Peloton

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It feels like months of being inundated with ads for this. Finally looked it up and can't believe it's so much to buy the equipment and then subscribe to it every month.

I get that it being connected is motivational, but you're paying for a live class with thousands of people at the same time for the price of an average gym memebership that includes so much more. Am I missing something or is it another overpriced fad?

I get that they're probably targeting those with a large disposable income and wanting to make it exclusive, but still.

Reactions: 33
Probably great if you could afford it but you can buy a really decent gym quality spin bike for cheaper and there are spin classes on YouTube. I don’t know if you can still use the peloton if you cancel the subscription 🤷‍♀️Think you’d have to really really really love indoor cycling to buy one 😬

Reactions: 9
Probably great if you could afford it but you can buy a really decent gym quality spin bike for cheaper and there are spin classes on YouTube. I don’t know if you can still use the peloton if you cancel the subscription 🤷‍♀️Think you’d have to really really really love indoor cycling to buy one 😬
My friend has a Peloton and because the screen is built in, if you cancel the subscription I don't think the screen works anymore. You could put the bike in front of your TV and use a Youtube video I guess but then it really is just a very expensive bike.

We've just ordered an Apex Ride - quite a bit cheaper (but still pricey) no in-built screen, you just use your iPad or whatever so you don't have to have the subscription necessarily. It is worth it for us as we try to spin a lot but it's increasingly difficult to get on the classes now the gyms are opening, plus they offer a better range of length than the ones at my gym. So the gym has 45mins/one hour, sometimes I don't have time and the Apex has shorter classes like 20 mins which I can almost always fit in. Given we're facing another lockdown potentially I am glad we ordered it. With home spin bikes, I've tried a few cheaper ones and you get what you pay for tbh.

• Wow
Reactions: 13
My friend has a Peloton and because the screen is built in, if you cancel the subscription I don't think the screen works anymore. You could put the bike in front of your TV and use a Youtube video I guess but then it really is just a very expensive bike.

We've just ordered an Apex Ride - quite a bit cheaper (but still pricey) no in-built screen, you just use your iPad or whatever so you don't have to have the subscription necessarily. It is worth it for us as we try to spin a lot but it's increasingly difficult to get on the classes now the gyms are opening, plus they offer a better range of length than the ones at my gym. So the gym has 45mins/one hour, sometimes I don't have time and the Apex has shorter classes like 20 mins which I can almost always fit in. Given we're facing another lockdown potentially I am glad we ordered it. With home spin bikes, I've tried a few cheaper ones and you get what you pay for tbh.
I’m going to have a read about this I’m looking at buying a Life Fitness ic5 but had never heard of Apex so might be a good alternative

Reactions: 2
I’m going to have a read about this I’m looking at buying a Life Fitness ic5 but had never heard of Apex so might be a good alternative
Similar price I think. I was looking at getting a technogym one but the colours of the Apex are just nicer IMO. Went for the sand colour.

Reactions: 1
Similar price I think. I was looking at getting a technogym one but the colours of the Apex are just nicer IMO. Went for the sand colour.
I love the Apex colours. It’s a much nicer looking bike. I really wanted a Technogym one as thats what I’ve used at the gym but it’s £2,300 which is just pushing it a bit too far for me! 😬

We've just ordered an Apex Ride - quite a bit cheaper (but still pricey) no in-built screen
Is that £1200?

I do like the concept but I find the price point for just one exercise so high. I've got quite a bit of home gym stuff and have a huge variety of things for way less than £2k with no subs.

The technogym stuff you don't need at home, it's commercial grade equipment designed to be used for many hours every single day, and the maintenance is equally high.

Reactions: 5
Is that £1200?

I do like the concept but I find the price point for just one exercise so high. I've got quite a bit of home gym stuff and have a huge variety of things for way less than £2k with no subs.

The technogym stuff you don't need at home, it's commercial grade equipment designed to be used for many hours every single day, and the maintenance is equally high.
I think so yeah, we’ve got the pay monthly option. Think it’s £30 a month but can’t remember how long for. It is a lot I agree. What else do you have? I’ve been trying to get a decent barbell and some substantial weights for ages now, nothing’s ever in stock. My gym is open but it’s always rammed atm. I just liked that the technogym stuff feels sturdy and good quality, hate it when you buy a cardio machine and it feels like it’ll break if you’re a lb over 8 stone!

I have a Wattbike at home. There's no screen or subscription involved with it.

I have an IC5 its great. Very comparable to the spin bikes in gyms but far quieter. It has a rubber "chain" as opposed to an actual chain so doesn't require as much maintenance and is a lot quieter.

Edited to add: as far as I am are the peloton wont work at all without subscription as the resistance is linked to the screen. Also the classes are mainly US time so don't fit to UK schedules

This is why we went for the IC5

Robbery, you could get a really nice road bike for way less and just join a local club.

Reactions: 7
I just bought a echelon! Still expensive but around £500-£700 less than Peleton xxx

• Heart
I have an IC5 its great. Very comparable to the spin bikes in gyms but far quieter. It has a rubber "chain" as opposed to an actual chain so doesn't require as much maintenance and is a lot quieter.

Edited to add: as far as I am are the peloton wont work at all without subscription as the resistance is linked to the screen. Also the classes are mainly US time so don't fit to UK schedules

This is why we went for the IC5
Fantastic I’m really pleased to hear that I can’t wait to get it. Can’t see me going back to the gym now.

Last edited:
Fantastic I’m really pleased to here that I can’t wait to get it. Can’t see me going back to the gym now.
I have had mine a few months, in this heatwave it isnt fun as I dont have aircon but in otherwise it is a godsend. I especially like that I don't have to fanny about setting thr bike up in the gym, waiting for class to start etc. I just follow classes on YouTube.

It feels like months of being inundated with ads for this. Finally looked it up and can't believe it's so much to buy the equipment and then subscribe to it every month.

I get that it being connected is motivational, but you're paying for a live class with thousands of people at the same time for the price of an average gym memebership that includes so much more. Am I missing something or is it another overpriced fad?

I get that they're probably targeting those with a large disposable income and wanting to make it exclusive, but still.
Well done for highlighting this. It all looks very good on the tv advert - but what a cost!! By the time the government assistance - furlough etc - is taken away and redundancies kick in, there will be a lot of people stopping their Peloton subscription. Also, those who have expensive vehicles on PCP will be trying to find a way out of it. They will be trying to make out they've been missold the contract.

What else do you have? I’ve been trying to get a decent barbell and some substantial weights for ages now, nothing’s ever in stock.
Weights, bench, rack, selectable dumbbells, X trainer, kettle bells, ab roller, mini trampoline, Swiss ball, hula hoop but I'd still rather go to the gym 😆 adjustable dumbbells are a great thing to have.

Well done for highlighting this. It all looks very good on the tv advert - but what a cost!! By the time the government assistance - furlough etc - is taken away and redundancies kick in, there will be a lot of people stopping their Peloton subscription. Also, those who have expensive vehicles on PCP will be trying to find a way out of it. They will be trying to make out they've been missold the contract.
I think for many people they like that peloton is expensive and exclusive so that plebs like me can't afford it / won't spend that much on it

Reactions: 5

I’m interested in Apex.. what cheaper ones have you tried, out of interest? I found one I’m toying with in the region of £400... wonder if I should just bite the bullet

The thing that put me off of the Apex is it says on the website that if you cancel the subscription you no longer have access to feedback like rpm etc that you usually get on a spin bike. The bike will still work you just won’t have access to any display. Such a shame because it’s the best looking spin bike I’ve seen!

I’m interested in Apex.. what cheaper ones have you tried, out of interest? I found one I’m toying with in the region of £400... wonder if I should just bite the bullet
I haven’t had one for years tbh so I couldn’t tell you what any of them were called, I’ve bought 3 before probably between £400-600 and got rid of them all!

The thing that put me off of the Apex is it says on the website that if you cancel the subscription you no longer have access to feedback like rpm etc that you usually get on a spin bike. The bike will still work you just won’t have access to any display. Such a shame because it’s the best looking spin bike I’ve seen!
Yeah this is very true. For me I’m buying this and then cancelling my gym membership (which I only really use for spin anyway tbh) so I will probably just keep the subscription! I think it’s £30 a month for the app

I haven’t had one for years tbh so I couldn’t tell you what any of them were called, I’ve bought 3 before probably between £400-600 and got rid of them all!

Yeah this is very true. For me I’m buying this and then cancelling my gym membership (which I only really use for spin anyway tbh) so I will probably just keep the subscription! I think it’s £30 a month for the app
Yes it is, I’m cancelling mine too. I feel so guilty about it as I know gyms will become another area that suffer as a result of the pandemic but I just don’t feel a gym is where I want to be at the moment. Not to mention I always felt pretty intimidated there and hated going so barely went 😬 They talked me into freezing my membership and seeing how I feel in 3 months...I am such a pushover 🙄