Novak Djokovic

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I thought similar, it seems a little too convenient to allow him to get there and then make a big show of deporting him. Can't see his team and AO officials not checking everything thoroughly either.

Do they still have the exemptions for diplomats and elected officials?

If anything, I'm shocked (but also not at this stage tbh) that the focus is on one individual being given an exemption, and not the sheer volume of citizens who are living under such extreme restrictions! Personally, I'd be thinking "if it's okay to allow him in, they should be letting me travel without being forced to be vaccinated too"

What are thoughts on whether any other players will speak out about this? Or will they just be pleased to not need to play him (I don't follow tennis so don't know how highly ranked he is!)
Do you mean visa exemptions or vaccination exemptions? I believe provided diplomats (along with professional sports people like the tennis players and English Cricket team currently visiting) are vaccinated they're allowed in to the country at the moment. Same goes for any Australian citizens/permanent residents and their immediate family returning to Australia. More details here: https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/travel-restrictions and https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/vaccinated-travellers#toc-2 has info regarding rules requiring vaccinations and possible medical exemptions.

Australia has pretty high vaccination rates, 91% of our 16+ population is double vaccinated. We also have pretty low levels of restrictions - WA is still closed to some states but otherwise we are free to travel within the country (with a negative test result required for some states). The main day to day issue re covid at the moment, aside from rising Omicron cases, is the lack of Rapid Antigen Tests (aka LFTs) I think.

edited to add links.

Reactions: 7
I wonder if his entourage are all vaccinated? Or do they abide by his beliefs.

Reactions: 5
I think he can get his visa if he goes home then comes back again? It's a roundabo
I thought similar, it seems a little too convenient to allow him to get there and then make a big show of deporting him. Can't see his team and AO officials not checking everything thoroughly either.

Do they still have the exemptions for diplomats and elected officials?

If anything, I'm shocked (but also not at this stage tbh) that the focus is on one individual being given an exemption, and not the sheer volume of citizens who are living under such extreme restrictions! Personally, I'd be thinking "if it's okay to allow him in, they should be letting me travel without being forced to be vaccinated too"

What are thoughts on whether any other players will speak out about this? Or will they just be pleased to not need to play him (I don't follow tennis so don't know how highly ranked he is!)
He's currently number 1 as far as I'm aware.

Reactions: 1
The Guardian's done a decent summation with info. Sounds like the State Government & Tennis Australia had approved the medical exemption but Border Force (ie the Federal Government) weren't satisfied with the exemption. Interestingly apparently three other people involved in the Aus Open with a similar exemption/visa have been allowed in. I think perhaps the Australian government saw this as a way to make an example of him - public sentiment was also generally againist him getting an exemption, so I imagine the Australian Government saw it as a good PR exercise. We also have an election in a few months so the PM is in campaign mode.
So says Tennis Australia, but the nature of his exemption is murky. There's a chance the others let in genuinely couldn't get the vaccine prior to the period an infection prevented them getting it. Meanwhile Old Mate had a period between his confirmed infection in 2020 and the one we all assume he had in the last 6 months in which only his antivaxx beliefs stopped him being vaccinated, which might render any medical exemption moot.

Reactions: 5
So says Tennis Australia, but the nature of his exemption is murky. There's a chance the others let in genuinely couldn't get the vaccine prior to the period an infection prevented them getting it. Meanwhile Old Mate had a period between his confirmed infection in 2020 and the one we all assume he had in the last 6 months in which only his antivaxx beliefs stopped him being vaccinated, which might render any medical exemption moot.
Yeah, I side eye a medical exemption since it's been pretty clear up until now he has remained unvaccinated due to his beliefs rather than a medical condition.

Reactions: 11
Good. He's an arrogant wanker with no thought for others. Why should everyone have to deal with his ignorant and wilful travel to a country struggling to contain Covid.

Reactions: 22
Yeah, I side eye a medical exemption since it's been pretty clear up until now he has remained unvaccinated due to his beliefs rather than a medical condition.
Yeah, it's very against the spirit of it. A medical exemption is intended to be just that - someone is unable to be vaccinated on medical grounds. It's not meant to serve as a way of getting around missing out due to a personal choice not to be vaccinated.

Reactions: 15
A couple of players have commented on it.

Jamie Murray: "I mean, I don't know what to say about that really... I think if it was me that wasn't vaccinated, I wouldn't be getting an exemption. But well done to him for getting clear to come to Australia and compete."

Alex de Minaur: “I just think it’s very interesting. That’s all I’m going to say.”

These were both about the vaccine exemption, as they were said prior to the visa shambles.

It certainly does seem to be a handy coincidence that he has been so vociferously anti-vax, has been dismissive of covid cautions, and is suddenly fortuitously medically exempt from vaccination.

If his ego allowed him to keep his mouth shut, people wouldn’t be quite so sceptical.

Reactions: 15
I fully agree with Alan Jones

"It may be unfashionable to make the point but we should be seriously concerned, not about why Novak Djokovic was granted an exemption but rather why he is now being treated like a virtual criminal.
Whatever emotions might dictate, the image to the rest of the world is of the police state that we have seen operating in Victoria for some time.
In these things, facts go out the window.
The first fact of significance is that Tennis Australia has imposed far tougher rules for those seeking exemption than would apply to any other Australian entering the country.
All applications are what is being called "blind", that is, all personal details - name, country etc. - have been redacted.
It is clear that the bulk of the applications for exemption by players and officials have been rejected.
The Djokovic application was approved but, repeating, the approval was granted without the expert panels knowing the name of the applicant.
So, Djokovic arrives in Melbourne with an exemption. Then he was told his visa application was flawed.
But those asking Djokovic to give reasons why he has been granted an exemption are now not giving reasons why the visa application is flawed.
It appears that other players, unnamed, with similar visa applications, have been allowed into the country.
But all that aside, is this an appropriate image for Australia? That the world's leading tennis player, with no convictions of any kind other than the fact that some may disagree with his views, is now being treated like a criminal; firstly, reportedly, hauled up in a room at midnight with armed guards and then, reportedly, being told to leave the country tonight.
And now, politically, it is being weaponised.
The federal government are trying to say the Victorian Labor government were prepared to let Djokovic in when, in fact, visa matters are a matter for the federal government.
It gives every impression, as with so many issues, that governments are prepared to abandon facts and cave in to pressure from the left-wing Twitter mob.
Admittedly, people are angry that apparently unvaccinated people, be they tennis players or anyone else, are allowed into the country when other Australians have made massive sacrifices.
But Djokovic did not make the rules. He just applied for an exemption.
The exemption was objectively assessed by "medical experts".
Djokovic was granted an exemption.
Now it appears that the visa rules which have applied to others who were granted exemptions, do not apply to Djokovic.
It is easy to see Djokovic as the villain; but the image of an Australia treating a bloke like a common criminal owes more to the behaviour of a police state than it does to a liberal democracy.
You either have rule by law or rule by the mob.
Which is it?"

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Good send the arrogant prat back home he thinks he can do what he likes because he's NO1. Now don't get me wrong if you don't want to take the vaccine that is your own choice but if Australia's rules are no vaccine no entry then fair enough!

Nadal has also commented saying if you want to play in Australia get vaccinated!

• Heart
Reactions: 24
Unvaxxed and couldn’t produce proof of his medical exemption when asked at the airport. The whole thing is a bit ridiculous. The government is just enjoying the distraction from all their current dramas over covid tests.
It’s in the name isn’t it, NoVac 😅

• Haha
i hear what Alan Jones is saying however he too is being very emotive using language like criminal, hauled, midnight, armed guards etc.

my understanding of Australian passport control (and lots of other countries) is that people are normally placed in a cell if their visas are rejected and deported on the first plan back. The fact Novax is in a hotel screams privilege.

Regardless of Novak’s choice, like others, we have all had to make sacrifices over the last two years and regardless, he shouldn’t be treated differently. If we all need to be vaccinated to travel, then so should he.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
I'd listen to Alan Jones if he weren't a misogynistic dinosaur. He loves to stir tit IMHO.

I find all this quite amusing, he obviously got a couple of well paid drs to do dodgy medical exemption and Aus authrorities not buying it. Good on Australia. Now if they could just deport the English cricket team before we're further humiliated.

• Haha
Reactions: 20
I'd listen to Alan Jones if he weren't a misogynistic dinosaur. He loves to stir tit IMHO.
Just because you might not like someone, it doesn't make them wrong. Yes, he is a dinosaur but that write up of his is 100% spot on.

Reactions: 3