Periods

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm mid 40s now and have had various gynae issues over the years. However, around the age of the OP I could have periods that came every two weeks or go missing for three months (I'm asexual). They did eventually work themselves out, still hate them (they wouldn't remove my insides at 27 as "I may change my mind" on having children, even though it's less than 1%)! I also have PMDD - which trying to get a GP to refer for was hellish. Good luck everyone.

Reactions: 2
How long did everybodies periods take to return to normal after coming off the pill?

How long did everybodies periods take to return to normal after coming off the pill?
With the mini pill my cycle just stayed regular, with the combined pill I had spotting fairly quickly but it took over a year for things to get back to a regular cycle, I had taken it for around 6 years though.

Reactions: 1
Has anyone used the pill (or anything else, I’m open to all suggestions) for really bad period cramps? The night of day one going into day two I’m in agony, usually only manage to get to sleep about 3/4am when the exhaustion outweighs the pain, constantly feel like I need a poo but can’t, sweaty. This has only been the past couple of years and often on alternate periods so I’ve been putting off the GP appointment thinking it would settle down. Has anything worked for anyone? What side effects did you have? I have a history of depression and a few people I know have come off the pill because it affected their mood, so I’m a bit wary. I wouldn’t be using it for contraception so do you still need to take it at the same time (I’m not sure I’d be good at that) if it’s just for your periods?

Has anyone used the pill (or anything else, I’m open to all suggestions) for really bad period cramps? The night of day one going into day two I’m in agony, usually only manage to get to sleep about 3/4am when the exhaustion outweighs the pain, constantly feel like I need a poo but can’t, sweaty. This has only been the past couple of years and often on alternate periods so I’ve been putting off the GP appointment thinking it would settle down. Has anything worked for anyone? What side effects did you have? I have a history of depression and a few people I know have come off the pill because it affected their mood, so I’m a bit wary. I wouldn’t be using it for contraception so do you still need to take it at the same time (I’m not sure I’d be good at that) if it’s just for your periods?
i would recommend a GP appointment

over the counter:
iburofen and paracetamol in combination
buscopan is good
heat pads are my saviour

however have a look into symptoms of endometriosis

i would recommend a GP appointment

over the counter:
iburofen and paracetamol in combination
buscopan is good
heat pads are my saviour

however have a look into symptoms of endometriosis
just to add argos do a great electric heat pad that i cany live without

Hope people don’t mind me posting in this thread and hijacking it but I’m having a particularly rough (heavy) period that I think is causing my iron to plummet, and is making me incredibly dizzy (sometimes to the point where I think I’m going to pass out), tense and stressed. Sometimes it feels hard to catch my breath, more so in the evenings or the middle of the night. Beginning to think I’m anaemic again as I’ve had these symptoms before. I started a form of gentle iron a couple of days ago but it doesn’t seem to be helping as I’m wide awake and struggling. I’m stressing about the fight I’m going to have on my hands with the doctors tomorrow to get help.

Hope people don’t mind me posting in this thread and hijacking it but I’m having a particularly rough (heavy) period that I think is causing my iron to plummet, and is making me incredibly dizzy (sometimes to the point where I think I’m going to pass out), tense and stressed. Sometimes it feels hard to catch my breath, more so in the evenings or the middle of the night. Beginning to think I’m anaemic again as I’ve had these symptoms before. I started a form of gentle iron a couple of days ago but it doesn’t seem to be helping as I’m wide awake and struggling. I’m stressing about the fight I’m going to have on my hands with the doctors tomorrow to get help.
good luck for tomorrow xxx

How did you get on? I was severely anaemic earlier in the year due to horrific periods over a number of years and ended up needing an emergency blood transfusion. Hopefully they'll take your symptoms seriously before you get to that point

How did you get on? I was severely anaemic earlier in the year due to horrific periods over a number of years and ended up needing an emergency blood transfusion. Hopefully they'll take your symptoms seriously before you get to that point
They’re bringing my blood test forward (I have to have them every six months) to see if my iron has dropped and go from there. I think it may be a case of me looking to have tablets for my periods.

Hello everyone I’m new here! I’m due to start my period in 2 days and today I’ve had light brown blood and it smells a bit. I’ve never had this before and I’ve not had sex recently. Is this normal? My friend said it’s just old blood and it’s normal. Anyone else get this or had this? Thanks 😊

Hello everyone I’m new here! I’m due to start my period in 2 days and today I’ve had light brown blood and it smells a bit. I’ve never had this before and I’ve not had sex recently. Is this normal? My friend said it’s just old blood and it’s normal. Anyone else get this or had this? Thanks 😊
I get this before an just after my period, was always told it was nothing as it's just old blood, I also put it down to getting older as well (like past my teen stage older)

I get horrendous cramps, often to the point where I couldn't move about, I used to take nuremol an they helped a ton but now I feel like because you can buy them on the shelf an not behind the counter then the strength isn't as good, so I tried this new thing, it's called nurefen plus, it's only a 3 days use an you can also use paracetamol with it, took a little bit to kick in but once it did I was completely fine

Hi there. I’ve been getting some streaks of blood in my urine and blood when I’m wiping which isn’t period related (but posting here cos I’ve had unusual discharge and changes to my periods too which are now much lighter and seem more like spotting ) .. I’m freaking out a bit as one in five cases of blood in wee means bladder cancer. Any advice or experience? I’m 33f and mum to a ten month old.

Posted this somewhere else but hopefully people on here have some advice:

I came off my pill almost 2 months ago (progesterone). Had my first period last week - all seemed fine just the usual. I was on the pill in the first place because they were so bad i'd be sick.

I don't know what to do about the pill now though. I was very lucky in that I never had any side effects and it stopped my period completely. I am worried about the long term of being on the pill and all the horror stories but not having a period was really great as the mental side effects really take their toll and I get really bad fatigue.
I just don't know what to do for the best. There's a bit of me that thinks just take the easier route now and deal with the outcomes if they come later down the line but there's a part of me that is concerned.
Anyone got any advice?

How long have you been on the pill for? I was on the pill for 10 years, came off a year before I thought I might want to try for a baby. No side effects and returned to regular periods. Possibly lucky, but I would say speak to your doctor, I did ask about it being bad for you to be on the pill for more than 10 years but they said it simply wasn't the case - there are advantages and disadvantages.
If life is easier on the pill and more difficult (rather than say inconvenient) off it then I think you need to speak to the doctor and see if you are ok to stay on it. There may be a better type of pill for you.

Hi there. I’ve been getting some streaks of blood in my urine and blood when I’m wiping which isn’t period related (but posting here cos I’ve had unusual discharge and changes to my periods too which are now much lighter and seem more like spotting ) .. I’m freaking out a bit as one in five cases of blood in wee means bladder cancer. Any advice or experience? I’m 33f and mum to a ten month old.
Ive just seen this. Go to your doctor immediately. I had what seemed like a second period, only a week after my period finished. This has never happened to me before. Obviously bleeding can be anything and everything and ends in cancer being worse case scenario.
I know its scary but its always better to face it and get help asap. My doctor recommended a smear and i need to keep an eye on things.
Yours could be as simple as an infection/UTI so please don't panic. But do seek advice from your doctor xx

How long have you been on the pill for? I was on the pill for 10 years, came off a year before I thought I might want to try for a baby. No side effects and returned to regular periods. Possibly lucky, but I would say speak to your doctor, I did ask about it being bad for you to be on the pill for more than 10 years but they said it simply wasn't the case - there are advantages and disadvantages.
If life is easier on the pill and more difficult (rather than say inconvenient) off it then I think you need to speak to the doctor and see if you are ok to stay on it. There may be a better type of pill for you.

Ive just seen this. Go to your doctor immediately. I had what seemed like a second period, only a week after my period finished. This has never happened to me before. Obviously bleeding can be anything and everything and ends in cancer being worse case scenario.
I know its scary but its always better to face it and get help asap. My doctor recommended a smear and i need to keep an eye on things.
Yours could be as simple as an infection/UTI so please don't panic. But do seek advice from your doctor xx
hi thank you! I have been on it for almost a year an half. Came off it end of october and I've just had 1 period since which took about 6 weeks to come.

I forgot how much periods feel like Russian roulette even when you're tracking it. Will it come tonight? Will it come in the middle of the day? How heavy are we this time?

Not sure this is the correct place to post but I'll give it a go. I was due on, a week and 2 days ago and still haven't started. I did a pregnancy test yesterday which was a clear as day negative. I'm usually really regular 28-30 days so I'm baffled why I am so late.
Husband has convinced himself I am pregnant, but the test was so clearly negative. Its not like I tested on the day I was due either, so surely any hormone would be strong enough to detect a week late.
I'm going to do another test tomorrow, it was a pack of two so I may aswell, if I haven't come on by then.
Has anyone ever had this? I've never been late before. I'm 34 and have two children, since my youngest was born (she's 7) periods have been awfully heavy, but regular.

Yes I have they are called norethisterone tablets. I’ve used them a couple of times when i was on holiday. You need to start taking them a few days before you are due on and then I think it’s two a day until you want your period to start. Can’t remember exactly as I haven’t used them in a year or so. But they worked very well for me delayed my period and I didn’t have any side effects. Just a normal period within about two days once I stopped taking them. I would definitely take them again if I needed to
Hi, sorry to drag this old comment up but I’ve been searching for some advice on these pills! I’m currently taking them to delay my June period (due tomorrow). I know when I stop taking them I should then get that June period a day or two later. My question is really about my July period - it’s due around the 17th (if I come on tomorrow) but if I delay this June one two weeks, will that push the July one back two weeks? Or will that one and all the following ones fall back into the usual cycle? I’m kind of thinking my whole cycle will move back a couple of weeks from now on, but there doesn’t seem to be much advice out there! Any experiences would be great to hear about. Thanks.

Hi, sorry to drag this old comment up but I’ve been searching for some advice on these pills! I’m currently taking them to delay my June period (due tomorrow). I know when I stop taking them I should then get that June period a day or two later. My question is really about my July period - it’s due around the 17th (if I come on tomorrow) but if I delay this June one two weeks, will that push the July one back two weeks? Or will that one and all the following ones fall back into the usual cycle? I’m kind of thinking my whole cycle will move back a couple of weeks from now on, but there doesn’t seem to be much advice out there! Any experiences would be great to hear about. Thanks.
From experience recently it will push your periods back