Prescription Medicines

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
A thread to discuss prescription medicines and your experiences with them following the discussion in the celebrity gossip thread.

Reactions: 2
People taking naproxen regularly and longterm, are you getting your kidneys checked? It's not just your stomach that's affected by NSAIDs, and unfortunately there are few to no symptoms of your kidneys starting to struggle until you have CKD.

People struggling with uncontrolled pain, consider asking for buprenorphine transdermal patches if you're able to use them, it's still an opiate but you change the patch once a week so there's no ups and downs, and you don't develop such a tolerance so no need to overdo the pills.

---
^that post mostly for @shellie @Blurp & @Lizz17uk 💕

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
Is anyone here on biologics? (monoclonal antibodies). I’ve been on one for over a year and it’s totally transformed me. Thank god for modern medicine 🙏🏼

• Heart
Is anyone here on biologics? (monoclonal antibodies). I’ve been on one for over a year and it’s totally transformed me. Thank god for modern medicine 🙏🏼
Not on them but Methotrexate saved my friend's life, she had a rapid onset of rheumatoid arthritis and couldn't do anything. Amazing drugs!

• Heart
Not on them but Methotrexate saved my friend's life, she had a rapid onset of rheumatoid arthritis and couldn't do anything. Amazing drugs!
I’ve been on methotrexate for 6 years for vasculitis ( an autoimmune disease which causes inflammation of the blood vessels) - I was a wreck before I was diagnosed and had 2 awful ulcers on my legs/ trouble with painful red eye all because of inflamed blood vessels and my body attacking itself - within a month of being on methotrexate ( and high does steroids) my skin began to heal and disease started responding
No idea what triggered this illness in me but months previously I’d had an awful tooth abscess and was on antibiotics and naproxen- which apparently can trigger vasculitis!
However also have strong family history of autoimmune disease- mum and gran both had severe rheumatoid arthritis
My mum was on methotrexate for years- she’d originally been on gold injections which were notorious for wrecking your kidneys and bone marrow
I’m in remission now ( it’s treatable but not curable) but have been left with terrible peripheral neuropathy in my hands and feet and have to take gabapentin for the nerve pain- at one point I was on 300 mg x4 /day but thankfully have been able to get down to 300mg at night
Cold weather is a bummer for me - just had 3 weeks in the tropics and felt amazing!
I’m severely restricted in how far I can walk now and have a blue badge and have just taken decision to retire from nursing after 37 years!

• Heart
@PunkyMonkey i was offered methotrexate but opted for ciclosporin instead. Honestly it didn’t do much for me, I only had it for about 6 months, then I switched to Dupilumab (Dupixent) 😁 life has been great since then lol

I inject every 2 weeks into my stomach

Reactions: 1
I was on Effexor (venlafaxine) for my mental health - it was horrific. I went cold turkey coming off it, but even those that don't struggle. The brain zaps I had on it and multiplied when I came off it. Doctors finally realised I'm med resistant and it never have helped. I even took an allergic reaction to the pill - vomiting, diarrhea and rashes.

MIMS is good if you want to check up even lesser known side effects (my dad was a medical doctor so we always had an uptodate copy when growing up). https://www.mims.co.uk/

• Sad
Reactions: 3
Yeah ! Infliximab for crohns. For the last 3 years. Been in remission the whole time!

• Heart
I just wanted to copy across a post I put in the secret celeb gossip thread, for anyone who may be struggling with overuse of prescribed medication in the UK:

If you Google "substance misuse service" and your area you can find the details for your local support service. Every area has a service funded by central government which means it's free to access - the criteria for who these services can support can vary due to budget cuts but if the service can't support with prescribed medication misuse, it can either liaise with your GP about a suggested reduction/detox regime or can signpost to other suitable services. Asking for help is a huge, daunting step but better than trying to manage something so serious on your own ❤

(Also, for anyone using high amounts of pain or other prescribed medications (or illicit drugs for that matter) that may be trying to reduce, or have had a period of lower use but have relapsed onto a higher dose - your body creates a tolerance to medications over time, which means you end up needing to take more to get the same effect (which is how people end up taking a huge amount of pain relief and become dependent on it). If you have any time off your medication or on a lower dose, your tolerance will have dropped and therefore if you start using your previous "normal" dose it can be very dangerous and lead to an overdose, so always start at a lower dose and work gradually upwards if you return to a medication or drug after a period without it ❤)

• Heart
Reactions: 4
My dad had terminal COPD and had great trouble sleeping, and he ended up badly addicted to Zopiclone. He would down it with a massive quantity of whiskey too. It was soooo hard for me to deal with. I cursed the GP for ever prescribing it to him in his condition. He would call them constantly to beg them for more 😕

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
I just wanted to copy across a post I put in the secret celeb gossip thread, for anyone who may be struggling with overuse of prescribed medication in the UK:

If you Google "substance misuse service" and your area you can find the details for your local support service. Every area has a service funded by central government which means it's free to access - the criteria for who these services can support can vary due to budget cuts but if the service can't support with prescribed medication misuse, it can either liaise with your GP about a suggested reduction/detox regime or can signpost to other suitable services. Asking for help is a huge, daunting step but better than trying to manage something so serious on your own ❤

(Also, for anyone using high amounts of pain or other prescribed medications (or illicit drugs for that matter) that may be trying to reduce, or have had a period of lower use but have relapsed onto a higher dose - your body creates a tolerance to medications over time, which means you end up needing to take more to get the same effect (which is how people end up taking a huge amount of pain relief and become dependent on it). If you have any time off your medication or on a lower dose, your tolerance will have dropped and therefore if you start using your previous "normal" dose it can be very dangerous and lead to an overdose, so always start at a lower dose and work gradually upwards if you return to a medication or drug after a period without it ❤)
I've been on pain 20 years same dosage been wanting too come off the option they give is methadone which shocked me so am reducing myself even tho am in chronic pain am sick of the dependency they don't work well anymore and I've never abused them.

• Heart
I've been on pain 20 years same dosage been wanting too come off the option they give is methadone which shocked me so am reducing myself even tho am in chronic pain am sick of the dependency they don't work well anymore and I've never abused them.
If you can get referred to a pain clinic then try that - if not, find out if you can be prescribed patches or buprenorphine instead of methadone to help reduce you down. Good luck with it ❤

• Heart
On the Celeb thread someone posted under a spoiler a cream for pain relief. I have looked through three threads and cannot find it. Is the person who posted it on here ?

On the Celeb thread someone posted under a spoiler a cream for pain relief. I have looked through three threads and cannot find it. Is the person who posted it on here ?
Was it the Celeb thread, or was it on the Harry and Meghan one?

im due my 3rd infliximab in a couple of weeks *touchwood* its keeping my colitis under control after a severe flare up
ahh amazing! So you’re having your loading doses atm? It really is a wonder drug for so many. I’m on it 8 weekly and have even stayed on it throughout the whole of my current pregnancy. Once you’re on it regularly the infusions are only 20-30 mins long.