Northern Ireland Conflict

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm not too sure how the health ,benefits or tax system works in the south but I think they've got it too cushy in the north to give that up ,the south wouldn't want to support us northeners either.
Iā€™m not sure itā€™s the south wouldnā€™t want to support the northerners, I think we canā€™t afford to. People here (Dublin) underestimate the value of the NHS, no one from NI would want to pay ā‚¬60 just to see a GP & then whatever the cost of a prescription is on top of that. Correct me if Iā€™m wrong, but I have been led to believe that a lot of people are employed by government in one form or another, what would happen to those jobs? In my view it should not matter what we want in the south or what the UK want, there are only 6 counties at this point whos views on a United Ireland should shape future discussions - and only if itā€™s something that is overwhelmingly desired by the people of NI does planning for it come into play.

Reactions: 6
Iā€™m not sure itā€™s the south wouldnā€™t want to support the northerners, I think we canā€™t afford to. People here (Dublin) underestimate the value of the NHS, no one from NI would want to pay ā‚¬60 just to see a GP & then whatever the cost of a prescription is on top of that. Correct me if Iā€™m wrong, but I have been led to believe that a lot of people are employed by government in one form or another, what would happen to those jobs? In my view it should not matter what we want in the south or what the UK want, there are only 6 counties at this point whos views on a United Ireland should shape future discussions - and only if itā€™s something that is overwhelmingly desired by the people of NI does planning for it come into play.
There's a lot of people employed in gov funded companies ,invest NI brings a lot of foreign companies to the north only because they get a grant from the gov when that runs out most of them pack up and leave unless they're able to establish a profitable business that can sustain their workforce ,most are call centre / It based and Belfast seems to get the bulk of them ,everyewhere else is an unemployment blackspot .

A few American companies walked away without an executive they couldnā€™t release any funds this year

Reactions: 1
Doesn't seem to be a remedy for political stalemate it's a chronically ongoing condition .

Iā€™d doubt thereā€™d be too many documents knocking about even if there were itā€™s not like Gerry would keep them in a box in the attic lol.

Christ, Santa Claus maybe ! But Barry Gibb šŸ˜‚
81BCA456-725D-46F5-905E-F58A9A720D36.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 3
bleeping hell somebody get that man to a hairdressers šŸ¤£
It's his new image ,he's game for a laugh now some really weird and wonderful things coming from our Gerry šŸ˜‚ ...Poor Barry Gibb lol.

:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Not long till the election do you think the shinners will come out on top , Gerry's already planted the United Ireland tree lol.

Reactions: 6
Itā€™s thought that Michael Collins signed the Anglo Irish treaty with the belief that heā€™d regain the North down the line, he was murdered shortly after signing it so who knows if heā€™d ever have achieved it or not. If you can forgive Julia Robertsā€™ attempt at an Irish accent the Michael Collins film is a good watch.
For whatā€™s it worth I do believe Ireland will vote for reunification one day but thatā€™s another story. I really hope Ukraine stand strong against Russia, to sacrifice even an inch of land would be surrendering it all. Putin will get his little Cuban heeled feet under the table and be the unwanted guest that never goes home.
If your historical references serve you correctly, Mr Collins was shot by your first Presidentā€™s men. Mr de Valera had blood on his hands. Talking of hands, please keep yours off our beautiful Northern Ireland! I love the south, Dublin would rank high among my favourite cities but Iā€™ve no wish to be under Rome rule. Most have no idea what the ā€œnormal ā€œ people went through here. I grew up in a very mixed, very happy area of Belfast. In 1971 we were ā€œput outā€ of our houses so Catholics could have them. By the same token my friend Aineā€™s mum was put out of her happy family home for Protestants. I pray for peace in Northern Ireland but no reunification. PS Didnā€™t we do well at the rugby??

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
I'm not sure how many want reunification, it seems only one side feel threatened while the other don't have a choice .

Reactions: 2
I thought at one time reunification might happen but seems too far gone now. How similar are ROI and NI culturally?

Thatā€™s a hard one to answer because the north pretty much have their own traditions .

Reactions: 1
About 25 years ago I used to work with a number of companies in N.Ireland and once or twice a year I'd travel over and visit them. One time my wife came with me so that after I had finished business we could enjoy a long weekend on the Antrim coast. It was wonderful by the way.

One of the companies I dealt with was in Derry and the managing director drove us round the city to see the sites. It was early August. My wife suddenly said "Oh look, I'm surprised those people are having their double glazing done". Short pause and the MD said "Actually Mrs Moth they are boarding up their windows before the marches".

Reactions: 5
The towns usually come to a standstill to accommodate the orange order traditional routes.

I think SF largest party is looking exceedingly likely for the next election. I just can't see how the DUP can retain their same numbers with how they have been; UUP, all of that Beattie twitter stuff aside, do look to be staging themselves as the option for the more moderate unionist vote.

I don't necessarily agree though that SF taking the largest number of votes is indicative of a need for a referendum on unification - I think Michelle O'Neill would be jumping the gun a bit to start shouting for one so soon.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.