Problems with neighbour - help!

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Did you get a crime number from the police? If so I would contact your council with it. As there is a threat of violence that should make you a priority and the police would be able to support you in this. They may also be able to fit you with a panic alarm.

It’s not my area of law, but if you need any specific advice, send me a message and I’ll contact a colleague.

I also agree with the advise of the Ring doorbell (or Amazon has similar). It this sort of case, having as much documentation as possible is key, even if it is just noted on a piece of paper. Time, date, location (inside or outside the house) and what happened.

Reactions: 4
The boss of the anti-social behaviour team is due round at about 9am today. It really can't come soon enough. Our neighbour has been blasting music on and off since midnight and been shouting things like he's going to 'teach us a bleeping lesson.' Really hope the music is still like this come then, but he will probably run out of electric by then knowing our luck.

I will update what he says later today. We're also going to our local councillor at a drop in place but have to wait next Friday for that as they are only there the first and third Friday of the month.

In the meantime the hunt to move house continues but since you have to apply on property pool everything we apply for always goes to band A and B whether it's a house with fittings for someone disabled or a normal house (A and B are for homeless people and ex-military) and were only band C which is the highest we can be for people with disabilities, so I don't see us ever being able to move, so we're stuck suffering this every night and day now unless they do something.

• Sad
Reactions: 2
The boss has been to take our statements, due to the threatening nature and illegal things he's been doing (the smoking weed, having an air pistol in the house etc he's even threatened a little old lady before) they are taking immediate action to take him to court to evict him tomorrow or Friday.

I've also decided to make a statement to the police to press charges, since if I don't he might think he can just escalate matters and won't he will be told he can't approach us or the property so if he does they'll bring him in for that I'd think? Plus it makes evicting him easier I guess. Still won't feel safe in the house but at least the constant stress of music and anxiety will be gone.

Even if the police can't pursue things it might make him think twice before threatening me or my mum. He was shouting things like "you bleeping witch" through the walls at half 12 last night so it's not going to stop unless something happens.

Really anxious about whether or not this is the right decision but I can only do what I think is the best at the time. Waiting for the police to come to make a statement this morning as I need to go out this afternoon to the supermarket. Hoping they turn up soon.

The boss has been to take our statements, due to the threatening nature and illegal things he's been doing (the smoking weed, having an air pistol in the house etc he's even threatened a little old lady before) they are taking immediate action to take him to court to evict him tomorrow or Friday.

I've also decided to make a statement to the police to press charges, since if I don't he might think he can just escalate matters and won't he will be told he can't approach us or the property so if he does they'll bring him in for that I'd think? Plus it makes evicting him easier I guess. Still won't feel safe in the house but at least the constant stress of music and anxiety will be gone.

Even if the police can't pursue things it might make him think twice before threatening me or my mum. He was shouting things like "you bleeping witch" through the walls at half 12 last night so it's not going to stop unless something happens.

Really anxious about whether or not this is the right decision but I can only do what I think is the best at the time. Waiting for the police to come to make a statement this morning as I need to go out this afternoon to the supermarket. Hoping they turn up soon.
You are doing the right thing. Keep recording and taking notes and if at anytime he makes threats of violence towards either of you call the police straight away.
I'm glad your housing association appear to be helping and fingers crossed you get some peace soon.

Reactions: 3
Yes, that’s good news. When he’s gone I think you will still need an order not allowing him anywhere near you, your mum, your house, your dogs etc.

I'm really glad that they've done this for you. I'm sure it must be really scary for you not knowing if he'll retaliate but at the very least you'll be able to have some peace and quiet.

In the meantime you can start setting up your security measure like the camera doorbell and alarms etc to give you peace of mind.

I really hope that he's moved far enough away that he just forgets about you two and moves on (hopefully not to harass someone else).

Reactions: 1

Don’t doubt yourself. You’re definitely doing the right thing.

Has there been any talk about a restraining order or a harassment injunction? I would have thought if you cannot get the CPS to take out a restraining order, you would be able to apply for a harassment injunction under the Protection from Harassment Act (1997)

In all seriousness, we’ll done for being brave enough to do it. Too many people feel like they cannot and no one should have to live in fear.

Reactions: 3
Cctv is something were currently looking into as well as maybe pricing up a house alarm, although we need to check whether the dogs might set one of those off accidentally or not.

Mum won't go to bed as he's out and she's paranoid he will try something whenever he returns so I think that would help put her at ease. It's hard though as we don't have a lot of money for things but I'd go short for something like that - can't put money on peace of mind.

We've already got door jammers coming for the doors and letterbox in case he tries to stick a firework through the letterbox and our housing association are due too for fitting extra locks and lights as a priority.

Police finally arrived at 11 something. Basically we can either choose for them to issue him a warning over threatening behaviour or take it further with charges. They couldn't speak to him tonight as were pretty sure he's out as we can't hear him moving around like we usually can and it's silent like a grave.

The charges are more my decision than mum's as I'm the one he went to punch. I can choose to have him charged with threat of assault or something like that anyway. The policeman explained but I'm that tired I wasn't really taking the information in properly. I want to, but fear of reprisal is what's stopping me saying yes to that.

Gonna have to have a serious think now I reckon.

Just want to thank all of you for your advice, suggestions, and support. Stuff like this is really isolating, it's good to not feel so alone, even if its through online.
Alarm companies can make sure the alarm won't be triggered by pets, they set it to a certain height. We have an alarm and a dog and it doesn't go off.

Don’t doubt yourself. You’re definitely doing the right thing.

Has there been any talk about a restraining order or a harassment injunction? I would have thought if you cannot get the CPS to take out a restraining order, you would be able to apply for a harassment injunction under the Protection from Harassment Act (1997)

In all seriousness, we’ll done for being brave enough to do it. Too many people feel like they cannot and no one should have to live in fear.
There hasn't been any talk of it, no. The police haven't turned up to take a statement either. I actually misunderstood that as they aren't taking my statement yet, they want to take mum's as he showed her a gun in his house when he first threatened her. It's why she was so hesitant to do anything at first. Their taking my statement later in the week.

Whenever they turn up we will be sure to mention it, especially if the housing association get the emergency eviction order against him as then he will be out for retaliation

Did you tell the housing officer about the gun?
Yes, he knows and the police know. He was actually arrested like 7 years or so ago for chasing someone down the street with a hand pistol but never charged as far as I know. He threatened the old lady at the bus stop who was phoning the police on him at the time and thought it was something to brag about.

Suffice to say that makes things more worrying as we are the only house attached to his so whenever we made a complaint over noise he's always known it was us as either side of our houses is flats and he thinks he's untouchable due to getting away with things like that. Clearly he is greatly unhinged.

Chasing someone down the street with a hand pistol and threatening an old lady? Utterly dreadful. It’s so great that you are now taking action against this person but I’m sorry it took what he’s been doing to get to that point. If you can bear it, then keep onat your MP, councillors and police to find out why this person’s behaviour has been allowed to escalate and nothing was done before.

Oh gosh reading through your posts @Lardoflife ! I am so sorry you and your mother have had to deal with this. You've definitely done everything right, and I only wish Housing and the Police had actioned something sooner. Do let us know if/when he goes, and I hope you both start to feel safe in your own home soon.

The boss of the anti-social team from our housing association rang mum to check over her statement as they want her to sign it as they are seeking an emergency eviction order at court tomorrow. They might need mine as well, in which case I need to sign mine too. Don't know for sure yet.

They have had to take all mentions of the gun out of her statement though as the police are planning to raid his house and they don't want him getting wind of it beforehand by knowing that they know about the gun as he would be entitled to see whatever evidence they bring against him. Although if he gets evicted I don't know when their raiding it? By the time they raid him the gun may not be there anymore if he took it with him I'd have thought?

Saying that, they may not be granted the emergency eviction order. We will have to see. Although considering there are over 100 recordings between us from only a 3-4 month period, I really hope it's granted. Really just want this to end now.

I don’t know what to say! But didn’t want to read and say nothing so sending a massive hug to you and your mum and hoping with everything I’ve got that the awful times get better xx

So, quick update - they aren't evicting him. Due to the police wanting to raid his house they aren't going to evict him currently. However our housing association went to court today and we were granted a full injunction order (basically meaning he's not allowed to talk to or approach me and mum, committing anti-social noise or knocking or being on our property) however that doesn't go live until an officer hands it to him along with court documents and explains what it means... which I'm guessing won't be until Monday. Which is crap, since I'm currently still awake at this time due to him blasting his music out in the room next to mine purposefully yet again.

The police have been absolutely useless. They haven't gotten back to me about taking my statement to press charges which I'm disgusted at. I'm planning on ringing tomorrow to find out what's going on there. If they don't want to pursue that right now until they raid him that's one thing, but they haven't even contacted me to tell me that. They haven't contacted us to collect the evidence where he's written a note to mum asking her to go in his house and search for items - two of which were his weed and said gun.

An officer from CID did ring mum on Thursday though and the way he spoke to her was disgusting. Very much a blameful tone and extremely rude. Kept asking why she didn't report the gun and that sort of thing. Would have thought the answer was obvious like considering he's going to know it was her and living next door to him it's easy for him to seek reprisals. But no, he didn't seem to have any empathy for our situation whatsoever. Just kept speaking to her like something you scrape off your shoe.

Still waiting for the housing workmen to fix and change our front door and place the extra locks in the house. So much for us being put down as an "urgent emergency". Disgusted with everyone involved apart from the anti-social behaviour officer whose been sorting things for us. He's been good, I can't blame him for the police stopping them evicting our neighbour. Since this happened on Monday he's the one who took this to his bosses and ensured it would get into court asap.

We're going to our council and local MP's next week as well to see about being moved. When mum has asked the housing association if they are going to move us they keep dodging the question. As if were going to ever feel 100% safe now in this house.

The annoying thing is a bungalow came up a couple streets away that would have been perfect for mum a few weeks ago. A few years back she was assured by our housing officer that she could be moved if something came up in our local area and if she got worse. A man was moved at the beginning of the year due to his learning disability into a bungalow by them. However when she rang they kept denying that and refusing to swap the tenancy over and said we had to bid on it on property pool. Suffice to say we didn't get it, but if we had none of this would have happened. My point I'm trying to make is that they clearly aren't interested in moving us and won't even look into that possibility.

I really don't know what to do about moving. Fingers crossed talking to who we have planned next week helps in that regard.

I don’t know what to say! But didn’t want to read and say nothing so sending a massive hug to you and your mum and hoping with everything I’ve got that the awful times get better xx
Thank you for your kind words. I'm hoping something happens soon, but as I posted above the hope I do have is diminishing greatly in the face of such incompetency. Fingers crossed I can update soon saying he's been arrested or something xx

I’m so frustrated for you! Trying to remind yourself small steps have been made, and I’m pleased the anti social behaviour officer has been helpful, make sure they know the entire picture as they will have very close links with the police and can influence. Also make sure again they know you have a meeting with the MP next week.

Your MP will be able to lever in about any move, and the process so far. Keep us updated and 🤞for a quiet weekend.

I’m so frustrated for you! Trying to remind yourself small steps have been made, and I’m pleased the anti social behaviour officer has been helpful, make sure they know the entire picture as they will have very close links with the police and can influence. Also make sure again they know you have a meeting with the MP next week.

Your MP will be able to lever in about any move, and the process so far. Keep us updated and 🤞for a quiet weekend.
It should be a quiet weekend - the man who is serving him the papers just knocked to check if our neighbour was in and what the indicators were as he's been asked to serve the papers with the police present due to the threats and doesn't want to waste the police's time obviously.

We've exchanged numbers and I've said I will text him to let him know when he's in so the papers can he served.

Fingers crossed he abides by the injunction. Then again if he doesn't he will just be arrested for breaking it so either way I think we will feel better once their able to serve it.