Pleasing everyone at Christmas

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Don’t judge me but I always plan A chest infection or ear ache “coming on” at about 5.30 on Christmas Day...

I will take part for the kids sake,
then duck off like an influencer who’s realised adsense season is over 🙂
Migraines always a good one. 'Oh I need to go and lie down in a dark room'.

We doing no Christmas gift and everyone contributes an amount to gift for a friends of mines cancer treatment. Must say it relieves a lot of stress. I live in South Africa, so we have a nice outdoor summer lunch in garden with friends.
I loved South African christmas' - have a braai with friends and then go to the beach for the rest of the day. SO much less stress than living in the UK.

I would say just be yourself and duck anybody who wants to ruin your Xmas. I've learned to deal with the passive aggressive nature of british people. In South Africa we are direct so you're either going to fall out or have a fab time together. ANd if you fall out you piss off back home.

Reactions: 1
My family have ignored my extended family for my entire life! If visiting them/going to theirs for Christmas does not bring you joy then just don’t do it 💁🏻‍♀️

It might ruffle a few feathers initially but I promise you my extended family still love us. Regardless, of the fact that Christmas is just for the 4 of us

Reactions: 2
It’s really hard at Christmas. Christmas is all about family - even the dreaded in laws. This was always my thoughts so I would spend Christmas Day with a mother in law I detested. Then around 4 pm right on time every Christmas Day she’d be pissed and would start being passive aggressive and would start arguments, I put up with this year after year. I would forgive her after getting the sorry in jan and after her other crap she’s dish out throughout the year. However she made a fatal mistake three months ago - my children were visiting and she slagged me off for terribly in front of them and as their mother they were so upset and distraught when they got home. Fatal error as now she’s crossed a line and now I’ll never forgive and I’ll never forget. So the old woman is spending Xmas on her own. She’s fallen out with her other daughter in law - who unlike me is not a soft sod. She’s phoned hubby and said oh I bought this and I’ve bought that and I can’t wait to come and spend Xmas with you and my hubby had to inform her ....... No. I told hubby that I’ll never be in the same room with her again. He’s told her - she only has herself to blame. Hes gone to visit her for a hour to take presents ( I ain’t completely cruel) God help what he’s bought her as I usually do it. So I expect she’s most likely got the most hideous scarf this year instead of the lovely Ysl black opuim perfume and beautiful jo malone candles she’s had from us in the past. Screw her. I’m doing it - how I want it and with who makes me the happiest. Nothing is good enough in her eyes and at nearly 40 years of age I am now tired of it.
When you have toxic people in your life - they will always find something to judge you on and nothing will be good enough and life’s too short to spend it with crappy people. 2019 I’ve walked away from people and I now know 2020 is going to get a lot better You spend Christmas in the exact way that makes you happiest. I’m now signing off Tattle for the new few days. Happy Christmas to you all. Xxx

Reactions: 8
I have a family that, unfortunately, operates on a system of passive aggressive displays and guilt trips. I decided earlier this year that I'm simply not going to participate or even acknowledge the tension anymore.
I’d wonder if we were related if it wasn’t so common... totally agree that not acknowledging passive aggression, hint or guilt trips is the only way to cope with that sort of stuff. Otherwise you will find yourself being pulled in and manipulated. It’s rife in my family. Hints most of all I hate. Unless it means being unkind or something I make an effort to ignore hints as much as I can. If they want to ask me something, they can ask me.

It’s really hard at Christmas. Christmas is all about family - even the dreaded in laws. This was always my thoughts so I would spend Christmas Day with a mother in law I detested. Then around 4 pm right on time every Christmas Day she’d be pissed and would start being passive aggressive and would start arguments, I put up with this year after year. I would forgive her after getting the sorry in jan and after her other crap she’s dish out throughout the year. However she made a fatal mistake three months ago - my children were visiting and she slagged me off for terribly in front of them and as their mother they were so upset and distraught when they got home. Fatal error as now she’s crossed a line and now I’ll never forgive and I’ll never forget. So the old woman is spending Xmas on her own. She’s fallen out with her other daughter in law - who unlike me is not a soft sod. She’s phoned hubby and said oh I bought this and I’ve bought that and I can’t wait to come and spend Xmas with you and my hubby had to inform her ....... No. I told hubby that I’ll never be in the same room with her again. He’s told her - she only has herself to blame. Hes gone to visit her for a hour to take presents ( I ain’t completely cruel) God help what he’s bought her as I usually do it. So I expect she’s most likely got the most hideous scarf this year instead of the lovely Ysl black opuim perfume and beautiful jo malone candles she’s had from us in the past. Screw her. I’m doing it - how I want it and with who makes me the happiest. Nothing is good enough in her eyes and at nearly 40 years of age I am now tired of it.
When you have toxic people in your life - they will always find something to judge you on and nothing will be good enough and life’s too short to spend it with crappy people. 2019 I’ve walked away from people and I now know 2020 is going to get a lot better You spend Christmas in the exact way that makes you happiest. I’m now signing off Tattle for the new few days. Happy Christmas to you all. Xxx
Continuing on- mobile numbers have been changed as having abuse from her Xmas night down the phone was interesting but I was too drunk to give a tit so I’d giggled as I listened to her and then said Happy Christmas and ended the call 😂

Continuing on- mobile numbers have been changed as having abuse from her Xmas night down the phone was interesting but I was too drunk to give a tit so I’d giggled as I listened to her and then said Happy Christmas and ended the call 😂
Omg what did she say?

I loved South African christmas' - have a braai with friends and then go to the beach for the rest of the day. SO much less stress than living in the UK.

I would say just be yourself and duck anybody who wants to ruin your Xmas. I've learned to deal with the passive aggressive nature of british people. In South Africa we are direct so you're either going to fall out or have a fab time together. ANd if you fall out you piss off back home.
Are you South African living in UK? I would love to experience one snowy Christmas