Phillip Schofield

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve lost the comment and can’t be arsed to go back and find it, but I think it’s unfair to say his wife has wasted her life with him. They’ve got 2 daughters together, I’m sure she doesn’t feel that is a waste! Also, just because he’s gay doesn’t mean they don’t love each other very much. We don’t know their personal situation, maybe she’s also been seeing other people but they’ve both been content to keep the status quo until he was ready to go public. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Reactions: 17
I’m finding a lot of the comments on this thread quite hard to read. Whether you like Philip or not, coming out as gay at the age of 57 IS a brave thing to do. Homophobia is sadly still rife, even in this day and age. I know, first hand, the effects of keeping a ‘secret’ like this can do to someone. It eats away, slowly chipping away at you until it takes you to the brink. But telling the truth and being who you truly are is sometimes too much for some people, largely due to the reactions of others. Some comments saying ‘oh he’ll be on dancing on ice next year’ and ‘ Philip and Rylan will be best mates etc’ WHY???? because he’s gay??? FFS this narrow minded ignorance is why people find it so hard to be honest. And has anyone thought maybe he’s difficult to work with because he’s been carrying this for years?

• Heart
Reactions: 72
I’m finding a lot of the comments on this thread quite hard to read. Whether you like Philip or not, coming out as gay at the age of 57 IS a brave thing to do. Homophobia is sadly still rife, even in this day and age. I know, first hand, the effects of keeping a ‘secret’ like this can do to someone. It eats away, slowly chipping away at you until it takes you to the brink. But telling the truth and being who you truly are is sometimes too much for some people, largely due to the reactions of others. Some comments saying ‘oh he’ll be on dancing on ice next year’ and ‘ Philip and Rylan will be best mates etc’ WHY???? because he’s gay??? FFS this narrow minded ignorance is why people find it so hard to be honest. And has anyone thought maybe he’s difficult to work with because he’s been carrying this for years?
Homophobia isn’t “rife” these days. Sexuality has had protected status in law for over 15 years... even the church is permitting same sex marriages.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
My brother (who is also gay) met him...said he’s a cocky prick
I can believe it he thinks he’s such a major celeb now. Did you see NTAs when he shoved I think it was this mornings producer out the way he’s gotten as big headed as pip

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Can I ask a question, which to be honest is probably due to my own ignorance about the situation...
Would it not be more accurate to say he’s bisexual? (I know he may identify as gay which is totally fine obviously, I know it’s completely his choice) but I was just thinking if he was able to have sex with a woman? Without being crude, I say ‘able’ because well, we all know how men’s bodies work lol. I thought the term ‘gay’ was generally for somebody who is attracted to the same sex?
Does anybody understand what I mean? Lol.
Awkward question to ask really as I don’t want to offend anyone who is gay or bi etc etc just genuinely trying to learn I guess.

Reactions: 14
If, as a lot of people suspect, this was sort of an open secret then something has happened now to force his hand. The bad press around him has sent more people digging, more rumours swirling and possibly people ready to come out the woodwork for a price. Which is horrible. I agree with the comment earlier that it is interesting he has said he is gay - not bisexual - thus firmly and publicly rejecting any hint of attraction to his wife.
I have always thought he was a smug prat and probably always will tbh. I feel sorry that he has probably publicly cheated on his wife and is being told he is brave for it. I do think coming out is a brave thing to do but the cheating aspect obviously is the flip side. However I get that the whole thing is complicated and more goes on in a marriage than you will know and maybe Steph is fully happy and supportive. However he has now put this in the open and of course people will speculate.

Reactions: 22
Ive just listened to a full interview. And this jumped out at me.

Holly: "It's really important to stress that you haven't had your hand forced here."

Why? Why is it really important to stress that? I think those saying his hand was forced were right on the money.

Reactions: 45
I know very little about Phil but I actually thought he was out already. I never knew he had a wife.

Reactions: 7
So does being bullied in the workplace.

I was born in the 1970's, grew up in the 1980's. My mum has worked in the NHS for most of my life and had gay male hairdressers (one who gave me my first job as a Saturday girl after the six hours he spent on my spiral perm 😂) so I've always been around gay people, some incredibly out and camp even back then. So I have to admit I'm struggling with this "it was hard coming out in the 1990's, the world was a different place" blah blah blah when, having lived through it, I don't feel it. That said, I've never had to come out.

I think Phil has always known he was gay but tried to convince himself he was in love with a woman. Wouldn't be the first and certainly won't be the last. It's always sad when someone feels they have to live in a lie but, unfortunately, there will always be bigots in this world. Personally, I don't care who you shag as long as it makes you happy, it's legal and you're not ruining someone else's life in the process. You get one life - it's too short to be unhappy and not be your true self. I have always said that. I believe him when he says they love each other very much and I don't think their marriage has been a "waste" and I sincerely hope Steph doesn't either. I suspect she's always known deep down and that there has been an agreement of some kind.

When I was 18, I went out with someone who I suspected was gay - he was pretty camp and really wasn't interested in me sexually (to be honest, I had vaginismus so it was a relief but he wasn't interested in doing other stuff either) - and my mum certainly did too as she made no bones about telling me when I told her we'd split up 😂 In his case, he'd just reconnected with his dad after a long period of estrangement. His dad was a real womaniser - was very flirty with me - and I think he just couldn't admit it, even to himself. He had a very out and proud gay friend who I bumped into years later - he was the one who told me he'd come out. He thought I'd be upset but it was the least surprising news ever.

I haven't seen any what I would consider homophobia on here but, again, I'm not gay so 🤷🏻‍♀️ I am disabled though and don't have a problem with disabled jokes as long as they're not malicious. And I haven't seen a malicious comment on here - just a bit of leg pulling. Nothing that I would consider crossing a line. However, I appreciate maybe that's something I need to think more about.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 25
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.