak to him tonight as were pretty sure he's out as we can't hear him moving around like we usually can and it's silent like a grave.

The charges are more my decision than mum's as I'm the one he went to punch. I can choose to have him charged with threat of assault or something like that anyway. The policeman explained but I'm that tired I wasn't really taking the information in properly. I want to, but fear of reprisal is what's stopping me saying yes to that.

Gonna have to have a serious think now I reckon.

Just want to thank all of you for your advice, suggestions, and support. Stuff like this is really isolating, it's good to not feel so alone, even if its through online.

@Lardoflife I'm sorry you are going through this.
I had harassment from my ex constantly appearing at my door, making demands then denying it all.
I got the Ring doorbell for both my front and back door. They have been a great help. I no longer have to open my door to see who's there, it has motion dection which helps me know when he's lurking around my back garden or near my property. Best of all it records it all and gave me evidence of him harassing me.

I hope you find a solution to your problem soon.

Ring Video Doorbell 2 | 1080p HD Video, Two-Way Talk, Motion Detection, Wi-Fi Connected https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0758975BR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_vnEIDb1G2EMBB

@Lardoflife I'm sorry you are going through this.
I had harassment from my ex constantly appearing at my door, making demands then denying it all.
I got the Ring doorbell for both my front and back door. They have been a great help. I no longer have to open my door to see who's there, it has motion dection which helps me know when he's lurking around my back garden or near my property. Best of all it records it all and gave me evidence of him harassing me.

I hope you find a solution to your problem soon.

Ring Video Doorbell 2 | 1080p HD Video, Two-Way Talk, Motion Detection, Wi-Fi Connected https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0758975BR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_vnEIDb1G2EMBB
Thanks for linking this. It's something were looking into getting now as it's basically ticking all the boxes for what we want to help feel a bit safer.

We're having to make an official statement to the housing officer tomorrow about the threats. Not quite sure what will happen after that but their planning to take some form of action apparently.