Pregnancy discrimination

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Did you hear anything back yet?

My work have been a nightmare. To start with they appeared supportive but cracks started to show. Rolling of the eyes when I asked to go to appointments, suggesting I was lying when I said the GTT was two hours long. From the start I’ve been transparent that I’d like to reduce my hours once baby is here and they were very understanding to start with and said they’d create a job share, they didn’t want to lose me etc. (This was in November). In January I was signed off with pregnancy related health issues for a couple of weeks before my maternity leave started. Their attitude completely changed. They have become so cold, rude and I felt like I was being interrogated whenever I phoned to update. They also suddenly said when my leave started that they don’t think they’ll be able to accommodate me coming back part time so I’ll be redeployed. This conversation shouldn’t even be happening yet until I put in my flexible request form in 12 weeks before I intend to return. Technically they haven’t done anything wrong yet, and the redeployment if they can’t accommodate your change in hours is company policy, but I do feel like the sudden change in attitude is punishing me for being unwell snd signed off. I’ve also had messages from colleagues saying they’ve been talking about it at work and saying there would be “no point” me coming back. I’ve worked there over 10 years so it’s been upsetting to hear. They shouldn’t be discussing it with my colleagues either surely it’s not their business??

They were really horrible about another colleague going off slightly early too (again due to health problems just a couple of weeks early) just total lack of empathy and understanding. What gets me is my bosses daughter just had her first child and was very unwell throughout the pregnancy. I just keep wondering how she would feel if it was her daughter being treated like this??

Sorry for the really long post, had to get it all out lol and wondering where I stand ??
I have a friend going through similar with flexible working requests. Firstly, if you can help it don’t resign yourself, from guidance it sounds like it’s more beneficial to wait until they dismiss you. If you look on the ACAS website there are some very specific reasons as to why they can deny flexible working request. If they deny your request make sure it’s on the grounds of one of those reasons. If it’s not then ask for an appeal- they don’t have to give you one but they look better if they do. If the appeal is denied you need to raise a formal grievance but in the meantime get some legal advice just incase. There are no win no fee solicitors that can tell you if you’d have a case if you were being pushed out due to discrimination. A solicitor can’t start legal proceedings until your formally dismissed. In the case of my friend she’s currently working on the severance package they’ve offered her- legal advice was to not accept the first offer but in her case she has a claim for discrimination. There’s also a lot of red tape about what people can and cannot say. If you can get everything in writing or any kind of proof it helps. My friend was told things like “your best option is to resign” etc which isn’t legal.
It’s really disgusting that this kind of behaviour is so common.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I have a friend going through similar with flexible working requests. Firstly, if you can help it don’t resign yourself, from guidance it sounds like it’s more beneficial to wait until they dismiss you. If you look on the ACAS website there are some very specific reasons as to why they can deny flexible working request. If they deny your request make sure it’s on the grounds of one of those reasons. If it’s not then ask for an appeal- they don’t have to give you one but they look better if they do. If the appeal is denied you need to raise a formal grievance but in the meantime get some legal advice just incase. There are no win no fee solicitors that can tell you if you’d have a case if you were being pushed out due to discrimination. A solicitor can’t start legal proceedings until your formally dismissed. In the case of my friend she’s currently working on the severance package they’ve offered her- legal advice was to not accept the first offer but in her case she has a claim for discrimination. There’s also a lot of red tape about what people can and cannot say. If you can get everything in writing or any kind of proof it helps. My friend was told things like “your best option is to resign” etc which isn’t legal.
It’s really disgusting that this kind of behaviour is so common.
Thanks so much! I will keep a record of everything for now and see what happens when I put in my request later in the year. It seems to be a lot more common than you’d expect in this day and age unfortunately!

People are assholes, I started maternity leave early because a person in my job who constantly has an issue with various staff at one stage or another decided to tell my manager I wasn’t speaking to them, when in fact it was the other way round. This is gaslighting by a 60 something year old who would speak to me when there were ppl around and then ignore me if there was no one there?? Standing around making it obvious they were talking about me, with other staff who they were essentially bullying a couple of weeks before. Manager and area manager were aware of the situation and nothing was done so I left and had no contact. I think management started to panic asking if I wanted to “sort the issue out”
Nope! Not at 9 months pregnant when the situation has been ongoing for weeks. It’s not up to me if staff are bullying other people and need to be pulled up on it and you are aware of it.
Will not be returning to that work environment but will take my maternity and absolutely be bringing it up with H.R when leaving.
The galling thing is this person actually makes themselves out to be the victim! 😳

• Angry
  • Heart
Reactions: 2
I have the exact same problem at work, my manager is included though so I have no one to lean on for support there. They gossip about me and why I don’t speak to anyone, erm because you all blank me and make nasty comments if I need to sit down or have a drink! No one in their right mind makes effort with nasty people who lie and ignore them. The minute my mat leave begins I’m out of there without even saying bye!

I think the person thinks they’ve gotten away with it because I haven’t made an issue of it, prob think I’ll be back after maternity and they’ll pick back up where they left off with their disgusting behaviour. They’ll be in for a shock, I just don’t have the energy to deal with it at the minute.

It does get you down so I do sympathise. Will you definitely be returning after leave? I never understand why people are this spiteful considering it’s common knowledge to be discriminatory and illegal to treat a pregnant woman any different from another. I’m a strong believer in karma x

It does get you down so I do sympathise. Will you definitely be returning after leave? I never understand why people are this spiteful considering it’s common knowledge to be discriminatory and illegal to treat a pregnant woman any different from another. I’m a strong believer in karma x
Because they get away with it. Probably wont go back. I have no interest in this juvenile carry on and know nothing will be done by management because the person thinks they’re being clever and because they don’t scream and shout at me that it’s not bullying, it’s happened with other people and they say they cant do anything if they don’t witness the behaviour. There’s no job worth that much to me so I’ll look for something else.

That’s a good idea, I’ll be doing the same. No job is worth the stress especially with a baby to care for. How much longer do you have there before mat leave?

People are assholes, I started maternity leave early because a person in my job who constantly has an issue with various staff at one stage or another decided to tell my manager I wasn’t speaking to them, when in fact it was the other way round. This is gaslighting by a 60 something year old who would speak to me when there were ppl around and then ignore me if there was no one there?? Standing around making it obvious they were talking about me, with other staff who they were essentially bullying a couple of weeks before. Manager and area manager were aware of the situation and nothing was done so I left and had no contact. I think management started to panic asking if I wanted to “sort the issue out”
Nope! Not at 9 months pregnant when the situation has been ongoing for weeks. It’s not up to me if staff are bullying other people and need to be pulled up on it and you are aware of it.
Will not be returning to that work environment but will take my maternity and absolutely be bringing it up with H.R when leaving.
The galling thing is this person actually makes themselves out to be the victim! 😳
Do… do you work in my workplace? 🤣 sounds like the same kind of environment. Tbh I’m tempted not to go back and look for something else but have to go back for a minimum period Of time or I have to pay back some of my “enhanced” maternity pay.

• Haha
Do… do you work in my workplace? 🤣 sounds like the same kind of environment. Tbh I’m tempted not to go back and look for something else but have to go back for a minimum period Of time or I have to pay back some of my “enhanced” maternity pay.
God, glad I’m not tied into going back to my place

Did you hear anything back yet?

My work have been a nightmare. To start with they appeared supportive but cracks started to show. Rolling of the eyes when I asked to go to appointments, suggesting I was lying when I said the GTT was two hours long. From the start I’ve been transparent that I’d like to reduce my hours once baby is here and they were very understanding to start with and said they’d create a job share, they didn’t want to lose me etc. (This was in November). In January I was signed off with pregnancy related health issues for a couple of weeks before my maternity leave started. Their attitude completely changed. They have become so cold, rude and I felt like I was being interrogated whenever I phoned to update. They also suddenly said when my leave started that they don’t think they’ll be able to accommodate me coming back part time so I’ll be redeployed. This conversation shouldn’t even be happening yet until I put in my flexible request form in 12 weeks before I intend to return. Technically they haven’t done anything wrong yet, and the redeployment if they can’t accommodate your change in hours is company policy, but I do feel like the sudden change in attitude is punishing me for being unwell snd signed off. I’ve also had messages from colleagues saying they’ve been talking about it at work and saying there would be “no point” me coming back. I’ve worked there over 10 years so it’s been upsetting to hear. They shouldn’t be discussing it with my colleagues either surely it’s not their business??

They were really horrible about another colleague going off slightly early too (again due to health problems just a couple of weeks early) just total lack of empathy and understanding. What gets me is my bosses daughter just had her first child and was very unwell throughout the pregnancy. I just keep wondering how she would feel if it was her daughter being treated like this??

Sorry for the really long post, had to get it all out lol and wondering where I stand ??
Are you UK based?

Honestly you ladies deserve a medal. These people you’re dealing with sound like absolute cunts!! (Sorry)
Record everything, their behaviour is disgusting! Sounds like pathetic people who have no control in their lives so want to tit on others’ happiness with the little authority they have. Very sad really.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Hi everyone, just an update I finally got signed off for the rest of my pregnancy and won’t need to see those vile witches ever again. Hoping someone can give me some advice as I’ve looked everywhere and getting no luck… my gp hasn’t put a pregnancy related illness on my sick note even though it is clearly pregnancy related and my work know I’m pregnant, will they be able to sack me? I’m just worried they’ll do that and I won’t be entitled to Mat leave or pay. They’re desperate to get rid of me anyway so it would be perfect for them. I’ve tried to contact tmy gp to change it but no one is responding or getting back to me. Do I risk the note I have or keep pushing for them to change it?

Hi everyone, just an update I finally got signed off for the rest of my pregnancy and won’t need to see those vile witches ever again. Hoping someone can give me some advice as I’ve looked everywhere and getting no luck… my gp hasn’t put a pregnancy related illness on my sick note even though it is clearly pregnancy related and my work know I’m pregnant, will they be able to sack me? I’m just worried they’ll do that and I won’t be entitled to Mat leave or pay. They’re desperate to get rid of me anyway so it would be perfect for them. I’ve tried to contact tmy gp to change it but no one is responding or getting back to me. Do I risk the note I have or keep pushing for them to change it?
I would definitely try get it changed just to cover your back and protect yourself. Can’t be too careful. My GP just put back pain on mine to start with and I asked her to specify if was pregnancy related and she did 🙂.

Do you want it to say pregnancy related so that you can prove discrimination if the sack you? Because it would still be the same for illness anyway.
They are not able to sack you either way, unless you've done something that contravenes your employment contract and they've followed the protocol for dismissal. If they did sack you when you've done nothing wrong it's still unfair dismissal.

That said, I'd keep trying the GP because a belt and braces approach is best in these situations if you think it might turn legal, rather than trying to do something after the event.

Thank you both, so even if it doesn’t mention pregnancy I’m still protected? I thought they would have happily change it but it doesn’t seem like they plan to! I’m beyond caring about the job now anyway I just don’t want to be sacked and seen as technically unemployed, plus the faff of court. Why is nothing ever simple for me! :LOL:

Thank you both, so even if it doesn’t mention pregnancy I’m still protected? I thought they would have happily change it but it doesn’t seem like they plan to! I’m beyond caring about the job now anyway I just don’t want to be sacked and seen as technically unemployed, plus the faff of court. Why is nothing ever simple for me! :LOL:
If they have no grounds for dismissal. Particularly if you can prove you’ve told them/they know you’re pregnant, text or email would help. Maybe email a copy of the note and say it’s pregnancy related yourself so you can prove they know if you don’t already have it in writing somewhere.
It’d be unfair dismissal to sack someone for being sick for any reason so if you could link dismissal to being signed off for sickness in a form it’s still wrong.

If you’re ever feeling anxious about what they can do, ACAS have a helpline you can call. I’ve called them a lot over the years around what companies can and can’t do. It’s how I found out employers can’t hand you a piece of paper and say “you have a to decide if you resign now, sign here”