Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Chita

VIP Member
So, the Stan Laurel story is this below?????

Everyone suspected Thelma Todd had been killed, everyone assumed it was the scorned wife of Roland West that did it.

It wasn't.

It was a movie A lister who was a staple of the same films as Thelma Todd.

He had his greatest success working with a male co-star. The same co-star in every film.

He was having sex with Thelma Todd despite being married.

He always made Thelma have sex with him to keep the roles in films and kept promising to marry her.

Thelma was also married and as well as sleeping with this A list actor to get roles in his movies, she was also having an affair with Roland West.

Thelma found out the A Lister was planning to get married to another woman, phoned him to give him an earful and threatened to tell everyone the truth about what he was really like, then drove to the home of Roland West. She tried to get in but he wouldn’t let her.

His wife had found out about his infidelity and it was all kicking off.

Thelma slept there in her car.

An hour or so later, the A lister showed up and sneaked in through a side door of the garage and strangled her to death with a pair of tights.

He then turned on the engine of the car and walked out. She was found dead next morning and cause of death was said to be carbon monoxide poisoning from her car.

Everyone suspected Thelma had been killed, but everyone assumed it was the scorned wife of Roland West that did it.

Nope.

Now you know who it was. The A lister.

His name was Stan Laurel.

wow.

• Wow
Reactions: 15

DCI Jack Logan

Chatty Member
So my sunset boulevard dvd arrived today I’m so looking forward to watching i, I will give an honest review when done I can’t wait 😛

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Joan Crawford was an said to be an appalling abusive mother to her adopted children.

And Grace Kelly (later Princess Grace of Monaco) was reputedly quite free with her favours 🤣

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
Oh lord this popped up on IG and is so 🥵
Faye Dunaway and Steve Mcqueen. Presumably from The Thomas Crown Affair.

Screenshot_20240224_010555.jpg

• Heart

artnouveau

Chatty Member
Posting here because I think it has more traffic than the blonde movie thread. I did post a rant about the blonde movie as I thought it was awful, painted Marilyn as a victim. I just finished watching the BBC 4 part programme called Reframed Marilyn Monroe, it's very good, has a lot of collaboration with photographers/ script supervisors/ friends and dialogue from Marilyn, it focuses very much on what she achieved and how she stood by her values. Definitely recommend.

• Heart

CallMeHollywood

VIP Member
It’s a shame that this glamorous period is tainted with so many awful stories. However, I can’t imagine it’s overly different now. Our children will be having the same conversations about Angelina Jolie and Jennifer Anniston, Kevin spacey, Weinstein, Ben affleck and tinder, who was on which pills. It will all come back around.

thegirlscout

VIP Member
Merle Oberon believed that Charlotte Selby was her mother and Constance was her half sister. In fact Constance was Merle’s mother, having given birth to her at the age of 12. Charlotte herself gave birth to Constance after a rape at the age of just 14.

• Wow
  • Sad

Reverend

VIP Member
Tell us more?!! 😯
Although don’t, if David is gonna turn out to be another dodgy one! 😬 😂
It's rumoured that Miller died in a Paris brothel and Niven (who was the Officer overseeing the band's arrangements) helped cover up his death.

No bad rumours about David Niven other than that. The best story was about his wife who was a nasty alcoholic shrew, who taunted Niven in his final years. At Nivens funeral, she was so drunk, she started shouting that she was glad Niven was dead, when the usually urbane Roger Moore told her to 'Get in the fucking car and shut up'.

• Wow

littlepup

VIP Member
For anyone who enjoys a wiki-rabbit hole.... It's a little morbid but the page "List of burials at Forest Lawn Memoria Park (Glendale)" clicks through to loads of well and lesser known old Hollywood characters.
I'm not looking at everyone of course but a slow scroll, clicking on a few that died young in the 40s-50s. It's crazy to me how Hollywood is still predominantly associated with glitz and glamour rather than the reality of exploitation, drink and drug problems, scandal and abuse.

tdf

It's nuts the obsession some Americans have with being Irish, all while thinking we're some cute backwards nation, and acting like they're here to save our economy with their dad jeans when they visit as tourists. If you're born in American you're American, possible with irish ancestors. I did love being told while in America that I couldn't be Irish as my name wasn't an Irish name, whereas their name was....and so they were Irish.
Some Americans of Irish descent have odd ideas about Ireland while forgetting their grandparents left the auld sod for a good reason.

• Haha

Dotty Merton

VIP Member
What a fab thread! Such shite weather I've had the telly on more than usual and watched Gentleman Prefer Blondes last week embarrassingly for the first time. LOVED IT. Was reading how Jane and Marilyn got on well irl, 'According to Russell's 1985 autobiography, she called Monroe "Blondie" and was often the only person on the set who could coax Monroe out of her trailer to begin the day's filming.'

• Heart

annanuttall

VIP Member
Watch this cringy interview with Audrey Hepburn:
It cringy as Gloria the interviewer starts talking about curves and Marylin Monroe when it was well known that Audrey Hepburn suffered from malnutrition.

• Wow
  • Sad

CherryAcid

VIP Member
What’s everyone’s thoughts on the wizard of oz set as a whole? With the stories about the munchkins orgys & the potential suicide of one in the background of a scene?

it’s always been one of my favourite films but it was tainted after reading how they treated Judy
Meyer treated Garland appallingly, forced her to lose weight on a soup and cig diet and fed her uppers so she would perform for crazy hours and then downers so she could rest. Thye did the same thing to Mickey Rooney as a child.
The suicide is actually an urban legend, its birds flapping their wings in a tree and someone said it was a munchkin, but not just a bird.

• Sad

lamaitresse

VIP Member
Totally forgot she was in Spencer! What a random casting choice!!
There’s this girl on Instagram and YouTube who’s goal it is to be cast as Audrey Hepburn (she’s taking Dutch, ballet, I think even practicing to smoke like Audrey). I don’t know, I don’t think she’s right either. The problem with casting someone for a biopic is that they are so scrutinised.
Just read the page on Marilyn Monroe and it said the man buried above her was able to be buried face down so he’s always looking down on her?! What the hell?!

Hattie McDaniels?! I didn’t know she swung both ways.
I HATE it that Hefner is buried above Marilyn. Not really old Hollywood but the recent documentary Secrets Of Playboy made him sound like what most people suspect he was, an old, controlling creep.

• Sad

thegirlscout

VIP Member
My mum loved Tyrone Power and Errol Flynn, until she read Flynns autobiography "My Wicked Wicked Ways". In into he told how he and Power would sail boats to Mexico to pick up young guys for sex. She was devastated! Ruined all her teenage films for her
He also used to castrate sheep with his mouth.
I believe David Niven wrote how Errol invited him out one day and Flynn stopped the car by a high school in Beverly Hills to ‘admire the view’. David was mortified.

• Wow
  • Sick