PhD/university solidarity

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It doesn't have to be in the same field but your supervisors will want to know you're sufficiently competent to complete a PhD in a different field. I did an interdisciplinary PhD and I have to say, the half of mine that I wasn't familiar with from my previous studies was a real struggle. It's not impossible, but picking up a new field at PhD level is difficult.
Finance side of things - most people would advise you not to do a PhD unless you have full funding. You can get a student loan if you're in England now (not sure about the other countries - sorry!) but I'm not sure how it works out with living costs etc. The max you can get is 25k and full year fees on a PhD will be about 4k a year, then you might have research costs etc.

Reactions: 1
Currently doing a PhD as well. I love it now but the first few months were really tough and uncertain, and I had serious doubts for a while. There are of course the occasional “off days” still but I think that’s true for any profession/course/job. I hope things improved for you since x