Popsy clothing cult

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So after seeing people raving about popsy clothing I brought two dresses for work. They have pockets do fab as I hate carrying everything and wearing my keys on a lanyard. So much easier with pockets.
The material is awful it’s so cheap and manmade and bobbles on the first wash.
So I joined the popsy Facebook group to ask advice and also to sell them on as they just are not for me. Oh my gosh!
You can’t say anything negative about a popsy can you? People go crazy over them and i get the concept the concept is lovely but the product doesn’t match the promises.
also not the place to ask for more everyday wearable items such as plains or stripes.

Reactions: 19
So after seeing people raving about popsy clothing I brought two dresses for work. They have pockets do fab as I hate carrying everything and wearing my keys on a lanyard. So much easier with pockets.
The material is awful it’s so cheap and manmade and bobbles on the first wash.
So I joined the popsy Facebook group to ask advice and also to sell them on as they just are not for me. Oh my gosh!
You can’t say anything negative about a popsy can you? People go crazy over them and i get the concept the concept is lovely but the product doesn’t match the promises.
also not the place to ask for more everyday wearable items such as plains or stripes.
I'd never heard of them so looked them up ... cute dresses, but obviously not very forgiving on larger figures (the pockets would make the hips look huge).

Strange they don't do plains - if they did, imagine all the business they'd attract from people stocking up their workwear wardrobes?

Reactions: 5
Some of the stylea suit a larger body and they do up to a size 22. But they aren’t very friendly in the face of even minor criticism.

Reactions: 4
Never heard of them before either so just looked now. They do look nice but I've seen very similar, both shapes and fabrics on Amazon for cheaper. I've actually bought some of them from Amazon and they wash grand.

I looked on the website and immediately noticed a dress in an identical fabric to some junk I bought for a couple of quid off Shein. I'd be really shocked if these dresses aren't just all AliExpress etc. type crap that costs 20p to make, if as you say the fabric is rubbish quality.

Not to say that all Shopify sites are the same, but it is a Shopify website which means it's pretty likely to just be drop shipping crap from China.

Screenshot 2021-04-14 at 14.49.29.png

Jesus christ those patterns hurt my eyes.

The whole look screams "I used to trip on acid in art college, but now I'm a secondary school art teacher with QuIRkyyy vibes"

• Haha
Reactions: 50
The owners a bleeping genius tbh: realised about the whole body positivity market and most of the customers have low self esteem and have not worn dresses before. The frocks and friends page then tells these ladies that they look great. Unfortunately a lot of the time they don’t look great because the dresses are not forgiving.

Releases dresses every Friday at a certain time so people rush to buy. Every week some people buy a new dress!! Some people have over 300 dresses!! I’ve never even owned that many dresses in a lifetime.

She pushes out the same dresses week in week out just with a slightly different print. Or same print but in a different colour or design.

Quality is shite and something that they didn’t address- they think it’s ok for a nearly £40 dress to be debobbled after one wear. But the “cult” are happy to do this.

• Wow
Reactions: 20
Do like their dresses, but their followers are cultish and the brand owner just encourages them. They seem to think she makes dresses out of the goodness of her heart...

I keep saying there needs to be a “your Popsy dress is not a personality trait” tag group on Facebook.,.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
I have quite a few Popsy dresses, there's a few styles that are really flattering on my figure and I like a funky pattern. Can't be doing with the simpering and adulation though and the amount of different styles and prints they do is quite overwhelming. It's no wonder people end up in a frenzy as it's a constant push of new things they must have.

The selling group is mental, the prices things go for is mad. I've bought second hand, they've not been for me so resold for the same price.

Reactions: 6
I have quite a few Popsy dresses, there's a few styles that are really flattering on my figure and I like a funky pattern. Can't be doing with the simpering and adulation though and the amount of different styles and prints they do is quite overwhelming. It's no wonder people end up in a frenzy as it's a constant push of new things they must have.

The selling group is mental, the prices things go for is mad. I've bought second hand, they've not been for me so resold for the same price.
It’s the same print in a million different colours that gets me and only yesterday they posted yet another telephone print. Oh and them bringing out the adult dresses and then months later bringing them out in kids sizes. Great if you wanna twin with your kid but I can’t think of anything worse than me turning up somewhere with the same dress as a 5 year old. That’s why I don’t buy anymore.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
It's their group for me.

If you go in and search "otter" you'll see a post from a person talking about a design they submitted as part of a competition. The design (or one VERY close to it) was then manufactured. It didn't win. They claim the inspiration came from elsewhere. The person didn't get so much as a freebie dress.

I used to love them but their business practises put me RIGHT off.

• Wow
Reactions: 10
Just found this thread because the fan group on FB scares me. How do people remember all the names of every dress so they can say 'oh, I'm wearing Nigel today, isn't she a beaut'? Novelty prints are my weakness but there's something so offputting about it. (Also, I don;t want pockets in my dresses! They sit in weird places!)

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Never heard of Popsy dresses but this thread sounds just like they're the Lula Roe of dresses.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I bought a dress about 3 years ago, was about 35 quid (I bought it on payday so felt flush with cash at the time, woops). It's cheap material, makes me sweat. I saw the facebook group a couple of years ago, saw the cultish comments and decided Popsy dresses are not for me.

I bought a dress about 3 years ago, was about 35 quid (I bought it on payday so felt flush with cash at the time, woops). It's cheap material, makes me sweat. I saw the facebook group a couple of years ago, saw the cultish comments and decided Popsy dresses are not for me.
For me it’s the material. I work in a school and so modest length dresses and necklines with pockets would be fab but the material reminds me of a horrid nightie that I had as a child. All man made sweaty and printed on a cheap white base. So when stretched it shows the white through. For a couple of extra £ surely it could be a better material.

Reactions: 6
For me it’s the material. I work in a school and so modest length dresses and necklines with pockets would be fab but the material reminds me of a horrid nightie that I had as a child. All man made sweaty and printed on a cheap white base. So when stretched it shows the white through. For a couple of extra £ surely it could be a better material.
Boden do very similar looking dresses with pockets on decent material.

Boden do very similar looking dresses with pockets on decent material.
Whoever drafts patterns for Boden doesn't think women come in shapes other than pear, though.

I know the fabric you mean - Lindy Bop used to use it a lot and I am still mad that it meant no dress with puffins on.

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.