Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Retro80s

VIP Member
Menopause knickers, wtf? 🤣

My eyesight is shocking, I’ve been short sighted for as long as I can remember but I’m having trouble reading things now, will have to get some reading glasses asap 😩

Reactions: 6
I used to be a real supporter until I saw her openly criticised by Dr Liz O'Riordan who is a former breast surgeon who's also had breast cancer and many comments agreed. Louise runs her own private clinic so can be quite an HRT zealot.
Liz is good. I like her. Newson has been criticised for prescribing well over the recommended amount of HRT. Which is off label and therefore might be dangerous.

• Wow

Bettyboo2475

Chatty Member
I find yoga very difficult as I'm overweight. I swim regularly which is good for overall fitness. I need my joints oiled I think like the tin man in the wizard of Oz 😆

• Haha

MrsM79

Chatty Member
Does anyone else ever feel like a bit of a fraud or that they’re jumping on the peri bandwagon? I don’t recall hearing anything about peri when I was younger. You were either menopausal or you weren’t. I don’t know if it’s a recently recognised thing or what but I know my many symptoms are real and not in my head or caused by stress. I don’t know if it’s that I’m just more conscious of it now. Kind of like if you buy a certain colour car, every other car you see is the same as the one you’ve just bought.

In fairness, the 'HRT causing cancer' message was pretty widespread years ago and it does slightly increase your risk. It just wasn't clear that it reduces your risk of other things such as CVD. Plus, it seems to be revolutionary for some women's symptoms so is obviously a sensible choice. As anything, you have to make a decision for you. It's really disappointing that there are so many people trying to make a quick buck in this area.

& people like Davina McCall who monetise the menopause have made various spurious claims like that HRT can REDUCE your risk of dementia. I mean, maybe it can, but she is not a medical expert or scientist and I get very tired of these celebs muddying the already very murky waters with all the conflicting information available.

griftalo

VIP Member
Back with an update on my skin woes! I stopped using the zitsticka sun cream, as it seemed it all started with that when I thought hard about it. I thought I might feel better, it at least stopped getting worse, began using kiehls moisturiser again and that helped a lot and the final thing has been wash my face with noxzema. My face is so much less red using the noxzema now and it’s not at all dry after washing. Just sharing in case anyone wants to give the noxzema a go. I looked up some reviews and they also said it helped with rosacea (I don’t have rosacea) and reduced redness so it’s not just me. It might not be for everyone as it’s very eucalyptus-y, but I like that

Reactions: 5

Kim Mild

VIP Member
Does anyone else ever feel like a bit of a fraud or that they’re jumping on the peri bandwagon? I don’t recall hearing anything about peri when I was younger. You were either menopausal or you weren’t. I don’t know if it’s a recently recognised thing or what but I know my many symptoms are real and not in my head or caused by stress. I don’t know if it’s that I’m just more conscious of it now. Kind of like if you buy a certain colour car, every other car you see is the same as the one you’ve just bought.
Some 40 something instagrammer was saying that peri symptoms are a big thing since covid because people( ie women) started analysing how their bodies feel ,and keep a mental note. That is how the current peri age group are so aware. And Davina, of course.

Nurseali

VIP Member
Is there any bloody body parts not effected. Even my eyes are either bone dry or I look like I have been crying for days. Pfft

Nurseali

VIP Member
Yoga really helps with my aches and pains… you don’t need anything fancy basically a lot of stretching out and mobility in those joints and muscle. I’ve found yoga helps getting to know your body over the years and how to help it. Movement is so important.

Hot baths with epsom’s salts/magnesium salts etc seem to help too.

I felt evening primrose oil helped with the restless legs type thing. i’m a bit wary of magnesium cos you can have too much of you have a good diet which mostly i do. I have taken it to help with sleep but not every day and only one capsule not two recommended.
Too much magnesium is extremely rare tbh. You would have to be consuming an incredible amount of supplements to become toxic.
Just in case people get worried x

griftalo

VIP Member
My Brain fog is getting worse, any tips how to
Improve this
Rehydration tablets help a bit, I’m already on hrt but being dehydrated makes you a bit spacey. I drink tons of water but I’m generally rushing about and sweating, so I think I lose a lot of minerals.

• Heart

Sheeeet

Chatty Member
Anyone recommend anything for staying asleep??I can get to sleep just not stay asleep.

So magnesium glycinate helped a bit but i’m waking after 3/4 hours and that’s it. I’ve had insomnia on and off for decades but it’s so much worse. Kalms night used to work but nope not that now. I’ve tried the salt baths, no tech, breathing techniques, ear plugs etc many times over the years

I’m active, i exercise regularly and also get outside on days off. I work 12 hour days on a busy ward 3/4 days I don’t drink caffeine past 1pm. I eat nutritionally well. I take vitamin D,

Im sat here looking at cbd… anyone had any luck?
Antihistamines can work well, half a tablet when you wake up in the night or a full tablet when you go to bed. I developed a lot of new food allergies and waking at 3am every night (which I read can be histamine related, especially if you wake with a higher heart rate). If that's the reason, you'll know the first night you try and non-branded antihistamines are very inexpensive, so not a big outlay to try it. Just check any meds you take don't interact with them.

@Nurseali Thank you for setting up this thread, I've only just come across it and I am having a read through.
Hugs to everyone struggling, it's a strange time of life!
I turned 52 this week. I was diagnosed, finally, after suffering with severe pain and heavy periods for decades in 2022 with Uterine Adenomyosis, aged 50, and put on continual HRT, as by this point I was bleeding over 2 weeks a month and had a very public meltdown!
I had the Mirena coil fitted 6 months after starting Oestrogel & Provera (Medroxyprogesterone). I was also given a pretty painful Hysteroscopy/Endometrial biopsy & polypectomy. I could have had this under a G.A but given other issues, and wanting it over with, I went ahead without! Not an experience I will forget pain wise, but ruled out anything sinister. I am still monitored with scans every 6 months to check on an ovarian cyst.
Somebody has mentioned itchy skin (pruritus). I noticed this in my late 40's and it drives me nuts, even now. Burning hot, itchy palms, feet & back. My husband recently said, I would probably be arrested if it wasn't for HRT - for raging!
I have no idea 18 months on from starting HRT, where I am regards menopause, but often get cramps and had some very brief spotting blips. Nothing of concern.
I too cried after gynae said "we need to stop your periods until you have naturally passed the menopause" and prescribed HRT. It can literally be a life saver, both physically & mentally.
Apologies for the essay!
My best wishes to you all ❤
---
Would antihistamines help with itchy skin if I’m not having periods? (Due to the mini pill)
I was prescribed Fexofenadine, but as I've said, still experience itching x

Last edited:
  • Heart

Kittylover2019

Chatty Member
@really_whythough
Thank you! I bought a really nice pair of white trousers yesterday, the sales assistant said ‘ooh, you’ll need to be careful with those on’.
I thought you don’t know the half of it love 🙄

• Sad
  • Haha

Meringue22

VIP Member
You know when people say anxiety? What do you all mean?
Is it over little things?or like a loss of confidence?
I'm trying to figure out if I'm being anxious because it's my nature to be quite anxious, or if its my peri.
I’ve always suffered with anxiety tbh but I managed. I went through an absolutely horrific divorce and it pushed me to the edge but somehow I kept going and got through it. That settled down 6 months ago when everything was done and dusted but the past 6 weeks or so the anxiety came back with a vengeance. A very low mood too. I couldn’t pull myself back up and I was genuinely scared about how I felt. I can’t even pinpoint what caused the anxiety which tbh made it worse

• Heart

petitspois

VIP Member
In fairness, the 'HRT causing cancer' message was pretty widespread years ago and it does slightly increase your risk. It just wasn't clear that it reduces your risk of other things such as CVD. Plus, it seems to be revolutionary for some women's symptoms so is obviously a sensible choice. As anything, you have to make a decision for you. It's really disappointing that there are so many people trying to make a quick buck in this area.

ScotLass81

Hi and welcome 🤗

I was prescribed HRT a few months ago and it's been life changing. I actually cried when the doctor on the phone agreed to prescribe HRT for me. I expected a battle.

I made a list of every symptom. From erratic periods to itchy skin to brain fog, sleep. Chuck everything at them and don't let them fob you off with antidepressants. They did this with me last year even though I knew I wasn't depressed.
It's so sad we have to fight like this
Thank you. Sorry to hear you had a battle as well it's absolutely ridiculous! Glad you now have HRT and it's been life changing for you.

I started to make a list but just seen the list that you posted and I'm shocked. I didn't realise that my tinnitus, sudden allergies that came on in the past few years that I've never had before and the fact I am struggling with bloating, nausea and indigestion frequently could be down to perimenopause! I tick nearly every single box on that list.

Tank Girl

VIP Member
The menopause underwear is just cotton AFAIK 🥴. I didn’t see it in real life but it’s hard to find cotton at a good price point esp in bras. I gave up underwire some time ago and most of the wireless options are made from sweaty material. You pay through the nose for natural materials 🫠

Reactions: 4